Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #1

HW296 DVD play back problems

I have a 2014 Rockwood HW296. Tv works, Genesis entertainment center seems to work for playing DVDs, but there is no video, only audio. I have tried all input selections on the tv, and the composite video cable is plugged in. There is a cable under the camper going between the tv and entertainment unit. So, either the cable is not connected to the back of the entertainment unit, out it's set up for the wrong output. Anyone have this issue? Anyone know how to pop out the entertainment unit?
mlachiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It's common for the cables to come loose behind the radio when they're first transported. popping the Genesis out isn't too difficult.

If it's a GT-2.0, you pry off the side bezels on either side of the unit. Look from the sides and you'll see small indentations where you can use a flat bladed screwdriver to lift the sides. Once these are off you'll have access to the screws. Remove the screws, and then gently pull the unit forward, twisting slightly to the right, so that the left side rear corner clears first. This is because the GT-2.0 has some hookups on the right side so they prevent it from sliding directly out.

I haven't done it with a GT-3.0, but from what I've read on these forums, it sounds like it's a similar approach. Except that the GT-3.0 is a single bezel around the whole unit and that it pries off from the top and bottom. (Those with a GT-3.0, please correct me if I'm wrong.)
Old 10-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to pry the bezel ends off and remove the unit. Video cable was broken off from the unit cable must have been yanked on during install or transportation. Not enough slack on the cable at the gt2 unit. Well have to snake a new cable thru. Thanks
mlachiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear you found the problem. Sorry to hear it requires you snaking a new cable. However, this might be a good opportunity to run a few more cables. For instance, I also ran a set of audio cables to patch the TV sound back into the surround speakers and an HDMI patch cable so I can plug in the phone in a convenient location.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #5

Glad you were able to find the problem.

On my unit (They no longer use Genesis) they just drilled a hole in the floor to run the video cable to the TV. I can see how the cable could become snagged and tug.

Don't you love these easy fixes?

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #6

We just picked up a 2015 HW296 1 week ago and it had a similar problem. We had very poor video, black & white/static/grainy/erratic video, but good audio. We used a short video cable we had from the house to troubleshoot the problem after we read the book and tried all other fixes we could think of. Fixed the problem instantly. So we went to Radio Shack and picked up a 12 ft. cable for $15.00. I removed the old cable and routed the replacement the same way. We found the factory cable had a splice about 12" to 15" from the plug on the Genesis Radio/DVD player end. When we removed the tape the cable splice fell apart in our hands. Hard to believe that a no or poor video issue made it past the final factory Quality inspection and the dealer PDI inspection. But then again the remote was the wrong one for our Genesis unit also. Our dealer never tried the unit on the day we picked it up.
Mowrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #7

I did not get a Genesis system with my 2015 HW296. I got an iRV unit. It seems to work pretty well.

I am not excited about the yellow AV cable as the unit has an HDMI output and the TV has an HDMI input. I need to figure out a what to get a cable from the unit to the TV so I can crank up the resolution.

If anyone has done this, I would be interested in any ideas.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 10-17-2014, 12:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
I did not get a Genesis system with my 2015 HW296. I got an iRV unit. It seems to work pretty well.

I am not excited about the yellow AV cable as the unit has an HDMI output and the TV has an HDMI input. I need to figure out a what to get a cable from the unit to the TV so I can crank up the resolution.

If anyone has done this, I would be interested in any ideas.

Vin.

Vin,
Long HDMI cables could get pricy. Try monoprice.com
Pill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:44 AM   #9

I was thinking that I might only need a 10' HDMI or so. I was simply thinking of fishing the HDMI thru the cabinet door below the stove and simply running it across the floor while we watch a movie. I would not use it for TV as I do not believe the cable line runs through the stereo unit.

I am just looking to pump up the resolution a bit.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 10-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #10

Quote:
I was thinking that I might only need a 10' HDMI or so. I was simply thinking of fishing the HDMI thru the cabinet door below the stove and simply running it across the floor while we watch a movie. I would not use it for TV as I do not believe the cable line runs through the stereo unit.

I am just looking to pump up the resolution a bit.

Vin.

Vin,

My unit had quite a few floor holes for factory cables that were not adequately sealed that I used for access to increase 12volt wiring. You may be able to use these if your hesitant to make more holes.

The frame also has multiple holes/supports to attach the HDMI cable to.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #11

HDMI 's have that thin wide head for attachment. You will need a 3/4" hole I would think. That is a bit too big for me to drill. Just too paranoid about the floor. They are fragile enough as it is.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 10-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #12

Quote:
HDMI 's have that thin wide head for attachment. You will need a 3/4" hole I would think. That is a bit too big for me to drill. Just too paranoid about the floor. They are fragile enough as it is.

Vin,

I had multiple factory holes already in the floor large enough to easily pass SAE cables through. Once I'm sure that I have everything I need in place, will properly deal the holes.

Tags
dvd