Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2020, 11:42 AM   #1

HW 296 - Water leak or drips from tent

Hello all,

We packed up our 296 last week after camping. It was dry, with no rain, but probably had a bit of condensate on the tent.

When we opened up in our driveway a few days later there was a puddle on the counter above the fridge. I'm trying to figure out where this water came from...

The vent is above this area, but closed the bed should have been between the vent and the counter.

There is a possibility it was condensate on the tent that dripped into that area after closing?

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan
bryankloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:54 AM   #2

Yes.. it's likely the condensate or extra humidity that was trapped.

For years, I'd bring the pop-up home and set it up again in the sun to ensure it was completely dry prior to putting it away.

If you don't.. get ready to replace the tent material. It's spendy, so be prepared for that.

If the dealer didn't tell you this.. shame on him.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #3

I used to find a small wet area underneath my vent, when i was popped down which was always closed and sealed, and the gasket sealed and in good condition. I checked the caulking and it always looked fine. Took a really close look at the caulking and had the slightest of pull-away from the roof that it looked like a hairline crack, and that's where the water was getting in. Resealed the caulk and no leaks (at least not until it did it again!). It got recaulked and now also has eternabond over it, no more water. So my point being don't discount the vent! Check the caulk....
It could be running along the roof sideways, and then dripping towards the edge where the bed isn't above the counter... just a thought.
rourky80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #4

I second looking at your vent. I used to get a wet spot on the mattress. Used Eternabond tape around the mounting flange on the roof, and no more wet mattress. Also, when I first got our HW 29SC, I would get water on the counter from the sink faucet. I got ours used and maybe I missed something that a dealer would show me, but when we would pull the faucet out to pack for lowering the roof, there was water all the way to the top of the white plastic stem left when you pull the faucet. I think the water was coming out of the stem and running on the counter. I got a brass cap that I screw on the stem when I pull the faucet, and no more water on the counter.
smither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:56 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'll take a good look at the vent seal as a possible cause. Assuming this may be the case, or if something else should need re-caulking, whats the recommended product to use on the roof? Is there an industry standard that works well and is obtainable?

Also, interesting thoughts on the faucet. I too have water up to the stem when we break down. This most certainly could be a culprit as driving home I could see some water bouncing around and finding its way back to the counter under the mattress. I'll look for a cap as you mention.

Its great to find help from those with more expoerience. Thanks again!

Bryan
bryankloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:31 AM   #6

For caulk, proflex rv (by geocel) seems to be most recommended. Also what I used to recaulk the mounting flange to the roof. After that I used eternabond (4" wide as thats what I had for other projects) around the entire flange.
rourky80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:19 PM   #7

We have the same water problem with the fold-down faucet on our A-frame sink. We normally store stuff in the sink while traveling, so having the faucet leak when folded down was annoying. It was very easy for the faucet single lever to vibrate or get pushed open just a little.

Resolved the problem by dumping water pressure when getting ready to tow. Turn off the pump, and open the outside shower faucets (both hot and cold) until water pressure has been relieved. Close the faucets, and we're good to go.

This also has solved the pump not turning on properly when we got to the campsite. If there is pressure in the lines, and I am towing on a hot, sunny day, the lines will get above the pump cut-off, and the pump will not turn on when we set up at the campsite.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:45 PM   #8

Quote:
whats the recommended product to use on the roof? Is there an industry standard that works well and is obtainable?
perhaps you did not notice that two people recommended Eternabond Tape to seal the gap in the mounting flange of the cap. I will make a third.

Eternabond lasts like 10+ years instead of a few years for caulk...

EternaBond

for info on the product and how it is used, and amazon to buy it.

also my Preventive roof maintenance...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nce-90060.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak