Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #1

HW 286 Awning Stake Strap

I ripped the black awning support strap that is riveted to the bottom of the vertical awning support pole. The strap is riveted and all other aluminum support components seem to be riveted. Does anyone know how to replace the strap. Currently I can only stake one support pole to the ground.
sgreats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreats View Post
I ripped the black awning support strap that is riveted to the bottom of the vertical awning support pole. The strap is riveted and all other aluminum support components seem to be riveted. Does anyone know how to replace the strap. Currently I can only stake one support pole to the ground.
Time to become the proud owner of a pop-rivet tool: https://smile.amazon.com/TEKTON-6555...pop+rivet+tool

If the rivet tore out the fabric on the strap, make a new hole in the fabric (with a drill?), and if need be, drill a new hole in the tent pole to hold the rivet. Use a slightly longer rivet with a matching washer to reinforce the fabric. The poles are aluminum, so be sure to use an aluminum rivet to avoid "galvanic" deterioration of the pole at the rivet joint.

I also use parachute cord from the main awning frame down to a second tent stake. I put a loop on one end of the rope and one in the middle of the rope. I use the loop end at the top, pull the rope thru, then go around the stake and back up to the loop in the middle of the rope. This allows you to put a good strain on the rope, and the rope keeps the awning from rising and falling against the awning support strap, and it adds tension to the awning to lessen wind flapping. I place these stakes at about a 45 degree angle to the awning and about 18" from the base of the upright pole. Drive this stake at about a 45 degree angle in solid soil and it will hold a ton of strain. It's close enough to not be a tripping hazard. What you need: https://smile.amazon.com/Galvanized-...el+tent+stakes
If you want and added measure of safety, use some landscape flagging tape to improve visibility. This would be a lifetime supply: https://smile.amazon.com/Task-Tools-...+flagging+tape
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning