RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-12-2020, 12:31 AM   #1

Important, had CO leak in 2716g

While giving my daughter a shower in the camper, the CO monitor went off after a weird smell my wife and I detected near the water heater cabinet.

Turns out that the water heater wasn't installed properly and the cut out hole was a bit to big where the water heater gasket didn't seal properly. Exhaust was getting pulled back into camper.

Tech at dealer used sealant to seal the water heater so that the exhaust wasn't being pulled into the water heater cabinet, then pulled in to the living area. My camper was the 3rd he seen do this.

So please use this as a warning!

We will now be getting another CO alarm for the camper to use as a redundant system if the main CO monitor doesn't work.

We will also turn off the water heater when not needed.

This issue caused my wife to be done with this 2nd troubled 2716g and wanted to just get rid of it after it was fixed. BUT don't like our other options so we'll see if this is finally fixed, if not, back to getting repaired then finally sold.

Patience has just ran out with the quality of these units when we never had issues like these on our Jaycos or Starcraft new units.
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet. Trucks and Trailers.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:29 AM   #2

This is a good warning. I usually don't keep the hot water on beyond what's needed. ie: I'll turn it on 10 mins before showers but turn it off right after. I do this to conserve LP but hadn't really thought about the exhaust. I'll inspect our hot water heater now to ensure a good seal to the exterior of the camper as CO is always a concern I have when camping.

Having said that I was concerned that the CO sensor would be less effective given that we always have fans or AC running. I'm wondering now if a second CO sensor closer to the furnace and hot water end of the camper would be better. Also, just to be safer while inside the camper I ALWAYS have the roof fan open and running, at least on a low setting, regardless whether the furnace or AC is running. This helps exchange the interior air and gives peace of mind.

I don't have a 2716 but do have a 625D (2516G).
SomeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:38 AM   #3

Thanks for the info, Any chance of getting some pictures of the area? May be even more helpful for others to check theirs.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:41 PM   #4

This is the bottom opening that the Tech sealed but he might have also sealed more as he said he was going to pull it out. He may have resealed the outter edges where the sealant can't be seen.

2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet. Trucks and Trailers.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak