Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2020, 03:05 PM   #1

Upgraded the Pop Up

Hello from Bowling Green, KY.
Traded in our 14 YO Yuma (Fleetwood) for a Rockwood HW296 (Premier)

Unfortunately the mfgr does not print an operator's manual leaving us to guess at the correct steps for deployment and shut down of the trailer. They do offer a Youtube vid but it is generic and not much help.
Looking for a sequence of set up and tear down and any tios on the use of the Black water/ grey water tanks and emptying them.
Thank you in advance.
Eric
Eric Hoffmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hoffmeyer View Post
Hello from Bowling Green, KY.
Traded in our 14 YO Yuma (Fleetwood) for a Rockwood HW296 (Premier)

Unfortunately the mfgr does not print an operator's manual leaving us to guess at the correct steps for deployment and shut down of the trailer. They do offer a Youtube vid but it is generic and not much help.
Looking for a sequence of set up and tear down and any tios on the use of the Black water/ grey water tanks and emptying them.
Thank you in advance.
Eric
Hi and welcome to FRF! Unfortunately there virtually hasn't been model-specific owners manuals, in the RV Industry, for many years.
Suggest you post your questions in the Tent Camper and Popup section. You'll get more assistance there, than the General Community Discussion section.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:39 PM   #3

Dan,
Thank you.
I'll scoot over to the pop up section.
Regards,
Eric
Old 02-08-2020, 04:44 PM   #4

Welcome from SW Ohio ,enjoy your RW HW296 popup !
Old 02-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #5

HW 296 Set Up Sequence

Unfortunately the Rockwood folks don't provide an owner's manual listing the sequence of set up and tear down. (our 14 YO Yuma did!).

I began a sequence list but would like to know if anyone has already done this. There are similarities to our old rig but this is significantly different.

Looking for some assistance.
Thank you.
Eric
Old 02-08-2020, 05:04 PM   #6

Check out YouTube. There is a Rockwood video on highwall set up.
bwag1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hoffmeyer View Post
Dan,
Thank you.
I'll scoot over to the pop up section.
Regards,
Eric
Two threads merged by site team.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:12 PM   #8

As a HW 277 owner previously, biggest thing is take your time. When pushing in bunks and folding in canvas, take it slow and don’t let anything get pinched. You will get your own rhythm as figure out what works for you but don’t rush it otherwise it gets expensive. !!!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:02 PM   #9

Welcome to FROG! We have a HW296, but it's a few years old. I will check in the morning to see if I still have a list I created when we bought our camper.

tigger68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #10

A couple of setup items specific to the highwall are 1. Plug in the AC if you intend to use before the roof is raised. 2. The awning has to be pulled out when you are half way up with the roof. There may be others ways of doing it, but I learned from experience on the first trip. I couldn't reach the AC plug or the awning once it was set up!

Also, as you may have already realized, the tandem axles that make towing on the highway so smooth also fight you when you try to move the thing if it's stationary. I have to make sure I've backed into whatever position I want because I can't budge it after it's off the hitch.
michigan_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan_camper View Post
A couple of setup items specific to the highwall are 1. Plug in the AC if you intend to use before the roof is raised. 2. The awning has to be pulled out when you are half way up with the roof. There may be others ways of doing it, but I learned from experience on the first trip. I couldn't reach the AC plug or the awning once it was set up!

Also, as you may have already realized, the tandem axles that make towing on the highway so smooth also fight you when you try to move the thing if it's stationary. I have to make sure I've backed into whatever position I want because I can't budge it after it's off the hitch.
Some very good advice. As a pop-up and A-frame owner I learned about the awning the hard way. We didn't have air conditioning, so that wasn't a factor. And when I was lowering the roof, I would stop about 2/3 down to pack the awning in the bag.

Something else I learned on both A-frames and pop-ups - level the camper before raising the roof, deploying the beds, and mounting the door. BUT DO NOT put down the stabilizers until the roof is up, ends pulled out, and door in place. The frames on A-frames and pop-ups have just enough "give" that putting down the stabilizers too soon will often cause the frame to twist and/or bend just enough that things don't fit right. Even if the stabilizers just "kiss" the ground.

The same with taking down for the trip home or to another campground - the stabilizers come up FIRST, before I start folding the camper down. It also helps my aging memory to keep the stabilizers first - I have dragged the camper a few feet leaving the site with stabilizers still down. It's not pretty.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
prev 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
prev 2000 Coleman Lakewood Pop-up
prev 1986 Coachmen Pop-up
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pop up, upgrade