Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #1

Question Help!!! Soft Floor in a HW256...

This seems to be a great forum with a lot of knowledge. I usually sit on the sidelines and read other's posts. Now, I'm hoping to get some help for myself. I'm sorry if this has been covered before. I tried using the search function, but wasn't having much luck. I've got an issue with the floor of our HW256 that I'm not really sure about how to go about addressing. There a are three areas that are showing signs of water damage. I think I've gotten the leaks taken care of, but cannot decide on a plan of attack to repair the floor. Can the decking be repaired without disassembling and replacing the entire floor? From underneath, there is no damage visible. It doesn't even bow when stepped on. Are there multiple layers within the floor? I've peeled back the vinyl at the door opening (the first location to show signs of softness) and it looks like the OSB board is starting to come apart. Can each section be cut away individually and replaced? The image shows where the damage areas are located. Any input I can get is very appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water-Damage.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	86031  
Old 08-18-2015, 11:02 AM   #2

I would think that a good quality marine plywood cut to fit inside the steel frame under the floor would fix the problem. I would use construction adhesive between the two layers and hold it with screws down from the top and under the vinyl.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #3

I was thinking of bracing from the bottom when it started becoming obvious. However, there isn't any signs of sagging noticeable from below. Not even if DW is standing inside the camper trying to flex it. That's why I was wondering if there were multiple layers. :-/
Old 08-19-2015, 07:49 PM   #4

Hi Dan.

I feel for you.

I few things you need to check out.

I believe you do not have a plywood floor. You may have a foam floor.

The floor in your camper is probably a 1/8" luan/foam/1/4"luan sandwich. These floors are a bit more work as you cannot simply buy a like thickness of plywood and fix it.

Good luck,

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:51 AM   #5

No, it's definitely OSB particle board. Or at least that's what's under the vinyl right at the front door.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #6

Nice. That makes it much easier for you.

On my unit, it had the foam floor. Other pop ups show the OSB from underneath but mine was covered underneath with a black plastic membrane.

You should be able to cut out the bad pieces and replace with like thickness OSB. You cannot fix it totally because the vinyl flooring goes under the cabinates. What many people do is simply cut out the visible floor and replace with new vinyl. It will not match under the cabinates but some people can live with that.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 08-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #7
peaceparson

Our vacation prep was complicated when we discovered a soft spot in the storage area of our FR PUP, and light was showing through a rather large section. The floor is made of marine grade plywood. The manufacturer's booklet guarantees it for life, saying that each fiber is treated and waterproofed. We cut out the soggy and rotted portion and layed in a section of plywood of similar quality, then sealed around the cut and across the entire rear of the trailer with waterproof foam insulation. Our next step will be to spray paint the underside of all the new stuff with waterproof paint, similar to what is already there. You should be able to do the same--just make sure that the replacement wood is waterproofed and that it is the same thickness as what you remove. The original floor is one sheet, so you should be able to cut out sections without taking the insides apart. I shined a light throughout the interior and under all storage compartments to make certain there are no leaks from underneath--like water splashing up from a wet road. good luck!
peaceparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #8

Our 23 lb had a spongy floor and we contacted Forest river and took it to the factory . It was just out of 2 year extended service. I had no water damage but they forgot to glue it properly. They lifted my whole tailor up and put on a new floor. Ours was a factory defect.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies. The bottom does seem to have the black membrane underneath. But there is definitely OSB on the top under the vinyl flooring. Any idea how thick the OSB is? I'd like to cut the particle board out without damaging the underlayment. I don't have a problem with replacing the vinyl. And I'm almost positive that FR would never cover this. It's a 2006. And I'm the third owner (at least). Any idea what a shop might charge to repair something like this?
Old 08-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #10

You will not know for sure until you cut into the floor. The membrane is not a good sign.

My current unit is only 1/2" OSB. I can clearly see the OSB exposed under it.

I wish they had used a bit more like 5/8". That extra bit makes a big difference in plywood. Oh well. Such are the ways with Forest River.

Typical cost is all over the place. It is not a big job to do to patch it. Again, the problem is it is gonna look like a patch job.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 08-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #11

Should be able to measure the thickness of the floor at the entrance way, using an inexpensive large C-clamp. Just mark the location on the clamp threads when tightened, then measure opening after removal. Won't be to the MM like it would be with a large micrometer, but that is not a usual tool to have around the house.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:54 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
The floor is part of the wall to wall structure of the camper so it's hard to take out much and replace it, it need to connect to the boards adjoining. One thought is once you have the leaks under control is to pull up the vinyl and lay down luan over the entire floor (mastic to the sub floor). The put vinyl over the top. Watch the height for cabinets and your slideout.

My floor repair on my last camper:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cdrdwd...57627084950665

Good luck.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:33 AM   #13

It appears that you also had a foam floor. What is the thickness? It looked like you had a 1/2 of white and then 1 1/2" of pink foam! That is 2" thick + luan. Are the foam floors that thick? wow.

Hopefully the OP has an OSB floor. The foam floors are a bit more involved to repair as you found out.

Great idea on the C-clamp F5.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 08-21-2015, 07:01 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Vin,

My old floor was 1/4" luan 1.5" foam (white original, pink replace) and 1/4" laun.
I added an additional 1/4 laun on top, this made the floor better than new.

(apparently form my last post, I can't spell, can't type and don't proof read)
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrlewis73 View Post
Thanks for the replies. The bottom does seem to have the black membrane underneath. But there is definitely OSB on the top under the vinyl flooring. Any idea how thick the OSB is? I'd like to cut the particle board out without damaging the underlayment. I don't have a problem with replacing the vinyl. And I'm almost positive that FR would never cover this. It's a 2006. And I'm the third owner (at least). Any idea what a shop might charge to repair something like this?
danrlewis,,, are you saying the OSB floor is exposed under the trailer ???
We had a StarCraft popup years ago,,, bottom was covered with Stainless Steel,,, one of the reasons we bought A StarCraft !!!
The floor should not be visible from underneath ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #16

This is probably not possible,,, but as an old floorcovering installer,,, I have to wonder if you could subfloor over existing floor,,,, and install new vinyl ???
I think no matter what you do,,, the existing floor must be covered underneath !!!
I Think ???
Old 08-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #17

Apparently the reason the underneath is exposed is to allow it to breath. One must understand that the inside is covered with non-breathable vinyl flooring. If the bottom was sealed to the elements also, then any moisture that got into the wood would be unable to escape and potentially lead to mold then rot.

Not quite sure how factual the above is but that has been the conventional wisdom. Many old time pop up owners will mention the floor on their units were exposed underneath and lasted for decades.

I too think it is counter intuitive to have the bottom exposed to the elements, especially road spray, but it does seem to be ok.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 08-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #18

I have never seen a TT or a Manufactured Home where the floor was exposed,,,
They have a name for that Black Plastic they use,,, just can't remember what they call it ??? They also make a special tape to repair it with !!! Maybe Dan should check with FR and find out if there is something missing under his Pop-Up ???
Old 08-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #19

Many PUPs (Coleman, Fleetwood, many Rockwood/Flagstaff) and A-frames have OSB (not particle board) floors and end bunks. Oriented Strand Board (especially the brand names used by the PUP manufacturers) has reasonable water resistance(better than most plywood) if allowed to dry after being wetted. Immersion will eventually cause problems. The recommendation for the OSB floors is to leave them uncoated on the bottom so that road splash can dry easily. As has been said, many OSB floors on PUPs last for years under these conditions.

What causes problems is where mud/dirt/frame traps the water against the OSB (on the bottom) or it gets under the vinyl flooring and trapped against the OSB on top. In either case, the OSB never dries properly and the exposed wood strands may start to soften.

In the more expensive and lighter RVs, foam core is used to save weight compared to OSB - OSB is a little heavier than plywood of the same thickness.

Repairing OSB itself is easy - simply cut out and replace the softened area with high quality plywood or OSB. Redoing the vinyl covering is more problemmatic - the vinyl is laid down as a single sheet before the cabinetry is installed during assembly of a PUP and A-frame. So either you piece mis-matching vinyl or take the time to remove all the furniture/cabinetry. The latter will be a better rebuild, especially if you refasten the cabinetry when you put it back, but is much more time-consuming.

just my experiences
Fred W
then 1986 Coachmen PUP
2000 Coleman Westlake PUP
now 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:16 PM   #20

My 2015 HW296 has exposed OSB that has been painted black on the bottom face.