Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #1

Just bought our first pop up, big time newbie

Hello everybody,

Just picked up a 1996 Rockwood 1207 from a family that inherited it and had no idea how it all worked. Well this is our first trailer or even a pop up and I'm trying to figure it all out!

Got it hooked up to land power and everything seems to work but had some pretty simple questions for everybody here......probably too simple but I really have no idea what I have.

Hopefully these attachments will work, but first photo is something I just can't figure out what it's for, I know feel kind of stupid on this one but I have no idea. It's got a green rocker switch for power and a red one, a dail for low/med/high and another dial.

Second one is I'm guessing a hot water heater? From outside I was able to light the pilot and it worked fine. The water pump worked too but I turned it off right away because I didn't have water hooked up. At first I thought the pilot I lit from outside was for the heater but when I turned the heater on all I got was cold air (maybe there is a pilot at the heater?).

The third is the water hookups, just trying to figure out which one is for clean and which is gray water.

Anybody have the manual for the appliances on these? That might help me figure it all out. Still don't know how to turn the fridge on but I do have full tank of propane hooked up so I should be able to test everything.

Sorry about the dumb questions but I've tried everything I could by searching on the forum first but still haven't found my answers. Thank you everybody!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (1).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	48266   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (1).jpg
Views:	167
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	48267   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3 (1).jpg
Views:	189
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	48268  
uphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #2

Well for some reason today when I went out and opened up the tank and then turned the thermostat on the fan ran for about 5 min and then you heard the "click" and a little flame in the window of the furnace and she got hot!

Is picture number one the control for the refrigerator? To switch between onshore power 12v and gas? That's what I'm guessing right now.......maybe big green for onshore?
Old 03-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. Hope it is in good shape. You should also post pics of the camper, everyone likes pics. I will not be able to be a whole lot of help but if you post your appliances make and models, you might get more help.
The second picture is the water heater.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #4

The green button is for electric the red button is for battery 12v and the knob is for propane you for the refrigerator that is how mine looks you can have only one at time

Sent from my LG-P769 using Forest River Forums mobile app
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #5

My have switches mixed up 12v battery, 120v is electric

Sent from my LG-P769 using Forest River Forums mobile app
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #6

As far as the hookup, from right to left (top to bottom) sink/grey water drain, city water hook up, fresh water tank fill. The top picture is the refrigerator controls. If i remember correct, the green and red are for 110 and 12 volt, the knobs are for propane.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:11 PM   #7

Thank you everybody!

Huge help. Looking forward to having some fun in it, I'll post some pictures later.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:27 AM   #8
Incheon, S. Korea

Welcome!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 PM   #9

Things are coming together fairly well!

Upgrading to LED lights for the interior because most of our camping sites out here don't have hookups so this should help with not draining the battery.

The trailer didn't come with a battery so I went out today and bought a deep cycle battery at Costco. Hooked it up and nothing works.......when I'm hooked up to the house everything works but when I unplug I don't get anything off the battery. Is there a switch to go to onboard power?

The ground from the trailer base to the battery looks good, the positive cable runs back to a T where it branches off to the inside of the trailer and the other to the harness at the tongue of the trailer which I'm guessing is for charging the battery while driving?

I don't think that is hooked up as somebody hooked up a normal 4 prong connection for the lights but there is also 3 fairly high gauge wires just bare. Here are the pics.

Any ideas what these are for or why I don't have power with the battery?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-10.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	48875   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-11.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	48876  
Old 03-31-2014, 09:30 PM   #10

Don't know why those are sideways.

Let's try this.....

Old 04-01-2014, 04:16 AM   #11

Make sure the green switch is off and the red switch for 12v is on when running the battery.
mlangdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:20 AM   #12

The white one is usually a ground. I think the blue is for trailer brakes and the black one is for twelve volt. It originally had a 7 pin harness. I would find someone close that knows more about that than me.
mlangdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:47 AM   #13
Incheon, S. Korea

Here's a great link to wiring. White is usually ground on an RV trailer, and black is positive.
trailer wiring
You'll have to chase the wires back to where they originate to verify though, as someone has fiddled with everything.
There often is an in-line fuse on the positive side of the battery wires. Mine was underneath the trailer!
Also check the fuses in the voltage converter inside the trailer.
If you have a DMM, use it to see if you have any direct shorts to ground.
The no~shock~zone by Mike Sokol is recommended reading, too.
I hope this helps!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:00 AM   #14

I too would guess some dope cut off the 7 pin plug to opt for the lesser 4 pin flat you are holding. If you have a utility trailer shop in your area they can you get the correct plug back on your unit and get it wired correctly.

It is not difficult, the seven pin plug you buy normally has instructions about which wire goes were.

If you have a Tractor Supply Store in your area they are a great resource for purchasing all your wiring needs like this.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:08 AM   #15

Oh!, and just so you know you have contracted a virus that has a normal life cycle progression... tent, pop-up, travel trailer, 5th wheel, motorhome. Once you have contracted the virus you are hooked for life, there is no cure. And if you are lucky, you pass it on to your children.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangdn View Post
Make sure the green switch is off and the red switch for 12v is on when running the battery.
Are you talking about for running the fridge or in general just being on battery power?

I don't think I'll be running the fridge at all when on battery only just so we don't kill it too fast.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
I too would guess some dope cut off the 7 pin plug to opt for the lesser 4 pin flat you are holding. If you have a utility trailer shop in your area they can you get the correct plug back on your unit and get it wired correctly.

It is not difficult, the seven pin plug you buy normally has instructions about which wire goes were.

If you have a Tractor Supply Store in your area they are a great resource for purchasing all your wiring needs like this.
I think I'll be looking for a 7 pin harness today and rewire it. They cut it off after the harness plug on the tongue so it's pretty easy to see where everything is originally.

Thank you everybody for all the great info and PapaSmurf I know it's a sickness but it's something I'm willing to deal with for the wellness of all the human race
Old 04-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #18
daydreaming about camping

typically there is a main fuse between the battery and the "house" side of the trailer. Odds are good the fuse is blown. Could be in the power center inside.

Though - with the creative wiring going on with the plug, maybe someone cut something inside they should not have.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #19
Site Team

does your popup have electric brakes?
if so, you'll need the 7-pin connector and a brake controller.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
does your popup have electric brakes?
if so, you'll need the 7-pin connector and a brake controller.
uhhh well......I don't know... haha. I have no idea on how to tell if it does.

Tags
newbie, pop up