RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #21
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Do some RV parks discriminate by not allowing pop-up campers?
No...

It's just too darned hot down here in the summer months for popups.

And not too many snowbirds bring them here in the winter.

We drove around a lot of boondocking places between Yuma and Quartzsite this winter, plus over in the Imperial sand dunes in California and I don't believe I saw one single popup anywhere.

I also haven't seen a single popup at any of the RV dealerships here in Yuma.

That is not to say that there aren't any around, but they are few and far between around these parts!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #22
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Johnd10, yea, when we had ours, we camped a lot in the winter, and summers, went up in the forests above the rim. Often camped at the Grand Canyon. Now, there are so many going there, hard to get in on the fly. Loved camping during the recession!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #23
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Where does Star Craft fit in to this. First Pop up I borrowed and that is how I got into buying my first Jayco camper. Later RJD
I wondered the same thing. They don't seem to mention pop-ups on their site at all:
https://starcraftrv.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Do some RV parks discriminate by not allowing pop-up campers?
Yep. You'll find all kinds of rules. I know of one park in particular that is no-popup campers (or tents or rigs less than 26'). I know of another Class A Motorcoach-only park. I've seen rules of no rigs older than 10 years and things like "no window air conditioners". Some places disallow school-bus conversions (schoolies) or anything that doesn't have an RVIA sticker.

You name it, I bet there's a place with a rule about it.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #24
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I wondered the same thing. They don't seem to mention pop-ups on their site at all:
https://starcraftrv.com/

Yep. You'll find all kinds of rules. I know of one park in particular that is no-popup campers (or tents or rigs less than 26'). I know of another Class A Motorcoach-only park. I've seen rules of no rigs older than 10 years and things like "no window air conditioners". Some places disallow school-bus conversions (schoolies) or anything that doesn't have an RVIA sticker.

You name it, I bet there's a place with a rule about it.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it 'discrimination' when an RV park makes rules about certain kinds of RV's for their place.

'Owner Preference' would more than cover that...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to call it 'discrimination' when an RV park makes rules about certain kinds of RV's for their place.

It's semantics but it fits the definition perfectly:

Quote:
discrimination
noun [ U ] US ​ /dɪˌskrɪməˈneɪʃən/
discrimination noun [ U ] (WORSE TREATMENT)

the treatment of a person or particular group of people differently, in a way that is worse than the way people are usually treated:
My money is just as green and spends the exact same way now that I own a 5th wheel compared to when I owned a pop-up.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #26
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post

I agree. I must have mentally skipped the word "discrimination". Their park, their rules. Some I'll go to, some I'll skip. No skin off my teeth.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:58 PM   #27

I've been to every type of park, private campgrounds, State Parks, National Parks, RV Parks as KOA, and Amusement Parks as Jellystone Parks.

With the RV Parks, I will say I'll never be back to KOA or Jellystone (Except at Mammoth Cave). KOAs are nothing but cramped parking spots and not even a campsite. Jellystones I've seen and been to, are like mobile home parks but with RVs instead. They don't offer much other than noise and stuff I'm trying to get away from.

National Parks and State Parks are usually beautiful parks with large campsites to enjoy the beauty. Usually there's beautiful trails to hike, lakes to explore and fish, and other natural sites to see.

There's private campgrounds which can go from crap to great. You have to research and find what each one is. Can go from a rustic campground similar to a state park to a crowded, noisy, parking lot similar to a KOA or Jellystone.

Even when I had my travel trailers, if a park didn't want pop ups, they were usually a parking lot, RV park, that I wouldn't waste my time at anyhow. So I had no interest.

It's all in what you what you want to do. RV parks are somewhere to park your RV so that you can explorer the city or town IMO. Not my cup of tea. I like to go camping so I avoid the RV Parks.

If anything, a Pop Up is more ideal than a Travel Trailer, 5er or motorhome for hot weather. I have had travel trailers and they are the worst to be in on hot days. You have to turn the AC on full and close the camper up, and be isolated from the place you're camping at. With a Pop Up, they offer the most air flow with all the windows open. You don't have to have AC going none stop like a travel trailer so you can sit in your camper at night and still enjoy the outside. They are like a giant screen house when opened all up. That's what I enjoyed most about my previous Pop Ups.

Everyone has a camper for different reasons. I know many who go just to socialize and get drunk. Not my idea of camping as I can do that at home, but some people are like that. I know as I grew up with some family that only camped to drink and socialize.

It's all in how you want to use your camper. For those who want to use campgrounds, RV parks that discriminate against Pop Ups and tents have little bearing on us as we'll never go to those parking lots anyhow.

When I was in Tucson Arizona at my family's, I seen mostly Pop Ups, Tent Trailers, and tents in their dispersed camping areas. I rarely seen anything with hard sides and that was in the desert and the mountains.

Happy RVin'
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet. Trucks and Trailers.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91 View Post
Coleman hasn't made pop ups for over 20 years. Dutchmen, a division of Thor, has been using the name under license to make travel trailers but not sure if they still are.

Fleetwood bought the license previously and made some really bad pop ups with roof defects. Fleetwood went out of business, then FTC bought the license to use the Coleman name but they went out of business shortly after. Somerset, a division of Aliner, bought the right to their camper designs but not a license to use their name, and Somerset was a flop currently only offering 2 models to very very limited dealers. They're next to impossible to buy or even see. So Coleman has been dead for many years.

The only Pop Ups (not tent trailer) makers were Palimino (Forest River bought then killed off), Coachmen Clipper/Viking (Forest River bought and currently selling), Rockwood/Flagstaff (Forest River bought decades ago and currently selling), and Jayco (which Thor just killed off and unlikely to ever bring back again due to their history).

Makers now sell little, coffin like travel trailers with beds long enough for large children/short adults, and ceiling heights for the same. I personally would rather be in a smaller Pop Up that's more open.

The smallest trailer I'd feel comfortable in was my 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH and it's closed in, small double bed was trying, bringing on claustrophobia in all that slept there (same with my 26BH kid's corner double bunk). Reason was it's mostly boxed in bed which was boxed on all sides and top (with upper single bunk) and small opening at the corner.

I'd rather have a Pop Up than a small travel trailer for so many reasons.

Im gonna have to correct you on a few things about Coleman/Fleetwood. I have worked at the plant from 1997 till 2008. The Coleman/Fleetwood pop up was built exclusively in Somerset Pa up until around 2011 or 12 when the plant went out of business. The Somerset plant started building Coleman pop ups around 1967 or 68 up until Fleetwood Enterprise bought the rights and the building in 1987. After that they were Coleman by Fleetwood up until around 2002 or 2003 when Coleman sued Fleetwood for copyright violations. They where putting the Coleman name on a little rug that you put out at the bottom of the steps. Very minor but they won! So Fleetwood lost the Coleman name for a few years then around May of 2008 a company called Blackstreet Capital bought out Fleetwood. In August 2008 we got the Coleman name back. But I believe it was a little to late ! They closed the doors in January of 2011. It was a sad day when i got laid off in 2008 because i looked back at when i got hired back in 1997 they employed over 700 people and were running the production line 2 shifts! I remember going to production meeting seeing the numbers and the numbers were for every 100 pop up campers sold world wide 45-50% of them where a Coleman by Fleetwood.
Keithfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #29

Here is a link i found that tells about the Coleman Pop Up Camper .

https://sites.google.com/site/campin...ut-of-business
Old 03-22-2019, 02:25 AM   #30

Like others, we graduated from tent camping to a 12' Star craft which we loved. Plenty of sleeping space for kids to bring friends. It said "Sleeps 8" and it really could. Now working on RV#5 and retired, our 5th Wheel can only sleep 2.

Now the kids are grown, on their own and making their own camping memories, we will always be grateful for the family camping memories in the pop up back then.

btw... the StarCraft pop-up held it value better than any of our RV's to follow.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:58 AM   #31

I to now have a TT but we also had some of our best memories with our kids in our Jayco popup.

They have there place. Don't understand why the first post hates them.
pojp58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:38 AM   #32
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
We sold our Starcraft Nova about 4 1/2 years ago now. My son and daughter (whom still tent-camp) now wish we had never sold it. Even tho it was 27 years old when we sold it, it was in like new condition with no canvas issues as I had always kept it covered, under covered parking or garaged. First person bought it at my asking price.

Pop ups make a great first camper for many young families, and for us, it was great all around camper. Now in our 60’s, it was time for a real toilet at midnight....lol!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:42 AM   #33

I remember camping as a kid with my family in a borrowed popup in the mountains of western NC... Mom didn't care for it & told Dad from then on her idea of camping was going to be Holiday Inn.

As I grew older, I camped in tents until 1999 when my wife & I bought a new Coleman popup... a Sun Valley with AC! Loved that thing! Great warm / hot weather camper... we camped in 99 degree weather in Galveston Texas and it was cool enough inside to be comfortable. It was harder to keep warm in really cold weather, but as long as it stayed above freezing we were OK.

Popups were and are (in my opinion) a great transition from tent camping to RVing. It's still a tent but it's up off the ground, which I appreciated greatly as I got older.

We've moved on to a travel trailer now, but that popup remains in my memory with great fondness. I wouldn't mind having one again for those shorter weekend trips.
1999 Chevy Silverado 2500
campkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:49 AM   #34

I think hybrids are the next best thing to popups...

I used to own one of these LivinLite popup campers...
all aluminum construction... bought out by Thor about 5 years ago...

https://www.livinlite.com/products/tent-campers.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ll.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	199346  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:16 AM   #35

Talking Loving pop ups

First camper was a '99 Jayco 10UD, and the quality was great. Had good times in that camper. Then moved to Jayco and then Starcraft TT's, both 30 footers, and enjoyed the extra room but not the closed in feeling. Went back to popups, and looked at both Viking and Rockwood. The Rockwood was much better in quality and features, so Rockwood it was. Now have a '19 1940LTD, and am very happy with the purchase. Kids are grown and gone, and this popup is just right for the wife and I to enjoy the outdoors in.
Deacon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #36

Agree with the “closed in” feel of a travel trailer as opposed to our old pop-up. My wife really misses the wrap-around windows and the lovely evening breeze.
SmartAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:15 PM   #37

Tent trailer life over a decade

Bought my first tent trailer, it was a used Starcraft Meteorite. It was a cool little rig with one big slide-out bed and a U shaped dining table. I camped in that little trailer a whole bunch.

As a single male whole has his buddies need a bunk every now and again I bought a newer/bigger tent trailer. The Starcraft was just to cramped with the dining table also as a bed. My requirements was up off the ground, out of the wind, a bed, stove, and heater. The replacement Fleetwood Colonial CP (Coleman SantaFe, I believe) has the second slide out for guests and still keeps the dining table usable. Lots of more elbow room. The Fleetwood added a cassette toilet!

I love the towing ease of a tent trailer. It stores/parks in the space of a car. You don't see a bunch of them up in the Pacific Northwest used but in the few months of summer we get up here. I tend to use mine from March to October. Sometimes she stays open when I get home until she dries out so I can put it down. Sellers think their trailers are made of gold up here and I have to look at a bunch of beat up tent trailers before I finding one with its price is realistic. I hope they are still around the ones people are buying new are the used ones I will be buying in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer-Taneum.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	199802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer-truck-Odessa.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	199803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer-truck-Home.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	199804   Click image for larger version

Name:	TrailerUp-truck-Home.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	199805  
RhinofromWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:57 PM   #38

We bought our 12 ft jayco pop up brand new in 1996 for $1800. Queen and full beds and convertible dinette. Plenty of lower cabinets AND drawers, and flip kitchen to dinette (not like the ones that take up all of your floor space) so we could put totes in and still be able to walk. Never cooked inside, always took the stove outside and put the counter top filler in . Raised 4 kids with that thing and NOW taking our grand kids!!! No tears in the canvas No plumbing issues Never caulked anything and shes still going!! We recently bought a toy hauler but take the jay bird every chance we get!! Love the high quality and workmanship of this product and the pride that was put into it !! My kids are arguing now about whos getting it for their kids !! Thanx jayco for a wonderful product..
Marge221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marge221 View Post
We bought our 12 ft jayco pop up brand new in 1996 for $1800. Queen and full beds and convertible dinette. Plenty of lower cabinets AND drawers, and flip kitchen to dinette (not like the ones that take up all of your floor space) so we could put totes in and still be able to walk. Never cooked inside, always took the stove outside and put the counter top filler in . Raised 4 kids with that thing and NOW taking our grand kids!!! No tears in the canvas No plumbing issues Never caulked anything and she’s still going!! We recently bought a toy hauler but take the jay bird every chance we get!! Love the high quality and workmanship of this product and the pride that was put into it !! My kids are arguing now about who’s getting it for their kids !! Thanx jayco for a wonderful product..
Wow, brand new for $1800. What a deal, who did you buy it from. People I know we're paying ~$10K for their 12' box pop ups at that same time. Great deal!
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet. Trucks and Trailers.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:13 AM   #40

last of the popups

I hope not. Our family of three love our Rockwood 1940 ltd! We love camping for many of the reasons Mike91 cited. Of course we can use ours pretty much year round and we enjoy our state parks and the space is enough. Sometimes feel "dwarfed" by other rigs in camp, but I never stop feeling like a king! Sometimes simple is best- easy to store, trailer, and setup is fine once you get the routine down. Definitely many items can be improved- fridge, stove, awning...this year the mattress toppers have definitely improved sleep quality!
If and when we morph, figure a hybrid is the most appealing to us.

2004 GMC Sierra 4x4
Ringbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, pop up