Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #41

oldtool,

If that thing runs for one season, you got your moneys worth out of it. That is the most inexpensive genset I have ever seen. Almost worth buying even if you have absolutely no need for it.

Those poor Chinese factory kids must be getting <10 cents an hour. Then they have to box it, ship it to the US, store, advertise, sell, pay the clerk and make a profit. I cannot fathom how they do that for $119.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
oldtool,

If that thing runs for one season, you got your moneys worth out of it. That is the most inexpensive genset I have ever seen. Almost worth buying even if you have absolutely no need for it.

Those poor Chinese factory kids must be getting <10 cents an hour. Then they have to box it, ship it to the US, store, advertise, sell, pay the clerk and make a profit. I cannot fathom how they do that for $119.
I agree. I was actually thinking about one just to use for charging my batteries instead of going solar, instead of this:

Amazon.com: RENOGY® Solar Panel Starter Kit 400W Mono: Four 100W Mono Solar Panel UL 1703 Listed+One 30Amp PWM Charge Controller+Three Pair of MC4 Branch Connector+One Pair of 20Ft Adaptor Kit with Male and Female MC4 Connector+ Four Sets of Z Bracke

$560.00 cheaper, quite a bit of difference. Figure it would buy me a little bit of time to decide what I really need to do. Not sure how much boondocking I am going to be doing. I have my 3000is for the summer when I need to run my AC but don't want to carry it, because of the weight, in the spring or fall when don't really need it.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:03 PM   #43

Battery/solar questions

Thank you everyone for your replies! I'm still getting through them all (as we were camping all weekend.) Had a great trip, broke in the grill, stove and oven. Even got rained on. Our sierras trip (the 2 1/2 week trip I mentioned) is only two weeks away so I appreciate everyone's quick input. Do any of you have the 19 or 21 foot forest River rockwood or flagstaff aframe? Just curious as have some questions particular to our camper.
Fletchkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
The specs for that Chinese Generator says 82db (Honda 2000i is 58db; Champion 2000 is 62db), which is only 3db below where OSHA requires a workplace to start offering Hearing Protection.

Spend the Money that you save on a couple pairs of Ear Plugs... And then be sure that you aren't at the same CG as the rest of us!!
Old 08-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by seigell View Post
The specs for that Chinese Generator says 82db (Honda 2000i is 58db; Champion 2000 is 62db), which is only 3db below where OSHA requires a workplace to start offering Hearing Protection.

Spend the Money that you save on a couple pairs of Ear Plugs... And then be sure that you aren't at the same CG as the rest of us!!
Unfortunately a lot of generators are that loud. I could always toss a cheap Styrofoam ice chest over it couldn't I? IF I were to decide to go that route it would only be run for an hour or two during the afternoon, every couple of days.

Trust me I know what you are saying. Last year had a MH next to me that ran his big Owen 24/7. Second day I asked him why and he said it was cleaner power than the CG had. I did not have my surge protector just know I did not have any problems.

Jim
Old 08-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #46

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/

A lot of reading but worth it if you plan on boondocking.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:20 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Unfortunately a lot of generators are that loud. I could always toss a cheap Styrofoam ice chest over it couldn't I? IF I were to decide to go that route it would only be run for an hour or two during the afternoon, every couple of days.
At 85db, your Cheap Little Generator would be as loud as most Lawnmowers or even all but the large trailer-mounted Contractor Generators. Simply TOO LOUD for a CG with other Campers!!

All that a Styrofoam Chest would do is: 1) Choke the Generator in its own Exhaust Fumes; 2) Blow-out on the panel nearest the Exhaust; 3) Melt the remainder of the Styrofoam onto the Generator; and 4) Likely start a Fire as the melted Styrofoam drips across the Muffler.

Since you responded, I had to take yet another look at the "StormCat Generator" Specs. This is a 2-Stroke Engine - producing a good Stink and Blue Exhaust Haze as well as a Cachophony of Sound (no idea how it can claim both EPA and CARB certs). This has NO SPARK ARRESTER, and therefore would be ILLEGAL for use on most County / State / Federal Lands.

You can definitely do Better - you really should expect to Pay More in order to Get More...
Old 08-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Trust me I know what you are saying. Last year had a MH next to me that ran his big Owen 24/7. Second day I asked him why and he said it was cleaner power than the CG had. I did not have my surge protector just know I did not have any problems.
There you go, that Onan Generator has a similar 82db rating (at 10ft directly in front of the Exhaust Pipe) - and you were probably hearing only about 70-75db at your neighboring Campsite. This little Predator will ring-out at that loudest volume in all directions all of the time - it has no Economy Mode and isn't mounted in a Sound Suppressing case either.

Many of the large Class A and Class C that carry on-board Gennies have enough Sound Deadening Material built into and around the Generator Compartment that they simply hear a Hum and feel a Smooth Vibration. They don't realize (or necessarily care?) how loud it is outdoors or in the next few Campsites. And running it 24/7 should have drawn the Ranger/Camp Host in most any CG.
Now, channel that Noise and Frustration that you recall, and think of you being the Source of even More Noise...

Again, this little Utility Generator is simply not appropriate for ANY communal Campground scenario...
Old 08-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #49
Site Team

I just don't get why people spend thousands of dollars on a RV, then want to cheap out on a generator.
You don't have to go the H&Y route to get a dependable quiet inverter generator.
Quiet cost more bt it doesn't have to break the bank.
Champion, Boliy, Smarter Tools and others make ones that have received excellent reviews.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by seigell View Post
There you go, that Onan Generator has a similar 82db rating (at 10ft directly in front of the Exhaust Pipe) - and you were probably hearing only about 70-75db at your neighboring Campsite. This little Predator will ring-out at that loudest volume in all directions all of the time - it has no Economy Mode and isn't mounted in a Sound Suppressing case either.

Many of the large Class A and Class C that carry on-board Gennies have enough Sound Deadening Material built into and around the Generator Compartment that they simply hear a Hum and feel a Smooth Vibration. They don't realize (or necessarily care?) how loud it is outdoors or in the next few Campsites. And running it 24/7 should have drawn the Ranger/Camp Host in most any CG.
Now, channel that Noise and Frustration that you recall, and think of you being the Source of even More Noise...

Again, this little Utility Generator is simply not appropriate for ANY communal Campground scenario...

seigell, thank you for researching this generator for me.

Ok, I succeeded in doing what I wanted to do. Got more info about that cheap little generator which is what I want to know. This is why I am still considering the solar panels I supplied a link to. Now everyone knows what kind of junk that thing is.

Well, not completely. I was also hoping to get more info on the panels. Would they basically do the same thing if they were left out on a semi-sunny day as the el-cheapo? I am trying to find a way not to have to carry my 240 pound Honda EU3000is generator all the time. Ya, my cheap Honda that cost me about $2,200.00. I bought it to run my AC in the heat of the summer to keep my dog from cooking. Sense I am single, wife passed 8 years ago, my dog goes with me any time the trailer moves.

As for the MH, had I complained to the CG owners I am sure he would have had to shut it down at night. That's not my style though. I even mentioned to him about closing the cabinet but no luck. Glad he only stayed for two days. I was there for the week.

Jim
Old 08-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I just don't get why people spend thousands of dollars on a RV, then want to cheap out on a generator.
You don't have to go the H&Y route to get a dependable quiet inverter generator.
Quiet cost more bt it doesn't have to break the bank.
Champion, Boliy, Smarter Tools and others make ones that have received excellent reviews.
Yes, some of them have but they are not as good as the Honda or Yamaha-ha's. Unfortunately not everyone has an extra $1600 to $2400 laying around. Many here "broke the bank" trying to get the trailer they wanted and now realize that a genset would be nice.

I just happened to see that cheap gen so thought I would mention it. I didn't research it but would have before buying one. Turns out I didn't have to, it was done for me.

Jim
Old 08-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #52

Solar or generator or a combination of the two,
I have a 560watt solar/inverter system with 435ah AGM battery bank. I run everything 24/7 except in hot summer you still need shore power or generator for A/C units.
Solar is convenient and silent. A lot of parks won't let you run a generator so with enough solar and battery bank it's not an issue. Weight of solar panels and batteries and components can also be an issue for some.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power