Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #1

Inline fuse between battery and camper destroyed

My inline fuse holder on the hot side of the battery completely scorched and melted last week during a trip. Never used battery power, just shore power with no problems. Lights on camper (turn signals, brakes and running lights) all worked during the trip home. Only noticed it when I unhooked the pup, so I don't know exactly when it happened.

It was pretty rainy on the trip, so maybe water intrusion? The terminals on the battery were connected correctly.

In any case, the camper is stored about 40 minutes away, and I need to replace the in-line fuse holder. Does anyone know what the gauge of the hot wire is? And is the fuse 20-25 or 30 amp? It's a 2005 FR Flagstaff 228.

Thanks in advance!
jgouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:45 PM   #2

I purchased #1 ATC ATO 10 Gauge fuse holder on Ebay for less than $5.00. It comes in a complete loop and you cut where the connection point is most convenient. I used a butt splice then used heat shrink to seal the splice. You could also electrical tape it then put it in a piece of loom to keep it sealed up tight. I installed a 30 AMP fuse into the weather tight holder. Hope this helps.
MohicanJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:50 PM   #3

Sounds like something shorted out. You have info on what to get and now to change, need to find out why it shorted out and melted the holder.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:20 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

The lights on the exterior of the camper, turn signals, brakes and running lights all work from your TV. This is a separate circuit from the pup battery and are fused on the TV, not the pup. The fuse holder on the pup from the battery is for the interior lights, water heater, water pump, refer, furnace, and scare light on the side of the camper. Your lights, furnace, water heater and water pump work on 12 volts even if you are plugged in to a pedestal or generator. So does the refer if you are propane. You have a electrical problem with the 12 volt operated parts.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:57 PM   #5

Like "dj" wrote, you have a short in the 12 volt system. Disconnect every 12 volt item and test each line, to see if you have a short.

Ram2500 diesel/Surveyor251RKS
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:58 PM   #6

whoops - like Scrapper wrote. Sorry
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:30 AM   #7

Update - Looks like it was water intrusion into the old fuse holder. Replaced fuse holder with new marine-grade version with cap, and all is well after 2 trips.
jgouin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, fuse