RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-01-2017, 12:48 PM   #1

Hose to connect to water pump for winterizing?

I will be winterizing my Rockwood 1640 this weekend.

What type of hose do you use to connect to the water pump to have antifreeze flow through?

Did you make your own or can you buy on amazon? I don't have access to the pop up so I can check it out. Would like to show up at the camper with all the parts I need.

Thanks!
Spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #2

If you've got the connection on the outside of your camper, all you need is a length of garden hose.

You also have to turn the valve on the suction side of your water pump to pull from that hose. AND it's highly recommended to remove your downstream water filter and put a .5L water bottle in there to save on antifreeze use.

Also do the bypass on your water heater so you don't fill it with 6 gallons of antifreeze.
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #3

I've been watching some videos and seems like I should disconnect the fresh tank water line from the water pump and have RV anti freeze flow through that.

I was trying to figure out what kind of connection I need to attach to the water pump?

I'll try to attach a photo from a youtube video on winterizing I was watching.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hose.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	155433  
Old 11-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerjoe View Post
If you've got the connection on the outside of your camper, all you need is a length of garden hose.

You also have to turn the valve on the suction side of your water pump to pull from that hose. AND it's highly recommended to remove your downstream water filter and put a .5L water bottle in there to save on antifreeze use.

Also do the bypass on your water heater so you don't fill it with 6 gallons of antifreeze.
Sorry if this seems like a dumb question......So if I have the outside connection to the antifreeze port do most just cut a length of garden hose that screws into the antifreeze port and make sure it's long enough to reach the bottom of the antifreeze jug ? Can you buy that piece or have to sacrifice a garden hose ?
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
Site Team

If you do not have a winterizing valve and hose, you need this:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-P.../dp/B0006JJ588

15 min install and you are set to go for each winterization.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #6

Like flybob said purchase the winterizing kit or build one yourself like mine in the pic below. Basically you need a way to connect a hose from the inlet side of your pump and drop it into the jug of anti freeze. You can see on mine I have a valve on the line coming from the fresh water tank, I turn that off, turn on the valve going to the clear tube and then put the tube in the jug of anti freeze. Turn the pump on and then go around and open all your faucets until the pink stuff comes out.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
Sorry if this seems like a dumb question......So if I have the outside connection to the antifreeze port do most just cut a length of garden hose that screws into the antifreeze port and make sure it's long enough to reach the bottom of the antifreeze jug ? Can you buy that piece or have to sacrifice a garden hose ?
You don't have to sacrifice a garden hose if you don't want to.

Many big box stores sell what is called a 'leader' hose that's about 6' long for a few $$. They typically are used to go from the hydrant/spigot to a hose reel. Around here, Dollar General had them this summer for $2.

You could also buy a garden hose repair connector of the proper gender and add a scrap piece of hose to it.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=15
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
Like flybob said purchase the winterizing kit or build one yourself like mine in the pic below. Basically you need a way to connect a hose from the inlet side of your pump and drop it into the jug of anti freeze. You can see on mine I have a valve on the line coming from the fresh water tank, I turn that off, turn on the valve going to the clear tube and then put the tube in the jug of anti freeze. Turn the pump on and then go around and open all your faucets until the pink stuff comes out.

So to use this antifreeze inlet port I just need the garden hose piece ? Last year I just used the compressed air method and dropped antifreeze in the traps and drains this year I thought I might pump the lines but was clear on that was done with the antifreeze inlet port.
Attached Images

TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #9

Do you know what type (size) of connector I need to attach a hose to the water pump? I don't have access to check it out and would like to go to the hardware store for parts.

Thank you!
Old 11-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #10

I bought a 1/2" threaded barbed fitting. Put 3' of clear 3/8" tubing on the end. Screw adapter into the line from pump and suck out of 3 gal bucket. Only valves to turn were the two on the water heater to open the bypass loop.
(No water filter on my trailer) Just saw your pic, different setup than mine.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceace View Post
Do you know what type (size) of connector I need to attach a hose to the water pump? I don't have access to check it out and would like to go to the hardware store for parts.

Thank you!
This might help...
SharkBite Connector

SharkBite Connector

Old 11-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #12

Lowes for a male garden hose bib. 2 feet of 3/8 in clear plastic tubing. Make sure the bib is the right size for the tubing. Suck it directly out of the gallon jugs. Assuming that you have a winterizing connection on the outside of the trailer. If not you will have to do a little replumbing as shown in the other replies.
RStormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #13

Winterize thru water pump

Sorry if you complete answer now, but
1. you need to use low air pressure to blow out lines.
2. I bought a 10' hose at Camping World on sale for $8.
3. I use a 5 gallon bucket to hold anti freeze and pump from that. Much less messy and you can calibrate your needs.
4. Bypass your water heater - there should be a labeled valve
5. Start opening faucets with the furthest one away.
6. Anti freeze in P traps is a good idea. Remember to open and drain the low water drains before air blow out.

2 more steps if you have clothes washer and/or ice maker.

Best idea really is to forget all of the above and head to Florida for the winter!!!
Quest9914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerjoe View Post

Last season I used a .5 liter water bottle, but the cold collapsed it. So this year I used an empty glass bottle with a tight fitting cap.
I sure wish I could figure out a way to by-pass the filter housing for winterizing purposes.
ornery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:55 AM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ornery View Post
Last season I used a .5 liter water bottle, but the cold collapsed it. So this year I used an empty glass bottle with a tight fitting cap.
I sure wish I could figure out a way to by-pass the filter housing for winterizing purposes.
No need to worry about the bottle collapsing once it's winterized.
The ONLY purpose of the bottle is to occupy space inside the filter housing during the antifreeze ingestion phase so you use less antifreeze. Once that's done, the bottle is irrelevant.

You could easily plumb in a bypass if so desired.
It would be designed just like a water heater bypass.

Better yet, just remove the filter all together and use it outside during the summer and simply empty and store where warmer during the winter.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #16

Thank you (and everyone!) for their help on this thread. Once again, this forum has been so helpful to a new pop up owner!

Tags
pump, water, water pump, winter