Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2020, 12:17 AM   #1

Hello All

So Hello, I have been a tent camper for many years and am ready to upgrade to something just above a tent and would like some honest opinions on a popup. I live in upstate NY and camp alot in VT,NY non hookup mostly BoonDocking

Right now looking at the Rockwood freedom 1950LTD (no bathroom cabinet) I need something under 2k GVW towing as my vehicle (09 jeep patriot) is only rated to that. The rockwood seems a perfect fit for size weight and features and about 7k new for the 2019. But as I have never used one there may be better mFgs with better options I don't know. so many little questions,how long does the battery last using say the bed heaters,lighting only how long does a tank of propane last for the heater and fridge water heater propane I am assuming didn't see much on the papers.
I am comprising a list of questions I should ask as well.
Thanks all looking forward on meeting everyone
FFcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:27 AM   #2

Pop ups are great and a nice way to get started.

We have owned several. For boondocking, they don't use a lot of power and a generally pretty efficient..

If you're going to be out for more than one night though you'd probably run into issues using the bed heaters. They'll use more power. When we had our pop-up, I think I used the bed heaters a few times. IMO, it's a nice to have but not needed. Also, if it doesn't have LED lighting, I'd recommend converting that as well.

The 3-way fridge (if equipped) will just need propane to run which is a nice feature.

An extra battery can be added and I would think that dual 6v batteries in a series would be the best bet for you but you can see how it goes.

The pop-up is just like your tent though.. don't expect to stay warmer (or cooler) than you would if you were on the ground. In some cases, it's just the opposite.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFcamper View Post
So Hello, I have been a tent camper for many years and am ready to upgrade to something just above a tent and would like some honest opinions on a popup. I live in upstate NY and camp alot in VT,NY non hookup mostly BoonDocking

Right now looking at the Rockwood freedom 1950LTD (no bathroom cabinet) I need something under 2k GVW towing as my vehicle (09 jeep patriot) is only rated to that.
Welcome to FRF! I owned two popups for about 15 years.
According to FR's website, the 1950LTD has a GVWR of almost 2300lbs. And the fictional dry tongue weight of 195lbs will easily be over 200lbs, once you add the weights of battery, water and cargo.
Can your Patriot handle more weight?
And for any popup owner, Popup Gizmos are a must.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:52 PM   #4
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal!
Old 02-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum from Georgia. Enjoy and Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Welcome to FRF! I owned two popups for about 15 years.
According to FR's website, the 1950LTD has a GVWR of almost 2300lbs. And the fictional dry tongue weight of 195lbs will easily be over 200lbs, once you add the weights of battery, water and cargo.
Can your Patriot handle more weight?
And for any popup owner, Popup Gizmos are a must.
Agreed. You're not going to be happy when you have to turn around and get a new vehicle to tow it with once you get it ready for camping. Everyone camps different but by the time you add hitch weight, a cooler, water, batteries, blankets, pillows for both beds, food, chairs, etc. before you know it, you'll be approaching or blowing by that 2300 lbs GVWR.

I'd figure 500 lbs of cargo if your taking someone with you and 300 if your by yourself. So look for something that weights in the 1500 range empty and you'll have a chance at staying under your 2000 lb goal.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #7

i did not think the bed heaters ran off the battery as they plug into the outlets which only work on 120V. So i would not count on using those if boondocking.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
i did not think the bed heaters ran off the battery as they plug into the outlets which only work on 120V. So i would not count on using those if boondocking.
You can get 12v ones too..
Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001122SZQ..._.rVsEbX505ATM

Some pop-ups have them standard others have them as an option. Come to think about it one of mine was definitely 120v but someone could easily put a 12v one in there if you really wanted to.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:21 AM   #9

I'm taking a wild guess you mean a 1940LTD. If so it is the same as a Flagstaff 206LTD. My 206LTD came out of the factory at 1608 pounds. Look around the unit. There should be a white sticker that will give you the gross weight as it left the factory (does not include weight of any dealer added stuff - battery - full tank of propane - etc). On mine, after adding a deep cycle battery, roof air, a full propane tank, some bedding, cooking utensils and other goodies my gross weight came out to 1920 pounds. Loaded tongue weight was 295 pounds which was over the 200 pound limit of my 2015 Dodge Journey's stated limit.

Journey had the 3.5 V-6 along with factory engine oil cooler and sport suspension. Actually handled the weight well. Very little squat when trailer was hooked on. That being said, I was always leery of having the hitch over weighted that much.

I'm not sure that 4 banger of yours will be happy towing that much weight. Also remember that the 2000 pound tow limit is only good if you have the factory tow package on it (engine oil cooler). If not you only have a 1000 pound limit. Jeep dealer should be able to look up your build sheet from your VIN and let you know if you do or not. They might charge you a couple bucks to do it but well worth the peace of mind.
Iowa Frogfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote