Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #1

High Wind + Roof Repair = No good

I had some water damaged OSB on the roadside at the front liftarm of the roof. On Sunday (2/24/13) I removed the side panel to start working on it. I had to remove about 20 inches of the OSB. I put the side panel in the garage to finish it during the coming week. The weather report said there was a slight chance of rain and it was going to be a 15-25 MPH wind on Monday (2/25/13). I covered the camper with a tarp, secured with a rope and elastic cords (i.e. bungee). Well the wind turned out to be a lot worse than expected. We had winds of 54 MPH. This wind tore the tarp and the roof off the camper. The roof landed on my wife's Expedition and shattered the windshield. The Expedition is at the service center getting checked out. I have full coverage on the camper and they are going to look at it soon. I hope they will replace the roof for me, and any other damage that occurred as a result of that terrible wind.

Any thoughts on how much a new roof would be?
huizarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Sorry to hear about the wind damage. Hopefully you will get both the trailer & your wife's Expedition taken care of quickly so you won't need to worry any longer. I have no idea how much a roof could be.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #3

Roof Cost

I found a number to Rockwood parts and called them for a quote for insurance purposes.

They said a 16' roof would be $1390, the crate fee would be $200.01, and the shipping would be about $500. All told a little less than $2100 for the roof.

It looks like I will have to wait until Monday (3/4/13) to meet with the GEICO adjuster as they have a manditory training session on Thursday and Friday in Dallas.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #4

Initial quote

It looks like the initial quote came it at just over $3500. I will have to pay my $500 deductible and they will cover the rest. Right now they say they will be reusing the parts that are reusable (door, A/C, smoke detector, CO detector, privacy curtain rails, etc.)

What is really bad is we will not camp for about 2 months as the lead time on the roof is 4 to 6 weeks.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #5

The insurance company is going to total out the camper. The RV repair shop found a twist in the frame.

We put down a deposit on a Rockwood Roo 23IKSS. This is a custom build so it will take up to 8 weeks for us to get the unit.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Always Learning

Sorry and congrats, I guess.

Beware on the 8-weeks. This is the RV manufacturer's busiest time of the year. Delivery times after the build are pretty rough - lots of RVs and limited # of drivers.