Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #1

Keeping it organized

I find that when we camp, the trailer tends to look like a bomb went off. We seem to have so much stuff everywhere. We try to leave as much as we can in the van, but the stuff stacks up. (Especially food items)

Do you have any tips or tricks to keep things looking relatively organized. I know it's a small space and with a child, we have a lot of stuff we pack.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #2

A 10' tent trailer is very difficult to keep "organized" with three people in it, even if one is a child. Don't worry, it gets worse as they get older!!!

Seriously, when we had a tent trailer, and then the pop-up, we policed dirty laundry out every day, stuffing it in net-style duffle bag(s), and keeping them where we weren't. If we were in camp, they were in the car, and if we were going site-seeing or into town, we'd move the bags into the trailer until we returned. Similarly, we used big Rubbermaid storage bins for non-coolered foods, moving them back and forth as well.

This constant shuffling of "stuff" is one of the reasons that we went to a bigger pop-up (the two kids slept in their tent and we used the opposite end bunk for storage) and eventually to a hardside.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:05 PM   #3

Search this subforum for"Storage ideas for a-frame campers" and look at the shelf the OP is talking about. I bought one and while it takes a few minutes to assemble each trip it's great to keep quite a few items in a handy place. Should work on tent campers as well as a frames.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:28 PM   #4

Here are some links that Jeep as referring:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f9/storage-ideas-for-a-frame-campers-16500.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f9/i-am-new-and-have-a-question-19760.html
Old 06-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #5

We use plastic bins that we label the lids showing what is in the bin. All kitchen items like coffe pot, pots/pans and water picher go in one. Another has all paper products, paper plates/bowls,plastic silverware,paper towels, napkins, TP, etc.
Another has all the non parishable food items in it. Parishable items go into fridge and any thing large goes into the cooler. Clothes the same way. Has worked out pretty well. Took awhile to organize the way we want it and then all goes into the bed of the truck and we get what we need when we need it. Keeps the camper fairly clean and organized. Good Luck.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMaple View Post
I find that when we camp, the trailer tends to look like a bomb went off. We seem to have so much stuff everywhere. We try to leave as much as we can in the van, but the stuff stacks up. (Especially food items)

Do you have any tips or tricks to keep things looking relatively organized. I know it's a small space and with a child, we have a lot of stuff we pack.
Never let the women folk do the final pack.
Let them make the list and then cut it down by about 1/2.
I'm kidding... however on a serious note, I find that if I let my wife pack (sorry my love but) she tends to overpack. BUT the last time she did - she forgot her own cloths and blamed me because she was packing for everyone (her and I). Unfortuately I was working off Herc's modified list for items outside in the garage for everything less food and cloths and hygene items.

I got my stuff... now we double check everything.
Rubbermade containers labelled sometimes works. Kit bags with cloths put away before anyone ventures outside for the day works as well as it does in the military.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #7

We started using a rubbermaid stackable drawer for all our clothes and I love it! No more clothes everywhere. I use the kids bunk end to store out dirties (they are 2 and 3 so don't mind).

We just camp for 2 or 3 might at a time so to save space I put all the condiments in small Tupperware containers and take everything out of boxes to save space. I also do no drag everything out I leave it put away while it's a pain to get under a seat to get it at least we are not Tripping over it for days

For my pantry I use a dish pan next to the sink, my bathroom is a small container left lidded next to the sink and all the extras go in a box under the table.
Beth K is offline   Reply With Quote