RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-30-2020, 11:44 PM   #1
eGo

Hello All, 93' Palomino Mustang DD!

Hello and Good Evening All!

My wife and I recently bought a 1993 Palomino Mustang DD. Itís going to be a complete gut job/renovation. We plan to document the process in an effort to help others who may decise to take this adventure in the future. It has the electric winch system for raising and lowering the top. We think we have almost all of the parts for the slide out beds and tents. We will be replacing the canvas as the existing one is garbage. Planning on going with Bear Creek Canvas. Does anybody have a good source for a write up on rebuilding the bed extensions? Thatís the biggest part of the project we will have to tackle.

We managed to get the canvas completely removed. It looks like we will have to rebuild all 4 of the roof side pieces. The ceiling piece appears to be in tact with no major issues. The driver side of the PuP is the worst. The lift arms on that side are not even attached, so when we raise the top theyíre actually pushing up on the ceiling. So our first big goal will be rebuilding the top.

Also tested the air conditioner and it actually works! I found a video somewhere of what needs to be done to rehab them and make them run as good as they can. Super happy that worked.

I also found the stabilizers that I thought had been removed when I was looking around underneath the body. I am kind of curious of the leveling process as they arenít the jack style, theyíre just legs that extend to the ground and lock in place.

Hopefully we will be able to complete the top rebuild over the next two weeks. Once the top has been rebuilt we will move on to removing the entire interior and rebuilding it to the original layout as it would have come from Palomino. And then the beds will be rebuilt. Then we will probably paint the whole thing inside and out prior to installing the new canvas.

We hope to have all of this done by end of May. We have a trip the first 2nd week of June and when we return we hit the road for the Grand Canyon, Yellow Stone, Rushmore and Lake Itasca and all points in between!

Looking for all the information, links, resources I can handle. It would be great if somebody could point me in the direction of pictures to how the bed slide outs are constructed and new rails.. I know at least two of the rails were destroyed by the previous owner. I suppose I could find a machine shop somewhere and see what they would charge to build some new ones, but if there are other options, I'm open.

TIA!

eGo
eGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:30 AM   #2
Site Team

Moved to the Tent Camper and Popup section.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
palomino