Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2020, 08:20 PM   #1

Moving Battery on Flagstaff Popup

I would like to install another propane tank on the tongue of my Flagstaff, but my battery sits next to it on the right. I was thinking of buying a bolt on battery box and moving it to the right on the frame so there would be room for another tank.

Is this a bad idea? Would it unbalance the popup and make it drive badly? I wanted to find out some possible problems before I decided to do this.
cl00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #2

Hello, On my first pop up I changed the 20 Tank for a 30lb. I’m not sure if you have room for the change in height but it’s an option. Good luck
MohicanJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #3
Bob414

A FYI, most swap out propane services only fill to 15 lb of propane. If you have a "good" tank, it can be filled to 20 lbs at a refill station. Plus they can "Topped Off" a tank, no need to carry a half full tank to start.
Note: A propane tanks require certification, which has a expiration date (normally 12 years and stamped on the tank collar), after that date it should not be fully filled and some refill station may reject it. But it can be recertified.
Also, refilling stations price of 20 lbs of propane, is normally less expensive that a swapping out service and you get 33% more propane.
Some refill stations charge by the gallon, not the lb. (one gallon = 4.2lbs of propane)

Bob
Retired Electrical Engineer
Bob414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:49 PM   #4

A full 20# tank weighs about 35# (20# propane, 15# tank). I doubt this is going to change your towing unless you are already at the margins.

On our FR A-frames (kissing cousins of pop-ups), Flagstaff/Rockwood install 2 propane tanks from the get-go. We have gone with 2 GC-2 batteries mounted in a box behind the propane tanks to get 4 nights dry camping in 30-40 degree night temps before the batteries get too low. One propane tank lasts me over a year of camping, so I need 2 batteries more than 2 propane tanks - though we have 2 of each.

Because we tow with a minivan, I use an E2 WDH to prevent the rear end from squatting, take away any sway, and make the minivan ride like normal.

just our experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob414 View Post
A FYI, most swap out propane services only fill to 15 lb of propane. If you have a "good" tank, it can be filled to 20 lbs at a refill station. Plus they can "Topped Off" a tank, no need to carry a half full tank to start.
Note: A propane tanks require certification, which has a expiration date (normally 12 years and stamped on the tank collar), after that date it should not be fully filled and some refill station may reject it. But it can be recertified.
Also, refilling stations price of 20 lbs of propane, is normally less expensive that a swapping out service and you get 33% more propane.
Some refill stations charge by the gallon, not the lb. (one gallon = 4.2lbs of propane)

Bob
My 30# tanks say re-certification every 10yrs. Tanks older than the date stamped on the collar shall not be refilled until re-certified and the new date needs to be stamped into the collar. If there is any rust around the valve neck, any weld or the paint bubbled with rust underneath it will not pass. Because of the conditions above I wanted my 7yo 30# tank inspected and re-certified. They told me the only option was to replace. Yes, the tank is under a hard plastic cover and the other tank is fine.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:28 PM   #6

Another option to a second propane tank

Buy a 1 gallon tank for a spare. Switch to it when you refill your 20# tank. You will save a ton of weight and still have the same capability.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
I would like to install another propane tank on the tongue of my Flagstaff, but my battery sits next to it on the right. I was thinking of buying a bolt on battery box and moving it to the right on the frame so there would be room for another tank.

Is this a bad idea? Would it unbalance the popup and make it drive badly? I wanted to find out some possible problems before I decided to do this.

On the 228, we have two 20 pound lpg tanks mounted to the frame. In front of that, a single battery in a box is mounted to the top of the roof's winch box. The only down side is the manual crank access hole is covered. Luckily I found that out while in the driveway.
akingbfd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, flagstaff