Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2020, 10:39 AM   #1

Indoor Lighting

Hi, first post here.

I have a 2006 Rockwood Freedom pop up camper. The three indoor lights are LED lights but are very dim. I have researched and don't believe it is related to the 12v converter. Does anyone know what lights I should buy that replace the lights in my pop up? Thanks in advance.

Scott
Risveglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risveglio View Post
Hi, first post here.

I have a 2006 Rockwood Freedom pop up camper. The three indoor lights are LED lights but are very dim. I have researched and don't believe it is related to the 12v converter. Does anyone know what lights I should buy that replace the lights in my pop up? Thanks in advance.

Scott
I'd start with the battery first. You need to use a multimeter to check the converter's output. And check each battery cell with a hydrometer.
The chance that all 3 bulbs went bad at the same time, is very unlikely.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:23 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Welcome to the forum!

Are you saying you believe the lights work properly and are simply not bright enough or do you believe them to have an issue causing them to not have full illumination?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Are you saying you believe the lights work properly and are simply not bright enough or do you believe them to have an issue causing them to not have full illumination?
I've already tested the 12v converter and it is working fine. The marine battery is brand new as well and testing 13volts. This weekend, I am going to replace a 30 amp fuse that should have been 20 amps and replace a rusty auto reset circuit breaker that was on the battery that was bad. There is also a by-pass switch connected to the battery for some reason that could be causing the problem with the lights. Everything in the camper that uses 12v is working: the lights, the fan and the heater but all three lights are very dim and bluish. I checked and they are LED lights. I'll know more after this weekend. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:24 AM   #5

Certainly worth confirming that the full battery voltage is getting *to* the ceiling leds. A partially broken wire harness getting the power to the roof is suspect, as is a bad main ceiling light switch if that model has one.
wcarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #6

Thanks. I have tried to test the ceiling LED lights with my voltmeter but don't seem to be doing it right since nothing has registered. I removed the bulb and stuck the positive end of the voltmeter in the socket and grounded the other end but no reading. Again, all three lights are producing a dim light that's livable but needs to be brighter. What is the proper method to test the voltage in the lights; how do I test for a broken wire harness and how do I test for a bad main ceiling light switch?

Thanks so much.

Scott
Old 10-12-2020, 09:14 AM   #7
RV There Yet?

I would be looking to measure the voltage drop at the light with the light on. see what the voltage is when one is on, then two, then three. it may be a grounding issue. can you post a picture of your light with the cover off so we can help more?
Old 10-12-2020, 10:45 PM   #8

Quote:
I removed the bulb and stuck the positive end of the voltmeter in the socket and grounded the other end but no reading.
The most accurate way of seeing the voltage at the ceiling socket is to measure with the meter at the socket using both leads. If the socket is too small, then poke pins/needles through the insulation over the the wires inside the housing to get a connection.

When you say "grounded the other end" of the meter, where precisely was that? On a metal part of the trailer like the sink? That might not be grounded to the frame.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarton View Post
The most accurate way of seeing the voltage at the ceiling socket is to measure with the meter at the socket using both leads. If the socket is too small, then poke pins/needles through the insulation over the the wires inside the housing to get a connection.

When you say "grounded the other end" of the meter, where precisely was that? On a metal part of the trailer like the sink? That might not be grounded to the frame.
I had a simple tester at first and the light did not come on. I bought a voltmeter and tried both ways to get a reading: 1) with the positive end in the light socket and grounding it to the frame of the light and 2) sticking both ends of the voltmeter into the light but the light socket was so small, I didn't get a reading. I will try and stick the ends into the housing to get a reading. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2020, 02:57 PM   #10

Quote:
I had a simple tester at first and the light did not come on. I bought a voltmeter and tried both ways to get a reading: 1) with the positive end in the light socket and grounding it to the frame of the light and 2) sticking both ends of the voltmeter into the light but the light socket was so small, I didn't get a reading. I will try and stick the ends into the housing to get a reading. Thanks!
I have narrowed the problem with my dim ceiling lights. I know that my power converter is working and the fan, heater, outlets and outside light works but the ceiling lights are still dim. I noticed that my kill switch is not working because when the galley is in the down position, the ceiling lights still come on. Do you think the kill switch could be the problem with the dim lights and do you think that there still is a crimp in the electrical line leading to the lights? Also, where do the wires come up from the trailer base to the roof for the lights? Thanks in advance. Here are two pictures of my lights with the cover removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	241495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	241496  
Old 10-19-2020, 03:13 PM   #11

The switch can do exactly that, especially if the internal contacts get oxidized or corroded. Or there could be a poor connection in the crimped lugs on the back of the switch. Much less likely to be an almost-severed wire somewhere else in the circuit.

I would get at the switch, remove it if you can, dunk it in isopropyl alcohol, and press the button a hundred times or so and see if it works better. You can replace it, or even bypass it (remove the wires going to it and connecting them together with a wirenut) if you're consistent about always shutting off the lamps at the fixtures.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarton View Post
The switch can do exactly that, especially if the internal contacts get oxidized or corroded. Or there could be a poor connection in the crimped lugs on the back of the switch. Much less likely to be an almost-severed wire somewhere else in the circuit.

I would get at the switch, remove it if you can, dunk it in isopropyl alcohol, and press the button a hundred times or so and see if it works better. You can replace it, or even bypass it (remove the wires going to it and connecting them together with a wirenut) if you're consistent about always shutting off the lamps at the fixtures.
Thanks so much.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:10 PM   #13

Did you ever find the source of your problem? I'm having similar issues.
bobneal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:42 PM   #14

My kill switch does not work and I replace it with a new one. Somehow the wires must bypass the switch. I still can't figure out why my lights are so dim. It is a mystergy.

Tags
door, light