Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #1

High winds

Does anyone know how popups hold up to wind? Like when it's a good idea to pack it up and go home? I've never been in a windstorm with a popup. Currently I'm in a really bad windstorm. A metal xpen for dogs has been moved and chairs blown all over. Weather report says that it's currently 10 mph (feels like more) and things are really shaking. Weather report says it's supposed to go to 22mph. I can deal with the shaking but wondered about canvas ripping etc. I've been in pretty bad wind storms in a tent but seemed to have more give.

Thanks
Packncycle

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 11-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
Always Learning

I think they're rated much higher than you'd guess. I only have 1 experience and that was a campground just off of a bay in MD. There weren't a whole lot of trees to break the wind up. It was blowing hard enough to lift the beds while we were laying on them. Very disconcerting, but we didn't have one iota of issues.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #3

Just curious. Aren't the eye bolts installed at the 4 corners of the top by the manufacturer anymore. Came in handy a few times for high wind tie downs years ago on my pop up. I did say "years ago" though.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #4

I recently spent an entire night in Moab, Ut in my popup during a wind storm. Wind was constant 30-35 mph with 50 mph gusts. Only damage was no sleep that night. Canvas was popping and the camper top would sway and rattle. The side wall on the windward side was bowed in so much that it pushed a shelving unit over onto the floor.
Mntbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #5

Thanks that helps. It's been freaky this early morning everything moving as it has. Never been through it like that second time out.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Just curious. Aren't the eye bolts installed at the 4 corners of the top by the manufacturer anymore. Came in handy a few times for high wind tie downs years ago on my pop up. I did say "years ago" though.

My 2001 Coleman didn't have anything like that.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #7

Everyone has been sooo helpful. I love this site and you guys on it. This is going to be a not so fun day as its 30 mph winds all day. I need to go take a drive .

What I realized is the most annoying thing is that the awning that's wrapped in its case that hangs at the top keeps banging hard against the roof. Not sure how to stop that for now and future. The other thing not so great is that I have new canvases that are tight and don't quite Velcro closed in some areas. So it's coming off in areas with the wind. I guess that will stretch in time? Or with the wind .

(Where I bought the RV new, they had ruined, tore, cut, and poked holes in the canvases during their work. Some occurred after I purchased it and just prior to when I went to pick it up after the walk through and then some occurred later when I used it once and noticed the back bed still wasn't sliding right so I took the RV in to get the runner fixed as it had been crooked which they thought they fixed but didn't do it right. Go Figure) so the fantastic Rv manufacture sent me new canvases since it was still under warrantee and they knew of the RV dealership issues - the dealership since has gone out of business no suprise. So maybe I'll go for a drive. Winds have been like this for 7 hrs.

Thanks again
packncycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I think they're rated much higher than you'd guess. I only have 1 experience and that was a campground just off of a bay in MD. There weren't a whole lot of trees to break the wind up. It was blowing hard enough to lift the beds while we were laying on them. Very disconcerting, but we didn't have one iota of issues.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
Done with this

We stayed right through tornado warnings in our Clipper 1465HST. They had the siren blasting and everyone there went to the shower houses. Scary as hell? Yep. Damage? Nope. It was rocking and rolling though.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #9

Our experience was a lot like Mntbiker's with 40 mph sustained and 50+ gusts at Lake Havasu two years ago for Thanksgiving. Was very concerned at the time as we were also new to the trailer scene with our high wall. The wind will stretch the canvas a little( in our case it was one of the windows). I would disconnect the upper clips on your door so the roof can move a little more freely- I thought for sure that our door would break for the amount of pressure. Another person of this forum said that they had been in 80 mph winds with no issues. I would have needed to throw my shorts away after that night- way too scary at 40 mph!

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #10
Always Learning

I will say- 30mph+ winds in a hard sides fifth wheel is no fun either.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntbiker View Post
I recently spent an entire night in Moab, Ut in my popup during a wind storm. Wind was constant 30-35 mph with 50 mph gusts. Only damage was no sleep that night. Canvas was popping and the camper top would sway and rattle. The side wall on the windward side was bowed in so much that it pushed a shelving unit over onto the floor.
I used to live in Moab and camped in quite a few dispersed camp sites, usually up on Big Flat area (Northwest of Hwy 313) or a few times in Yellowcat area (north-northeast of Arches), and I had a few of those 30-35 mph wind nights, and even one night where the weather report the next day reported wind gusts up to 60 mph. A few times I thought it was going to rip the roof off, but everything remained the same.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #12

I have the same year and pop-up you do.. Just camped this weekend in the Florida Keys.. 10 - 15mph with gusts of 25-30 were experienced overnight. No issues whatsoever. Just remember to either secure or put away your awning.

2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax
2014 Rockwood Freedom 2318g
Proud Father, Eagle Scout, EMT and Combat Veteran
nps_emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I would never tie down the top of a pop-up. The entire unit needs to move with the wind to some degree. If you tie the top down, the sides do not get the flex (energy absorption) they need. I have ridden out a severe t'storm on the St. Lawrence River with gusts exceeding 50 MPH with no issues other than the DW's minor bladder mishap.
limblips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #14

I'd go get in my truck, LOL 40 mph and 5" rain in 3 hrs kept me up and on my toes searching for leaks and hoping the 42'er was ok. No leaks and all ok and with the stabilizer jacks it never even budged it but I was worried so was the dog. Woman sleep right thru it. LOL
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #15

We have the same year/ model also land have been through a few rain and wind storms with no issues.

2010 Ford Escape
loumichelle735 is offline   Reply With Quote