Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2022, 06:00 PM   #1

HW277 collapse table every time?

For any of you with the high wall units, is it possible (and OK) to leave the table on the slide out standing up while the camper is collapsed? It appears there is enough room, but I don’t want to be causing and issue with the table legs jiggling around and wearing out (if that’s even possible). I couldn’t find much in the owner manual about that.
Tgolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:01 PM   #2

I have the 2020 HW27KS. Just curious about why you would even want to leave the table standing? I do put my table down, and use the space under for light storage. I use the flat surface area on top for bed pillows, throw pillows, and king blanket. I imagine that leaving the table standing that I'd lose out on more efficient storage options.

I think you would run into issues with all the cushions...don't think you would have the needed clearance if they're left standing in place. Beds sliding in are likely to get hung up on them?

Don't know if it's recommended or even possible, but you can try and let us know!
Forrest Gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 06:50 AM   #3

you probably could, but what are you going to do with the back cushions? We always collapsed the table, put the cushions on the table (bed mode) and stored quite a bit of stuff on and under that table. Taking the table down was a pain, but it was the most efficient configuration for storing our stuff.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 05:59 PM   #4

I would be concerned about it bouncing around and getting scuffed or scratched up or having it scuff or scratch up other things.

Of all the things I have to do to get it opened up at campgrounds the table is one of the easiest.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 01:35 PM   #5

I had a HW-277 for many years.

I always put the table down for travel. Reasons:
  • Vibration on the road...and worse in offroad conditions...would play hell with the table post mounts. As it was, I had to upsize the screws on the floor post mounts because a number of them came loose and stripped out. It's a hard life.
  • The flat bed...from the dinette...makes great storage for the bathroom door, a folding dog crate, the tent end poles, and other detritus. I put a LOT of stuff on that table/bed. Under the table can be devoted to smaller items including the table support posts and other stuff that can be jammed in there.
  • The back cushions MUST be laid flat to make room for the bed slides.
  • It's easier to tuck the canvas for the slide if the center is a bit lower than with the table up. The slide canvas is kind of a big lump in the middle of the rig, because of its three-side shape and being attached to the slide tub.
  • And for the sake of being a bit OCD, this is how the rig is designed to travel.
These rigs are NOT built like tanks. Something as large and heavy as that table top teetering on the top of those two posts as you careen down the road is asking for trouble. If you rip loose the post bases, upsized replacement screws are just so big before you have trouble finding something that will work. When I upsized my base screws to #14 stainless, I had to drill out the aluminum base to accommodate those larger screws, and #14 is as big as you'll find at your local hardware store. You might go with bolts, washers and nylock nuts, but it's not very easy to get in that space under the floor to work.

Given the nature of your question, it may also occur to you to leave the faucet goosneck in place. The short answer is that, yes, it can be done successfully, but that's a pretty fragile faucet. The bed won't hit it, but tucking canvas might. It's designed to be removed for a reason. I forgot to remove mine a couple of times and got away with it, but I didn't do so intentionally.

Speaking of faucets, I hated the factory faucet that had the knobs. Invariably I wasted water (boondocking) because the cold water faucet has to be turned counter clockwise to close it...and that is counter intuitive (righty-tighty). I bought this faucet as a replacement, because it has lever handles...far more intuitive operation, and it has a removable goosneck.

One other suggestion for tucking canvas. This is a high camper, and tucking canvas can be a bear. I lifted mine for off-road boondocking, and that made tucking canvas MUCH harder. Climbing on the A-frame and the rear bumper gets old...especially if they are wet and slick, and shoving my arm into the void under the roof all the way up to my shoulder never felt smart. And I'm 6'6"...and still had to go through these gymnastics. I got this rubber pet hair "rake", and it worked like a charm. Note that it has an extending, twist-lock handle. I could tuck the canvas from the ground, and the rubber head was very gentle on the canvas and "windows." Above all, it did a better job, because it has a longer reach than my 37" sleeve.

Finally, if you boondock and travel with a full freshwater tank, you absolutely MUST add support under the tank. 20 gallons of water weigh 166 pounds. My fresh tank couldn't take that abuse when going overland to get into boondocking sites. After I replaced the cracked tank, I added the support in the photo so I could safely get to sites like the one in the other pic. The support takes advantage of the pipe "looms" on the frame and is made from 1/2" galvanized water pipe, a couple of clevis pins, a piece of plywood, a couple of pipe clamps, and a heavy rubber floor mat. Worked absolutely wonderfully. (You can also see the lift kit on the far side of the axle. I needed the lift kit because I was constantly draging the steps and bending them out of shape...so much so that I carried a 6 pound sledge hammer to straighten them out so I could use them...pix.)

There are MANY other things to know about your rig: sag of the front wall; bathroom wall mount weaknesses, self-disassembly (screws falling out everywhere), issues with the outdoor kitchen "drain," issues with the tee in the main grey water drain, goofy limit switch on the roof lift winch, TP holder, flaw in awning design, adding solar [pic], and so on but I'll stop here unless you're interested. I absolutely LOVED my HW-277, but if you use it a lot and if you boondock with it, you'll need to be "handy."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh Water Support.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	271519   Click image for larger version

Name:	a lost park 3.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	583.0 KB
ID:	271520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Stairs2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	271521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Solar.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	271522  
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 05:37 PM   #6
rfifer

We had a 277 HW for about 2 1/2 years - and we thoroughly enjoyed it! But we also put the dinette table down when closing up for pillows, cushions, and bathroom door storage. The other factor that we found (as was mentioned above) is the tuck of the tent side. If the table is up, that amount of fabric that gets tucked in all around has the potential to apply a lot of downward pressure on part or all of the table top just depending on how the fabric and plastic window covers are tucked in. So putting it down served as an "ounce of prevention" not mention some extra storage.
TV F-150
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote