Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #1

Mold and Mildew 2020

I started this thread again because I tried to reply to older threads, but that is not possible.

I've tried Oxy Clean, Dawn dish washing liquid, vinegar and water, as well as a little Clorox bleach spray. I'm not having any luck.

Rsdata
I've haven't tried Mold Armor from Home Depot because it says to use on "hard surfaces only". Since the bunk ends are canvas, I got a little scared.

Has anyone seriously removed all the mold and mildew?

Attached are a couple of problem areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bunk.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	223909   Click image for larger version

Name:	dinette.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	223910  

11 Nights in California so far.

LilHorse&buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #2

Bleach in a spray bottle, diluted 60 water 40 bleach, soak the whole area till dripping. Put in direct sunlight or use a fan to blow air on it. That will kill all the mold the stain might still be there but the mold will be dead.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:04 PM   #3

Be brave!

Mold Armor in the bright green bottle at Home Depot or amazon... canvas, vinyl, awning, gelcoat on the camper... black mold disappears within 2 minutes... wipe dry with a rag, or do it on a warm sunny days... the thread on the vinyl gets black quickly... spray it and it gets white again

works like magic... just used it again on recent trip to FL... only about $5 for a bottle... I leave one in the camper at all times... and use it constantly everywhere

My OH valley home is humid and mold seems to grow on everything. THe camper is usually parked from Aug to January. When I open it again in FL I need to clean everything... Mold Armor is first thing I use. I also like Awesome from Dollar Store for counters and toilet.

did you see this thread?

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ot-134959.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:10 PM   #4

@rsdata

Yes, thank you. I saw that original post, which is why I bought a bottle. But then I read directions and it scared me. It says to use on hard, non-porous surfaces. I didn't want ruin the canvas.

I wanted to get rid of the staining also, along with killing the mold/mildew.

I think you have another post that talks about adding something to the canvas after it's cleaned, so it will still be waterproof.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ma.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	223921   Click image for larger version

Name:	directions.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	223922  

Old 02-24-2020, 08:34 PM   #5

Let us make sure we are on the same page...

my tent is not all 100% vinyl, only the top, and front panel are. The two zip closed side panels are cloth canvas. It does not matter as I use the mold armor on both, inside and out as necessary. When camping in cooler weather often perspiration moisture will condense on the inside, and will then cause some mold issues on the inside if the next day becomes warm and humid weather if you do not dry the interior vinyl. Wiping with a rag damp with Mold armor makes quick work.

It is counter-intuitive to leave the vinyl end unzipped a bit and a ceiling vent open when it is cold, but this will keep moisture condensation on the inside tent end to a minimum. The electric bunk heater in the mattress is a blessing at this time.

The side canvas needs to be re-water proofed after cleaning. I use any kind of water proofing that I can find. When in an all-day, all-night rain, bed clothes can wick water through the canvas ( not the vinyl) and make your bed wet. that usually happens to me on my feet end, as I roll and kick the covers at night and I am a little over 6 feet tall. I re-apply the water-proofing ( actually most are just water-resistant that I have found) at least twice per year, both inside and out.

I then treat the vinyl with 303 UV protectant for obvious reasons.

PS Mold Armor will bleach and spot T-shirts, jeans, etc. and your mattress so use accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	303 fab guard.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	223926  
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:14 AM   #6

Iosso.com they make a line of rv cleaners including mold stain remover I have used the water proofer and stain remover both work very well. They were recommended by Forest River when I contacted them
jwh4984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:08 PM   #7

Talking Getting Rid of Mold and Mildew

Florida is known for mold and mildew especially during the summer. A great product is called "Marine 31" you can find it on line. My boat sat on my lift although its covered the rain gets in when winds are high. It's those horizontal gusts that bring in rain water and add high temperatures and humidity. It sat like that for 5 months. I was advised to use "Marine 31 by a local marina on fiberglass and vinyl seats. it work better than the bleach and everything else I tried. Using it wasn't hard at all, spray and brush some tough spots I had to do twice.
Ed Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:22 PM   #8

Try Mr Clean Dry Eraser - it works like magic on anything. We use it on our Awning all the time to remove mold/mildew.
2017 F150 V6 3.5L Ecoboost Supercrew Short Bed

Franklins Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:30 PM   #9

Did you try hydrogen peroxide
Hanesstetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:15 AM   #10

Hydrogen peroxide...huh..worth a try.

Old 02-27-2020, 04:31 AM   #11

If you try hydrogen peroxide, let it sit for a bit before you wipe it off. It might be best to test it on a small corner because it might discolor the fabric. I've used it to kill mold, but not on canvas.

Another mold killer is KrudKutter. Stuff is strong enough to remove paint, but cleans pretty well. Non toxic too.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:41 AM   #12

Our popup is much like RSDATA's. The only canvas on our popup is 4 side windows. Last year was an extremely wet camping season for us and we ended up getting some mildew/mold on our canvas windows. We tried IOSSOs and a few other mild products with no results. We've had very good luck with Miracle Mist though, it removed 99.99% of the markings. One important thing to remember is to wipe it as clean as you can get it to remove the chemicals after. Once that's complete DO NOT FORGET to re-waterproof the canvas. We also used 303 Fabric Guard to waterproof.

tcbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklins Mom View Post
Try Mr Clean Dry Eraser - it works like magic on anything. We use it on our Awning all the time to remove mold/mildew.
The problem with magic erasers is that it is a sandpaper so you will be roughing up whatever surface you use it on. They work great but you are just wet sanding whatever surface it’s on.
Just a FYI!
Destination-nation is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold