Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #1

HW277 By-Pass Valve?

I recently purchased my first pop-up, a brand new Rockwood HW277, in January. I've since dewinterized it myself by flushing out the antifreeze, but I can't seem to get any hot water, just luke warm at best. I haven't been able to locate any by-pass valves for the hot water heater either, and my guess is the by-pass valve (if it exists) is open allowing hot and cold water to mix. When I asked the dealer, they just said some trailers have them and some don't. Does anyone know where they are located? I've searched everywhere I can think to look, and the kiddos are getting tired of cold showers. Thanks for the help!
jdcox98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It will be behind the water heater, back side., and probably behind some removable panel in the camper, or under the bed. Now are you sure the water heater is full? On most trailers, you have several valves to turn in order to get out of by-pass mode. If you search for water heater on here, you will find instructions, and pictures, or different set-ups, and valve arrangements.

By the way, welcome to the forums.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #3

on the A122 we have to remove the luan panel that makes one of the bench dinette seats to access the HW heater and it's bypass valves. the valves are OEM and were preinstalled on the HW heater. the HW heater has a foam shroud so it may not look exactly like what you are expecting when accessing it from inside the camper.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #4

So basically what your looking at here is the fact that you have both your bypass valves open going to and coming out of your water heater , but you also have the the valve which loops water before the water heater open also, causing the hot water to mix with the cold water pushing through the loop. Simply turn the true bypass loop off, and you wont have anymore issues.

d-mo
Old 06-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I didn't consider looking under the dinette seat, but my wife did confirm that she saw what looks to be a removable panel there when she was cleaning the seats. Of course she didn't think to mention this to me when I was searching high and low...

I always check to make sure the water heater is full before turning it on by lifting the pressure relief valve until water starts flowing out, so I know the valve going to the heater is at least turned on. I will check the outgoing and by-pass valves once I have a chance to access the backside of the water heater, and will post the results.

Thanks again!
jdcox98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If you know where the pressure relief valve is outside, then you know where the water heater is inside. Just eyeball how close to a door or window, and visualize that spot inside the trailer. No go and find it.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #7

I have a HW276 and the access panel is under the couch by the wall where the hw tank is located. All of the valves are located in that compartment along with the water filter and a slew of other things.
arclight is offline   Reply With Quote