Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2020, 09:43 AM   #1

Hot water heater suggestions

Hi there. I have a 2020 forest river rockwood 1640esp. It does not have a water heater on it. Any suggestions on what to get and maybe where to install it? I’m new to the camper world so trying to learn and set up my trailer the best way I can. Would be nice to have some hot water available at times.

Thank you,
Lpaine1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:15 AM   #2

I don't have any personal experience with any particular brand but you could search the web for 'portable water heater' and see where it takes you.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #3

Thanks. I will most def research !
Old 09-19-2020, 04:09 PM   #4

In looking up the Rockwood 1640esp pop-up, I see that the water heater/outside shower was an option. Easiest (which is not going to be easy) would be to get the package from your dealer or direct from Rockwell. And take some measurements on where the factory option is installed (I assume under the pull-out gaucho).

Does your pop-up already have a water tank, inside sink, and water pump? If not, you will need those items as well.

The normal water heater is a propane-only 6 gal tank. The air intake and exhaust is located on the left side wall of the camper and is attached directly to the water heater. Combustion and exhaust air must be completely isolated from the inside of the camper. The water heater needs a propane line and 12V electric, with a small operator's panel on the front of the seat of the gaucho. Plumbing means bringing a supply line from after the water pump and filter, installing a bypass for winterization, and hot water lines to the sink and outside shower. You must also install a hot water low point drain next to the cold water low point drain.

To be honest, the stereo and the water heater are the 2 least used appliances in our A-frames and previous pop-up.

In the summer, I don't want another heat source inside the camper - some heat is going to leak through the insulation of the water heater.

We don't wash dishes inside, and so rarely use the sink, and don't need hot water when we do.

In cooler weather, I will sometimes turn on the water heater, and use the outside shower as my source of hot water for dish washing and cooking and other cleaning.

Other times - if we have electric hookups - a small coffee pot sitting on the outside prep table plugged into the outside outlet suffices for all the hot water I need. Without electric hookups, a teakettle on the camp stove at the picnic table does the trick.

hope this helps, enjoy your camper
Fred W
now 2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
prev 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
prev 2000 Coleman Westlake Pop-up
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:32 PM   #5

Search on Amazon for portable LP water heater. Several options for $130 with 6 liters/minute (about 1.3 GPM) flow and totally portable. Hang it somewhere and feed it water and propane and can store pretty easily.
Mikeytheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #6

Water heater

Have you looked at (electric on demand water heater) good for just washing dishes. Have to have its own breaker.
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:42 PM   #7

The advantage of the built in water heater is an extra 6 gal of water.

For showers on our sailboat we used the 5 gal solar showers. A few hours in the sun and the water is warm to hot. The shower can be filled separately - lake water works. Give the women extra if 2 of them can shower on a single 5 gal fill. It's doable.

Fred W
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:36 PM   #8

Thank you

Thanks everyone for all the info. I appreciate it. I’m investigating all options now. I like the portable hot heater that runs off propane Seems like a good efficient way to get some hot water every now and then to wash the stink off! 🤣🤣
Old 09-22-2020, 07:34 AM   #9

well, just put a pot of water on the stove and heat it up. a whole lot less expensive.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater