Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #1

Hitch Assembly on Rockwood

Hello everyone,

I have a 2017 Rockwood Premier 2716G that I plan on importing to Scotland. Unfortunately standard EU ball hitched are 50mm instead of 2” so I’d ideally like to change out the hitch assembly to accept a 50mm ball.

I do not remember if the hitch receiver is actually part of the chassis (which would prove a huge challenge) or if it is removable which would be much easier to work with. If any of you know the answer to this I’d be very grateful if you could let me know.

Thanks everyone and Happy 4th!
Devohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #2

50mm and 2” are the same thing, unless you really think that .8mm is really going to make a difference.

Bruce
Old 07-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #3

I wish they were interchangeable. Unfortunately the profile of the EU ball us also slightly different. I’ve read that while the 2” coupling may attach it wouldn’t do so securely and is thus it is illegal to do so.

They sell plenty of 50mm hitch receivers that can be bolted on here so that’s the route I plan to go once a I get it here but it will be far simpler if the 2” hitch comes off.

Bringing it over here has been quite the project and the mods won’t be easy but they don’t really have comparable trailers here so (hopefully) it will be worth it in the end.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #4
Site Team

The hitch coupler is welded to the A-frame. You would have to have it removed and a 50mm one welded in its place.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:41 PM   #5

Hitch

Why don't you just take a 2 inch ball with you and take the 50mm ball off your tv and put the 2inch ball on.
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlochbuie View Post
Why don't you just take a 2 inch ball with you and take the 50mm ball off your tv and put the 2inch ball on.
The OP lives in Scotland, so I assume they aren't available there. And the trailer is probably being shipped across the Atlantic. I guess they could order one on Amazon.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 07-03-2020, 03:26 PM   #7

I researched putting a 2” ball on it as that seemed like an easy solution but unfortunately the tow bar and everything on it needs to be EU approved or won’t be road legal.

The coupler being welded on is a bit more complicated than if it was only bolted but it’s still doable. Looks like I have another thing on my to do list before the camper is set to arrive next month.

Cheers and thanks for the help!
Old 07-03-2020, 03:58 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devohio View Post
I researched putting a 2” ball on it as that seemed like an easy solution but unfortunately the tow bar and everything on it needs to be EU approved or won’t be road legal.

The coupler being welded on is a bit more complicated than if it was only bolted but it’s still doable. Looks like I have another thing on my to do list before the camper is set to arrive next month.

Cheers and thanks for the help!
I am wondering who is going to measure it to see it is 0.8mm off?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:17 PM   #9

2 inches and 50mm are the same !
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:48 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
2 inches and 50mm are the same !
See post #3, the OP says the EU 50mm ball has a different profile.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
See post #3, the OP says the EU 50mm ball has a different profile.
This is what the internet says:

The 50mm has an under-cut lip at the base of the ball [which must weaken it no end] for the hitch securing lug to lock into - a 2 inch ball doesn't, so the hitch handle can't lock down fully and can then jump off.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/p...ex.htm?t=61476

Bruce
Old 07-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #12

I am in the US and looking at possibly doing exactly this move in a couple of years time so have been looking into feasibility SVA, conversions etc.
Keep us updated.

Problems seem not insurmountable but are significant:

1. 2 inch and 50mm towballs are different profile.
My hitch is welded in as part of the trailer frame.
I assume to change that it could be cut off tidied up and a new EU hitch assembly bolted on (they seem to be sold as a bolt on unit)

2. Towbars on the TV in UK are not the Receiver type and need to be EU approved types so changing the ball there will be an issue. Not that you can't make it work but if in long term use there was an insurance claim could lead into issues running non type approved setup (same as a non FMVSS vehicle would be illegal in the US)
One way around getting it from the port at least could be pull it with a US spec vehicle that still has a reviewer type hitch and slot a 2 inch ball on??

I'd love to hear how you get on with SVA approval and things like
1. Lights and electrics - US trailer gets away with two red tail lights doing everything.. brake tail and indicators.
UK needs amber turn signals separate plus rear fog light and reverse light.
Front markers are amber in US and white in UK. Front markers on mine are on the body about 2ft back due to the front carriage tack and reading the UK guidance they need to be as far forward as possible which might mean putting a couple more on the front frame.

2. If you have a rear mounted spare you might need to move the number plate mount and light to somewhere central. US ones tend to be to the left but the UK needs them visible from both sides. Other option maybe to put a plate and light on both sides.

3. BRAKES
No handbrake on US trailers. Mechanical handbrake needed on UK
Electric brakes are allowed in the UK but apparently the brake controller needs to be mounted on the trailer, not in the TV as we do in the US. Not sure how they make that work in UK.

4. Jockey wheel...
US trailers all seem to have a wierd stump at the front for raising and lowering whereas UK ones have a permanently attached Jockey wheel.
I did get a removable wheel that I can replace the stump with but it's lightweight plastic compared to UK jockey wheels.

5. Tongue weight and towing vehicle
My rockwood popup lists a Tongue weight of about 150kg which is higher than even large UK caravans. This makes Tow Vehicle selection while staying inside the combined weight limits interesting (3500kg on post 1997 UK licences 7500 on earlier ones). By comparison I can drive 26000lbs on a US car licence which is over 11000kg
PathfinderESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:53 PM   #13

It’s been quite the chore figuring out everything that needs to be done once my camper gets here to make it road legal here and you seem to have found just about everything I have (which is comforting!). There really doesn’t seem to be any clear information in one place so as I make my modifications here I plan to make a guide to hopefully help some others with the same adventure in the future.

My camper has officially been picked up today and should be on it’s way across the Atlantic in the next week so there’s no turning back now.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:04 PM   #14

UpGood luck on this keeping a watch
I've been looking at this VOSA guide which seems quite comprehensive
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nd-04-trailers

At the start of the document it talks about the SVA inspection accepting some US and Canadian standards as long as the trailer is unmodified....

Reading it a few times I'm assuming it just means they accept the tyres and construction as OK (e.g. even though they aren't E marked tyres) but I assume the lights, hitch and brakes all need altering to pass SVA.

Which then begs the question: if you have altered the hitch, brakes and lights your trailer is no longer unmodified from manufacture so does the above acceptance of FMVSS/CMVSS apply?

If I do end up shipping I am thinking I may do all the lights and hitch electrics conversion to UK type here before it ships so that when it lands in the UK it looks normal.
Would then just be the 50mm hitch, handbrake and jocky wheel to do once imported.

Tags
hitch, rockwood