RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-22-2021, 12:39 PM   #1

How to Use the Shower. How to fill and drain the fresh water system

I'm new to this Forum but was on the Dutchman one with my old trailer. I bought a new Rockwood ESP232 popup trailer and need a little help. Where is a video I could watch that shows how to clean and use the fresh water system. How to clean it for its first use. I guess there's chemicals in it and it needs to be cleaned first. How to use the shower? I wish it came with better instructions. Thank you
SquatchySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:57 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Did you buy it new?
The things you are asking are all things your dealer should have went over with you during your PDI/Customer Orientation. You'll also need to know if it was winterized and whether the water heater is bypassed.

Unfortunately we have heard of dealers not doing a good job of this. Shame on them.

There are some good videos on YouTube if you search there. They may not be your model specific but the process is the same.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=60
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquatchySteve View Post
I'm new to this Forum but was on the Dutchman one with my old trailer. I bought a new Rockwood ESP232 popup trailer and need a little help. Where is a video I could watch that shows how to clean and use the fresh water system. How to clean it for its first use. I guess there's chemicals in it and it needs to be cleaned first. How to use the shower? I wish it came with better instructions. Thank you
Not sure where you got the idea that there are chemicals in the FW tank but I simply filled the tank and flushed it, before using it.
Didn't the dealer have water in it to prove the plumbing and water pump worked, during the PDI/walkthrough?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:20 PM   #4

I would definitely sanitize the freshwater tank whether it was new or not. God knows what contaminants could be in there. Also I highly doubt this time of year thereís any water because it would probably freeze.
Sammici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:28 PM   #5

BTW, hereís a link from Forest River videos on almost anything.Including some basic maintenance

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/videos
Sammici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:45 PM   #6

2 tbsp of bleach in 20 + galons of water in fine .let sit, pump through faucets ,let sit a day . then drain tank ,refill and flush. do this when you smell a egg like odor when you turn on a faucet.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
2 tbsp of bleach in 20 + galons of water in fine .let sit, pump through faucets ,let sit a day . then drain tank ,refill and flush. do this when you smell a egg like odor when you turn on a faucet.

you need a bit more than a couple of tablespoons of bleach for 20 gals. you should use 1/4 cup of regular bleach for every 16 gal.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:34 PM   #8

Don't get me wrong sanitizing is probably important but not deadly We had been camping for years and never sanitized but learned to on these forums that we should do so.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:45 PM   #9

Before and mid season we run bleach through our supply hose by pouring about halve a gallon into the hose, connecting the ends and rolling it around the yard for about 5 min or so. We then attach the hose to the TT and run that through the water lines and let it sit for a day. You cannot believe the crap that comes out of the lines when we finally run it till clear. Some times a lot of crap comes out of the faucets. Run fresh water till it runs clear and good to go. This is also a good time to clean the faucet screens so you have full flow at all sinks and shower.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:46 PM   #10

sanitize the tank with bleach. I use about 3/4 of a cup of clothing safe product in our toy hauler because the tank is larger.

we all may describe the process differently but here is a good article
https://blog.campingworld.com/rv-bas...-simple-steps/
Old 01-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #11
Canadian Member

Quote:
Welcome to the forum, SquatchySteve.

Your popup may have pink RV antifreeze in the water lines which will need to be flushed out and then you can sanitize the water system. I would ask the dealer how they put the antifreeze in the water system. I presume you are aware of the water pump switch thatís probably located below the sink. The pump runs off of the 12V battery you need to mount and connect in the battery box on the front of the trailer.

Search YouTube for videos of your model or similar models in the ESP series.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:47 AM   #12

Thank you so much! I am more of a visual person. Thats helps
Old 01-25-2021, 11:57 AM   #13

Thank you for the reply. The wife and I drove 7 hours to a dealership that had that specific make and model. Only one in our state actually. The dealership went through everything so fast and its a lot to take in. They kept saying just look online at the owners manual. I looked and there doesn't seem to be a specific video for that exact make and model. Even on forest rivers website. Just kind of a general popup instructions. Youtube is great for this kind of thing. and thank you guys for the suggestions.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. The wife and I drove 7 hours to a dealership that had that specific make and model. Only one in our state actually. The dealership went through everything so fast and its a lot to take in. They kept saying just look online at the owners manual. I looked and there doesn't seem to be a specific video for that exact make and model. Even on forest rivers website. Just kind of a general popup instructions. Youtube is great for this kind of thing. and thank you guys for the suggestions.
Has anyone answered your question about "How to Use the Shower"?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 108; booked = 32
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Did you buy it new?
The things you are asking are all things your dealer should have went over with you during your PDI/Customer Orientation. You'll also need to know if it was winterized and whether the water heater is bypassed.

Unfortunately we have heard of dealers not doing a good job of this. Shame on them.

There are some good videos on YouTube if you search there. They may not be your model specific but the process is the same.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Has anyone answered your question about "How to Use the Shower"?
No not really. I was going to youtube how to do the shower.

I figured out how to sanitize the lines and will fill up the tanks and drain everything out with a little bleached water. As advised by some of you guys and the online owners manual.

I was going to try it out tomorrow.

It rained all weekend and there's high winds today. So I haven't been able to open it up again just yet. Been waiting for good weather to try it out in our front yard (still trying to figure out how to post stuff on this site)
Old 01-25-2021, 03:06 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
(still trying to figure out how to post stuff on this site)

You posted this... and now you have 5 posts.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 108; booked = 32
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
You posted this... and now you have 5 posts.
lol yeah Im getting the hang of it
Old 02-03-2021, 03:20 PM   #19

thanks for all the help everyone.

Tags
drain, fresh water, show, shower, water