Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2021, 08:20 PM   #1

HW296 - Mattress

Hello All,

What are you all using for mattress upgrades in the HW296?
Seems my old butt needs a little more cushion?
Fitment? Brand? Cost?
Ditch the OEM and start new?
What the best option that will work on the space I have.

Thanks,

Bryan
bryankloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:25 AM   #2

There is a "normal" popup mattress and a thicker premium one. From what I have seen the FR HW units have the much thicker, premium one.

I have the thinner version and hated it. I put a 3 inch thick king foam mattress topper on it that came with a 1 inch thick fabric mattress pad included. I had to cut down one side I think about a foot to match the king end, put a mattress protector around it and am really happy with that.

You with the premium mattress I would think would be even happier.

I believe it was this one:
https://www.samsclub.com/p/serta-4-i...=plp_product_1

It is a bit of effort. With your HW you may be able to fold it up and put it on floor for travel. I have to get the bunks in, there is about a 16-18 inch space between them. I pull the mattress back to cover both the front and rear bunk so there is space for the tent at the end otherwise closing is a hassle.

Before doing something like this, assuming you don't want to put it on the floor I would suggest seeing what kind of room you have above your bunk mattress and the roof.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:42 AM   #3

Thank you.

What is a good method for determining the amount of "space" available for beefier mattress with the top down?

I offered to close her up with the wife inside, but that didn't go over well...
bryankloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:47 AM   #4

Lol, well give her a tape measurer at least

I believe if you raise it a bit and open the travel door you can close it again and see the space above the bunk. insert a measuring tape at the edge and measure down to what you can see as I expect the top of the mattress will be out of site, then subtract the distance from that back to the top of the mattress after you open back up a little.

For me its more difficult to close for travel because the foam topper is fighting back against the close but its never been an issue and caused no damage. I find that if I let the roof rest a bit in the down position it helps to compress the topper and its very easy to close then but if I am in a hurry it takes some pushing down.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:19 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

I had same concerns with my Murphy bed, but memory foam topper compresses quite a bit. I just put a topper on this year, big difference in comfort.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:16 PM   #6

I'm using a Sealy TrueForm 3" topper on top of the mattress and it works great. I have the premium innerspring mattresses on our Premier 2716g. They stopped making none highwall premier models in 2021 for some stupid reason.

However you can't leave on bed, it needs to be rolled up and stored in camper. I use 6 utility straps to keep it rolled up and a 55 gallon yard bag to put it in so that it doesn't get dirty.

Works pretty good and makes the beds nice and comfortable. Without, IMO, the mattress isn't to bad and I can sleep decent but the topper makes it more comfortable. My wife needs the topper or she wakes up in pain.

My old 29' Jayco bunkhouse 26BH, innerspring mattress was even worse. I've never was in so much pain. I had to go to walmart to buy a topper mid-trip just so I could sleep. Glad that camper is gone, so much work, money, and pain towing it. Love my large Pop Up in comparison.
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote