Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2021, 09:20 PM   #1

Helpful suggestions for using the indoor shower

Well, my daughter finally used the indoor shower this year and I learned a few things. Vinyl curtain won't work because they're sticky and she wrapped it around her even being careful not to. The factory curtain doesn't work, even after spraying with waterproofing, as water just sprays right though it.

So I finally found a material curtain that is mostly water resistant and won't allow water on the floor. Its from menards. Now if water is allowed to sit on it, not run off, it will soak through but mostly not a problem as it's in the shower containment area. Otherwise, the water runs down it and not through it like the factory shower curtain. Here's the curtain. Unfortunately, at night with the lights on, it can be seen a bit through the curtain, not so much during the day. So you may want to use the shower privacy curtain, along with the bunk privacy curtain, if you take a shower at night or use it for toilet privacy.

The other problem is the garden hose connection that I've been using works OK, but hose has to be pulled just right to get decent flow. Even then, it's not large enough to allow enough flow to keep a bit of pooling from happening in the shower pan.

So I found some adapters to use a 3" RV sewer hose. Since my outlet is the front right corner, I had to use a 10' and a 20' sewer hose.

I had to use 2 lug adapter fitting on the 20' hose, and a lug and bayonet fitting on the 10' hose, then a sewer hole fitting.

I used a female to female garden hose connector.

A 1-1/2" femaie NPT to Garden hose adapter.

A bayonet 3" waste valve cap with garden hose connection.

a 20' and 10' section of 3" RV sewer hose with no adapters, that can be found anywhere.

Then 3 sewer hose adapter sets to use 2 lug adapters on the 20' section, and a lug and bayonet adapter on the 10' section. I also use a 4 in 1 sewer elbow to drain to the sewer hole.

I also use a 30" sewer hose support.

So if you have an opposite sex child, and don't have a family shower room, you may find this useful so using your indoor shower isn't a pain in the butt.
2024 Black Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude 4WD, 121" WB, 3.6L, 8 speed, Blacked Out Package, 265/50R20 wheels, 6,200# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:34 PM   #2

This goes in the sewer hole:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a garden hose from that hose adapter on your camper to the above drain.

No sewer gasses that way.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
This goes in the sewer hole:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a garden hose from that hose adapter on your camper to the above drain.

No sewer gasses that way.
I have those, but hard to get good flow using a garden hose as a drain. The 3" hose works great as it's wider and larger to have more than enough room for the incoming flow.

A garden hose is actually undersized or right at the size needed for the incoming flow. Even with the air admittance valve (which don't work nearly as good as actual vent), I couldn't get great flow. With the 3" sewer hose, my shower drain works as good as my previous travel trailer sewer drains.
2024 Black Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude 4WD, 121" WB, 3.6L, 8 speed, Blacked Out Package, 265/50R20 wheels, 6,200# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:20 PM   #4

Have you seen the link on turning the 1.5inch outlet into a 3inch? I have done it & it works great!
Old 09-16-2021, 08:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campworthy View Post
Have you seen the link on turning the 1.5inch outlet into a 3inch? I have done it & it works great!
Yes, but with my floorplan, the 1-1/2" outlet is very very low and I have a hard time using a blue tote which is only about a 1" or less lower than the outlet.

I use the swivel 1-1/2" FPT to Garden Hose elbow so I can turn the garden swivel inside the blue tote opening.

Using a 3" sewer hose adapter and hose would make the shower outlet lower than the blue tote, and then cause the 3" hose to the tote to be higher than the shower pan and cause problems with draining.

With my setup, I can use the 1-1/2" swivel to garden hose elbow by itself when using the blue tote, or use 1-1/2" swivel to 3" sewer hose to the campsite septic hole.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:45 AM   #6

https://www.amazon.com/Barker-Manufa...%2C172&sr=8-23
smither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smither View Post
Unfortunately that tote can only be pulled by hand. Barker states it could be damaged if pulled by a hitch adapter, as most other larger blue totes can be used with.

With my state campgrounds, hand pulling is not an option. The dumpstations are to far away from the campsites.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:48 PM   #8
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91 View Post
A garden hose is actually undersized or right at the size needed for the incoming flow. Even with the air admittance valve (which don't work nearly as good as actual vent), I couldn't get great flow.
This worked for me on my pop up's sink. It is a low-tech solution and a bit crude: drill a hole in the hose. Drill the hole in the top of the hose right where it attaches to the trailer. Mine didn't leak and the sink emptied lickety-split.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
This worked for me on my pop up's sink. It is a low-tech solution and a bit crude: drill a hole in the hose. Drill the hole in the top of the hose right where it attaches to the trailer. Mine didn't leak and the sink emptied lickety-split.
I have no problem on the sink. I stretch either a short 4' hose to a small blue tote or use a hose whip (end cut off) to a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and small hole in lid for hose. Never a problem. A hose that is not stretched tightly needs a vent added which I had done to previous pop ups.

I now use my used 'wash' water to put out my campfires after recommendations to do this from numerous forum members. It saves my firewood for the following night.

The problem comes in with the shower where 30' of hose is needed to an on-site septic hole. I have an 'air admittance valve' built into the 1-1/2" pipe from the factory but it's pretty useless. Even with the AAV, a slope is needed in a garden hose which can't be achieved while being on the ground. With a hose support, it helps, but flow is still not the greatest.

Tags
door, show, shower