Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #1

LIFT KIT for Torflex Axle

I've been frustrated in my search for a lift-kit for my 2014 HW-277.

This trailer has a single Torflex axle. Before I resort to a local welder, I'm wondering if anyone here has had luck with any of the commercially available kits.

Dexter Torflex offers this kit:
K71-723-01: Frame Spacer Kit
Fits Dexter Torflex #9 axles. Increases ride by 2.63", for one axle.
NOTE: Lift Kits cannot be used with Torflex axles produced with 3" high profile brackets.
That disclaimer is a concern...I don't know what "3" high profile brackets" are. I have a photo of my axle below.
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure my rig has a Dexter brand torsion axle...it's at a shop now getting the bearings and brakes serviced, so I don't have access to the owner's manuals.

This is the Dexter site with the listing...scroll down to find the item.

If I get a local welder to weld in, say, a 2" x 3" x 3/16" wall square stock and match the suspension holes, I have no doubt that it will cost 3 or 4 times the price of one of these kits... or more. I'll have a rock-solid job, but it's also a one-way street. The Dexter kit could always be removed by a subsequent owner...a welded-in mod cannot.

So, has anyone else installed one of these kits...or another brand (say Lippert) and had good luck? Your experience will be very valuable.

P.S. there are a couple of essentially unresolved threads on the subject in the forums, but no real answers that I could find.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suspension 1.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	167560  
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:48 PM   #2

I have the dexter 4K tandem axles under our RV. When I changed trucks the RV was towing nose high about 5". I installed Dexter #10 Torflex Lift Kit (K71-707-02) lifting the RV almost 3" bringing it level when hitched and towing, a must with tandem axles.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #3

I recently had 6 foot lengths of 2" by 4" rectangular tubing welded onto my frame and then had the axles remounted. It was much more expensive that that kit, but I had another issue. My frame was cracking at the current axel mounting points at all four points. I did this to fix the breaking mounts and raise my camper so it didn't drag when I come in and out of my driveway.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #4

I have that kit (similar, I think I have 10's) in my shop I never used. I can take a pic if you want. One thing I notice is your axle has shifted. Seems fairly common. Notice the gap.
rat4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #5

They are made for side bolt or under bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6839.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	167574   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6841.jpg
Views:	1682
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	167575   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6843.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	167576  
rat4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:49 PM   #6

Have you tried contacting Forest River? I got my lift kit from them. They just needed the trailer VIN number and sent me the kit I needed.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat4spd View Post
I have that kit (similar, I think I have 10's) in my shop I never used. I can take a pic if you want. One thing I notice is your axle has shifted. Seems fairly common. Notice the gap.
I wrote another thread about the gap. The lift kit will prevent that in the future.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #8
Don

Lift Kits for Dexter Torflex

I was confused too when I explored this avenue. I took the serial numbers off my axles and called Dexter. They told me that my axles were produced with the 3 inch brackets so the kits would not work with my RV. I suspected this to be the case because I had measured the brackets on the axles and they measured very close to 3 inches. I have pulled my fifth wheel for 3 years with it about 2 inches nose high and have had no problem whatsoever with tires or anything else. Your axles don't look as though they have the 3 inch brackets on them. A quick call to Dexter with the serial numbers will solve the issue for you.
Sandy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #9

Not sure if this helps at all. I have a 2004 1904 premier that was equipped with torsion axle. One of them started to sag more than was supposed too. I was looking into replacing the whole axle. I talked with a trailer shop and they suggested I just change over to a leaf sling axle. So for about $1300 I had them install a 3500# axle. Had it lifted it 6” and put on 15” wheels. I never understood the appeal of torsion suspension. I am now able to take the camper just about anywhere. In my opinion it was worth every penny. Also heard the torsion axles lifetime is around ten years. It sure how true that is. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2907.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	167810
Coloradokubicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
I wrote another thread about the gap. The lift kit will prevent that in the future.
The lift kit did not prevent the "gap" from happening again, how do I know this. After a 5K mile trip the gap was back on both axles tho a bit less on the rear axles. I drilled a 5/16 hole thru the axel bracket where the gap was. I bolted them closed with 5/16 gr8 bolts nuts and washers. End of problem
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #11

An update.

My axle was made by Alco...now owned by Dexter. After fruitless searches for Alco kits, I contacted Forest River parts and they shipped a kit. I have a single axle, but they shipped a double axle kit.

My concern about fit was unfounded, because my kit looks for all the world like other kits featured in responses above. I probably could have purchased the Dexter kit from eTrailer.

I had it installed at a local auto repair shop. This would be an easy enough DIY project, but I don't have enough jacks and jack stands to do it, so I got help. The shop, of course, has a lift and an axle support for dropping axles...easy peasy for them.

I'm very pleased with the outcome. I've ordered a new drop-leg for my tongue jack, because the extra height is more than my jack can manage and still meet the newly raised hitch ball on my TV. Blocks of wood or plastic jack pads are fine and all, but I like a firm connection with the ground. We often setup on sloped terrain near a lake. I like to secure the foot of my drop leg in a wheel dock to keep it from sliding about.

If anyone needs a lift kit for a single axle, I'll sell my spare for $20 plus shipping (expect about $15 to $20).

My days of dragging stairs and jeopardizing my black-tank dump are over! Thanks to all who joined in the discussion.

P.S. If my new installation starts to drift downward with the slotted attachment point, I'll follow the advice above and add a 5/16" bolt to pin it in place.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #12

Hi Jim, Just purchased my HW27KS and I'll be needing that kit of yours. PM me with your info to send payment and I'll send it over.
Decker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Hi Jim, Just purchased my HW27KS and I'll be needing that kit of yours. PM me with your info to send payment and I'll send it over.
Awesome...full disclosure, the mechanic confessed to "stealing" a spare bolt or two. I'll do a head count and let you know. PM coming your way.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:53 AM   #14

Jimmoore13, do you have the part number of the kit that Rockwood sent you? Anyways, I'll give them a call. I need to lift my 2011 Rockwood HW277 too.
Chor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chor View Post
Jimmoore13, do you have the part number of the kit that Rockwood sent you? Anyways, I'll give them a call. I need to lift my 2011 Rockwood HW277 too.
I provided an update "above" in the thread.

Email kswope@forestriverinc.com
Provide VIN number.
Ask for lift kit to fit that VIN.

Very likely, your part will be the same, but no guarantees. That's why the VIN.
Plus, you might get lucky and NOT get a double-axle kit, as I did.
My part, PRD289882, was for two axles. Fortunately, someone on this thread needed the unused portion. It seems I paid about $178 or so for the two-axle kit and about $300 to get a local car mechanic to install it.

I have the Alko axle, but now Dexter owns them, so you might approach Dexter, or you just might make it easy on yourself and go to a Forest River dealer and let them do it.

It's within the realm of a DIY project, but one needs several jacks, at least 4 jack stands, and a strong back (you'll be crawling under the trailer). My car mechanic threw the thing on a lift and they had an Axle Stand to hold up the axle when disconnected...much easier for them.
You should also have good air tools and a serious torque wrench. You can get by without, but suspension bolts aren't small, and they're damned tight. A decent compressor and a good 1/2" or 3/4" drive impact wrench is kind of a must. The RV dealer has all this stuff and access to the right parts AND experience doing the job. I'm 100 miles from a FR dealer, so I did it the "hard way."

Tags
axle, lift