Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #1

How to charge PUP battery using generator

Okay, I know I'll probably get "yelled" at for asking a question that's been asked before, but I've searched the forum and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for so I thought I'd be brave... My question is super simple (and keep in mind please I'm a newbie to the PUP world!) - we have a Rockwood 2516G popup and are going camping this weekend where the temps are going to be near freezing (we've already drained and winterized our water supply so no worries on that). Anyway, we're purchasing a Honda 2000 generator (not just for the PUP but for home use too) and my question is - how do we charge the battery from the generator? Do we need to buy special cables to do this? Or do you plug the pigtail directly into the generator? Thanks in advance for your help!!!
DianaWayneScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
Site Team

The "pigtail" is called a shore cord.
Simply plug the shore cord into the outlet on the Honda.
You'll need a 30 to 15 amp adapter. Walmart has them.

Every RV comes with a converter that recharges the battery while plugged into power.

Be sure to start the Honda before plugging the shore cord in.
DON'T use the the 12v recharging cables, they are the last choice for recharging. They will take a much longer time to recharge, than just plugging in the shore cord.

We own a Honda 2000i and have been recharging our batteries with it for 10 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #3

Awesome - thanks so much Bikendan. Just to clarify, we need to purchase a separate 30 amp Female to 15 amp Male adapter? We don't just plug in using our shore line and the adapter we use to plug into our home's electric outlet?
Old 10-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #4

Ha! Told you I/we are newbies! I didn't realize the 15/30 converter IS what you use to plug into your house (I just saw on amazon that it is one and the same).

And thanks again, Dan - you've been a big help!
Old 10-19-2016, 01:07 PM   #5
Site Team

The 30/15 puck is an adapter, not a converter.
The converter is what your popup uses to convert 110v AC power to 12v DC battery power.
It's usually located behind the fuse/breaker panel.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #6

Got it! I meant adapter, not converter - but that's good to know where the converter is - one of these days I know I was going to be asking that very question. Thanks again!!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #7

By the way, no one is going to "Yell" at you for asking a question. One of the answers may be the answer is already located elsewhere, in which case the person writing it will usually give you the link.

I hope you're having fun with your PuP. In some ways, I really miss mine...Don't tell my DW, she hated it!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #8

Thanks Ben -- I was mostly being sarcastic. Though I have to say when I did research the forum here to see if that question had been asked, I saw quite a few snarky responses to people like myself saying basically "do your research first". So I was happy I didn't get any snarky replies to my silly question! I find this forum very valuable!!!!!

And yes, we love love LOVE our pup. We were tent campers for many many years, and loved tenting. So I did not expect that we would love the pup life SO much - it's wonderful! But, mums the word; I won't tell your DW you miss yours!
Old 10-20-2016, 02:54 PM   #9
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaWayneScott View Post
And yes, we love love LOVE our pup. We were tent campers for many many years, and loved tenting. So I did not expect that we would love the pup life SO much - it's wonderful!
Oh yes. I remember our euphoria going from a tent to a pop up. Thought we'd died and gone to heaven (as my Grandma used to say). Furnace, stove, sink with running water. Lights at the touch of a switch, beds with sheets and quilts, off the ground. Sofas to sit on and a fridge so the sandwich fixin's stayed dry. What a life!
Now a new couple and their baby are having the same experience and our Starcraft is still bringing joy and comfort.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #10

Since the Honda is running anyway , take a small electric heater , no more than 1,000 watts .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, generator