Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
DISTRBD63

Kayak rack system on a popup

I am not sure how to post here, but I will give this a shot! I have a 2013 Forest River/Flagstaff pop-up camper, and I really want to install roof racks on it for my kayaks, vs putting them on the top of my SUV which has become quite a challenge (I'm a short single female!). I have Yakima Bow Downs and want to use them on this rack system. I am hoping to find a system that I don't have to drill into the roof. Any input will help!! Thank you!
distrbd63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #2

I broke down and drilled....actually 4 bars worth. So far so good. If you are interested...I can tell you the what's and how's. I have 2 kayak bars, 2 bike racks, and 1 cargo tray.
mattgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #3

Rack help!!!!

Ohh my...I just got hooked up with this site last night. Dude, I JUST last week bought a 2013 Flagstaff mac. My partner and I are way pumped to put our fly flyfishing kayak on our AWESOME camper. Would you be so kind (if you have time) to let me know your kayak and bike system. The universe totally hooked me up with this site. Thanks much!
flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #4

With our popup, we used foam cradles and strapped ours down to the frame. We did not want to drill into the roof.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Always Learning

For those thinking of transporting on the roof of the pop-up, how are you going to get the boat to the water? How are you going to go kayaking when you're not camping?

IMO- get a good roof mount kayak rack for your tow vehicle and call it a day.

As for the height challenged- one of my kayaking buddies is 5' 4" or so and she drives a Toyota Tacoma with a topper. She's no body builder, either! There are systems that extend from the side of the vehicle or put rollers on the back of it that you can use to help loading.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #6

The Thule Hullavators are about $500 a piece. As much as my kayak!

There are dollies that you can use for hand portage. You can even make them yourself. Many times we pick a campsite that is near the boat launch or along the river/beach for easy access.

But yes, it is a consideration in our planning where we camp and what site we choose.

previous owner of
Old 04-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Always Learning

Yes, the Thule Hullavators are frightfully expensive. I know a guy that has TWO of them for his sit-on-top fishing kayaks. He says he got too old to be hoisting them up at 70 pounds a piece.

Sorry, I didn't say - I was a kayak guide in a past life. In my "boat" room are 5 kayaks - 1 recreational kayak (14' long, 28" wide that was my first boat), 2 transitional sea kayaks (not quite long and skinny, but more form fitting), a boat I built for me (wood frame, cloth skin - super tippy with lard a...(cough).. in it) and a boat I built for my daughter.

The Hullavator wasn't what I was thinking, this is more what I was thinking:
Yakima BoatLoader roof Watersports Rack

Or something like this:
Yakima Hully Rollers (I thought Thule had a similar product, but I'm having a hard time finding it at the moment) - with these, you put the front of the boat onto the roller and then roll/lift the back. You're only lifting 1/2 of a boat at a time that way.

As well, here's a recent thread on a local paddling association's board:
Chesapeake Paddling Assocation forum
Old 04-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #8

Have you ever seen someone using the Big Stack? That is what I'm considering for my Traverse. I already have a roof rack. And three kayaks (well, four, but two of them are hubbies and he's selling one), with the potential for more as the kids age. I'm considering the Big Stack since it seems I can put up four kayaks at a time.

I have a custom built kayak trailer, for when we just go kayaking locally. And as I said, when we had our popup we put them on top. Now we have to figure out a new system.

My yak and I have a special love affair. It would take something really unique for me to trade her in on something else. Not my husband.. he's always looking for his next conquest.

previous owner of
Old 04-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb74 View Post
Have you ever seen someone using the Big Stack? That is what I'm considering for my Traverse. I already have a roof rack. And three kayaks (well, four, but two of them are hubbies and he's selling one), with the potential for more as the kids age. I'm considering the Big Stack since it seems I can put up four kayaks at a time.

My yak and I have a special love affair. It would take something really unique for me to trade her in on something else. Not my husband.. he's always looking for his next conquest.
I think my friend used something like the Big Stack when 3 of us went paddling a local river:

The trick was to use a pair of straps PER boat. We did cheat on the bow/stern lines and tied the boats together first and THEN ran it to the bow/stern tie offs:

That said - I know it's expensive, but I'd probably recommend moving away from the factory roof rack and onto Thule or Yakima towers and bars. Frightfully expensive (I think I have $550 into my roof rack setup for my car). But, extremely better quality for carrying a bunch of weight.

Most factory racks are only rated for up to 150 pounds. Guessing - each of your kayaks likely weighs 50-70 pounds a piece.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #10

Yes, that's it! I'll have to check the rating on mine. Hate to have to replace it when I paid for it.

previous owner of