RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #21

I agree with the above posts concerning repair situation and HF generators, I do not know who repairs them if any problems. I can safely say that I have one of the original 2000 watt genny's, purchased to use around the property (not home backup type) for almost 4 yrs now.
Purchased it after reading several reviews off the Tear Drop Campers web page. Most of the reviews simply said to switch out the spark plug, ensure oil is full and the need to wait for the fuel to get to the carb. I did those things, pulled the rope once, pulled the choke out, turned on the switch ~ pulled the rope the 2nd time and it fired up. Do that every time and it starts every time. This is NOT the genny I use if boondocking in our 26RR, but - HF DID NOT have the 2000 watt piggy back inverter type generator back then.

I do not attempt or mean to ruffle anyone's attitude, just simply stating there isn't a need to dump on new members (or anyone else) if they can't afford to purchase top of the line items others think are the best or what they need.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post

I do not attempt or mean to ruffle anyone's attitude, just simply stating there isn't a need to dump on new members (or anyone else) if they can't afford to purchase top of the line items others think are the best or what they need.
Numerous members mentioned Champion and Generac inverter generators that are much cheaper than Honda and Yamaha units.
Champion 2000w units can be bought for $500 or less.
So more affordable choices were suggested.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #23

For kicks and grins I just did some Internet searching as to who made what for whom.

Some interesting facts bubbled up in my search.

One, Honda had their small engines made by Lifan (China) at one time and Honda built a small engine plant in China for their GX series engines, after they had a falling out with Lifan...

Lifan is considered the premier small engine builder in China with over 14,000 employees

Lifan and another company 'Longuchng (sic) builds engines for HF products and interestingly, Briggs and Stratton small engines are all built in China now as well as Kohler.

I knew that Kohler quit building small engines at their plant in Kohlker, Wisconsin some time ago and Briggs (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) also ceased production a while back but I didn't know where / who was making them. Now, I know.

And while not at all on subject, I have a Lincoln ac/dc gas driven welder generator powered by a K241 American Made Kohler single cylinder engine and it makes sweet music when it's running. Hard to beat the sound of a large displacement single chugging away....

Lots of interesting stuff to read if you look...
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #24

A couple quick things to add. First, the HFT web page on this TailGator is wrong on the sound level. The owner's manual clearly says 81 dB, NOT 91 dB as the web page says!

Second, I'm out camping with this little 900W generator right now and it's just NOT that noisy! Honestly, it's deployed no more than 30-35 feet from my popup on the other side of a small bush and my Fantastic ceiling fan on high is as loud. It's no big deal.

There are 2 other rigs in the campground with onboard generators, both of which are louder than mine.

And, yes, 900 W isn't much. But it's plenty to recharge my popup battery, which is literally all I wanted it for.
2012 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x2 with Tow Package
KWheelerAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
[I]HF does have an inverter genny (2000 watt start up) which can be paired with another (around $500.00 each), same as the Honda Eu2000 but are MUCH cheaper and even the pairing cord (if that's right) is MUCH cheaper (about $50.00). The HB model mimics the EU2000 and is only 2 db louder than the Honda model.
I bought (2) quiet WEN 56200i Yamaha 2000 clones (identical engine/layout slightly different...) for $380 each from a Woot_com sale. They came with a 2 year warranty & I got the 30A parallel kit for $40. Not bad for $800 total, or the price of just ONE Generac IQ 2000 at H.D., etc. & the quality of the WEN is comparable to the Champions whereas HF is hit & miss... Sometimes I have to take stuff back because their QC is inconsistent...

At the beach I couldn't tell the difference between the various Yamaha clones but the Hondas are JUST noticeably quieter. However, I rarely see Hondas these days as folks are too worried to have $2000 worth of generators stolen...

Also, I'd rather have (2) of the smaller 2000's than a Champion 3500, etc... I can lift one in each hand, have my kids carry one at a time, and/or quickly lock them in my pass-through storage, bathroom, etc. when we are gone & not using them... Also, when we don't need A/C I just run one & the other serves as a backup...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:46 AM   #26

generator

I tried to find the thread no luck. I also have a 1940 LTD and would like an economical generator; I recall I needed a minimum of 3000-3500 watts to run the AC. I don't like noise either, just to run a few hours during the hottest hours. Is the Champion 3500 unit acceptable?

2004 GMC Sierra 4x4
Ringbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:53 AM   #27

If your "minimum" is 3000 to 3500 the Champion is not large enough for your situation
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #28

Usually that generator rating is peak maximum output, not sustained maximum output.

Based on my experience with the HFT (Harbor Freight) generator I bought I wouldn't be afraid at all to buy another HFT generator. Here are a couple options coming up on their Memorial Day Sale:

https://www.harborfreight.com/

On the main page is a Predator 8750 (watt) for $539.99. But that looks heavy and bulky and not fun to move to me.

Another option, as suggested by another poster, get 2 of the Predator 2000's and a Parallel Kit and run them in tandem:

https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...arb-62523.html

These would be a LOT smaller and a LOT lighter, but more money.
2012 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x2 with Tow Package
KWheelerAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator