RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #1

Idea for mattress pad

We have only used our pop up one time since we bought it. I put the 3” pad on the bed that we had from our last camper. It made that side very hard to close, so I wonder if anyone has any ideas for a way to make the bed a little more comfortable without having to remove and store the pad each time. One thought I had was to cut those rubber interlocking pads that are used for gym flooring.

“Always do what’s right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest” – Albert Einstein
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:28 PM   #2

I'm curious to know what others are using myself. We just purchased our pup a couple of weeks ago and after taking it out last weekend for the first time, I found out just how uncomfortable those mattresses are.

Tuefel Hunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:45 PM   #3
Gold Tee Box

We have a full queen size mattress in our TT, and ordered the "My Pillow" mattress pad. It's a couple inches thick and really makes a difference, sure beats some foam pad.
60+ campgrounds/400+ nights, 20K+ Miles towing since 2015
Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:53 PM   #4

Someone here commented about using a air mattress we tried it and my wife loved it
jwh4984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime View Post
We have a full queen size mattress in our TT, and ordered the "My Pillow" mattress pad. It's a couple inches thick and really makes a difference, sure beats some foam pad.
Thanks Teetime, though I'm not sure a full size mattress would work for us with popups.

Tuefel Hunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime View Post
This thread is in the Tent Camper/Popup section of the Forum. The OP owns a popup.

A regular mattress won't work, ESPECIALLY with a topper on it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:32 PM   #7

Following to see what others have come up with . We put a 3 “ memory foam in our pleasureway which was super comfy but to heavy and awkward too store. Might have to try an air mattress .
Has anyone used the backpacking mattresses they roll up quite compact , so that may be an option
dwreefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
This thread is in the Tent Camper/Popup section of the Forum. The OP owns a popup.

A regular mattress won't work, ESPECIALLY with a topper on it.

If you read the response it states that a 2" My Pillow topper was used on top of the mattress. The suggestion was to use this topper instead of foam.

Not to buy a new mattress.
2018 JGC Limited 4x4 w/tow
MarkDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #9

When we had a pop-up we used an egg-crate mattress topper from a big box store. The topper was inexpensive and pretty comfortable. We had no problems when storing the bunk ends.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #10

We have a pop up camper that we pull with our motorcycle. We replaced the mattress with a memory foam topper and it sleeps fine over bare plywood. Way better than what came with the camper! Folds up fine too.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #11

Years ago when we were still in our pop up we removed the original mattress and put a single height queen air mattress on both beds. We would fill them up with a batterie operated air compressor which only took a couple of minutes as we were installing the doors and getting the rest of the camper buttoned up. Worked great but in the mountains the air in the bed was cold and my wife froze so we ended up putting an un-zipped spread out old-school rectangular sleeping bag over the mattress as a cover which helped to prevent the cold air to get my wife. They now have much more comfortable air mattresses so that will be a big help.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #12

We used the interlocking foam 2'x2' squares under the mattresses and put egg crate foam on top. It made an significant improvement for sleeping and did not affect the ease when closing the sliding beds.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:21 AM   #13

we didn't have any issues. we also have a plastic mattress cover atop the original bed. Figured if it was raining during camper take down it would at least keep the mattress dry

it was very nice to have heated mattress which then warms the air mattress (we do use sheets on the air mattress). Put the fitted sheet over the air mattress before adding air... otherwise it is a pain to get the sheet on at the far corners!

I believe this is the model we have

https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountain...+green+camping
geologist1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:19 PM   #14

Just got our PUP, and my wife looked around and found this,, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...RIP35NG5Q&th=1

made a big improvement and being only 2" lets us close the camper up.
TimothyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:05 AM   #15

Thanks for all the ideas. Sounds like we could have a garage full of mattresses/toppers before we discover the right one for us.
Of course, I suspect like most of you, we have five plastic bins full of stuff we used in one camper but don’t need for this one.

“Always do what’s right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest” – Albert Einstein
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote