Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #1

How to keep the awning bag from flapping while in transport?

While we're driving the awning bag flops up and down and sometimes over the top of the camper. I am thinking that maybe I could fashion some sort of tie down between the bag and the handrail.

I am sure this is not an uncommon issue. So, what are some mods you have done to keep this awning bag from flapping in the wind?
Zambolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #2

I've got the same camper except its a 2011. We put on some good miles, mostly at highway speed, I don't think I've ever even seen mine move let alone flop around.

Do you maybe have the bag pulled to far forward? That might let enough of it out of the channel to catch air and move, might be as simple as slide it a little farther back and see if it still flops.

Hope it helps
ittle dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #3

I have seen mine do the same thing going down the interstate, it looks like it could be bad for the awning bag.

Rockwood HW296
2011 Ram 1500 5.7
FloridaParks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
MI Camperz

That just doesn't sound right to me. I don't think it should be moving or flopping around in any way.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle dew View Post
I've got the same camper except its a 2011. We put on some good miles, mostly at highway speed, I don't think I've ever even seen mine move let alone flop around.

Do you maybe have the bag pulled to far forward? That might let enough of it out of the channel to catch air and move, might be as simple as slide it a little farther back and see if it still flops.

Hope it helps

I will give that a try. I have noticed that it had slid a bit forward and have since pushed it back. Our next trip is this coming weekend and it is out of state with a large group of friends. Is it Thursday yet?! I may fashion something as a tie down just in case the sliding it forward does not do the trick.

We live in Iowa and get some pretty nasty cross winds at times.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #6

After you said yours had slide forward I went and checked mine it is also all the way forward. Here is some pics, I think if I move it back the camper awning poles will not line up.
Attached Images

Rockwood HW296
2011 Ram 1500 5.7
FloridaParks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #7

The position on mine looks about the same, Florida. I think you may be right about the pole position for the awning. I will get a better idea of the situation this week as we go to Turkey Run this weekend.