Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2021, 09:28 PM   #1

Linked batteries won't charge?

Second season with our Rockwood 2514G popup, model year 2015. During a trip last weekend the batteries ran low (no shore power), so when I got home I tried hooking up a 6 amp automotive-type battery charger to one of my two linked batteries. After many hours the charger indicated still charging (vs. float mode) which did not seem right, so I disconnected them from each other and charged them separately. Each went to float mode, indicating fully charged, in about 30 minutes. Is there something about this setup that prevents them charging while linked? Or maybe should I have attached one clamp to each battery, instead of both to one?
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery setup.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	254801
rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:56 PM   #2

The way to help balance the load on the batteries in parallel is to connect pos to pos and neg to neg of the batteries. Then connect positive lead of the load (trailer) to the pos terminal of one battery and the negative lead of the load (trailer) to the neg term of the other battery. In your current setup you have zero load balancing which is even more drastic because you have two different batteries connected together. Are they the same age and Ah capacity?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:16 AM   #3

Thanks much for the response! Wow I had no idea, that's the way it came to us, so I suspect part of the reason our juice ran low is that I was probably using only one battery. No idea of batttery age, I have been keeping them topped off when not in use but probably should start fresh with two new ones. And I will connect as you suggest.

BTW would you suggest replacing with two 6V batteries, or stick with 12V's. (it's sure a lot of tongue weight!)
Old 05-20-2021, 10:33 AM   #4
Site Team

Maybe just me, but the batteries appear to be very different age. When using /charging batteries in parallel it is recommended that they be the same type (capacity) and age. Your connections are fine. How old are the batteries?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:41 AM   #5

Best bang for the buck is two Sam’s or Costco 6 volt batteries. $200 or less.

Measure well. 6 volt batteries are taller!

You have very much violated the matching battery thing.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:47 AM   #6

no doubt, since we got it used the older one may even be original eqpt. I'll get two new ones.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:48 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidly View Post
Thanks much for the response! Wow I had no idea, that's the way it came to us, so I suspect part of the reason our juice ran low is that I was probably using only one battery. No idea of batttery age, I have been keeping them topped off when not in use but probably should start fresh with two new ones. And I will connect as you suggest.

BTW would you suggest replacing with two 6V batteries, or stick with 12V's. (it's sure a lot of tongue weight!)
Looking at the connections in your photo, there is no way it was using one battery. With that said... could one battery be low and drawing down the other... sure! Batteries wired in parallel will only be as good as the worst of the two.

Lots of discussion on two 6v vs 2 12v. Lots of opinions.

I prefer two 12v but I have a battery selector switch and only use one at a time. Everyone has THEIR own way.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Looking at the connections in your photo, there is no way it was using one battery. With that said... could one battery be low and drawing down the other... sure! Batteries wired in parallel will only be as good as the worst of the two.

Lots of discussion on two 6v vs 2 12v. Lots of opinions.

I prefer two 12v but I have a battery selector switch and only use one at a time. Everyone has THEIR own way.
That sounds like a good idea. If you have them parallel they last longer but both discharge. The way you have it one can be used while the other charged sounds like a better idea.
dave1650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:40 AM   #9

https://www.solarseller.com/2ce926f10.jpg

Wire your battery’s like this, it’s better for them.
Your setup will work, but no optimal.

Also, battery’s should be same. Amp hours, age, etc.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:55 AM   #10

I am much happier with two 6v batteries from Costco. They are true deep cycle. Use the diagram from kcmusa. I'd also recommend a solar panel or two and a charge controller. Your batteries will love you for it, and it is so convenient. As long as the sun shines, you're golden. Even in rainy weather with 200 watts, we don't need a generator.

Tags
batteries