Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2014, 04:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringbill View Post
Congratulations! I know my family and I thoroughly enjoyed our new (2012) Rockwood 1940ltd this past summer here in Florida. It was hot but the AC made it more than bearable. Actually, the heat I guess made campers scarce but it was grand hiking in the different habitats. Do many of you northern campers venture south, thereby extending your camping season? I was impressed by the state parks we visited, and my daughter learned camping etiquette and a lot about the environment including a prescribed burning in one park. All the best!
I go down to Florida every year when I can't stand the cold anymore. It sometimes pretty tuff to find a spot being the snowbirds. Some people like OC have bought into a CG and go's every year for 3 or 4 mos. So yes there are many who go south for the winters...... I'm glad that you are with your family.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #22

Congrats. We purchased the same model back in April and love it. We've gotten to use it a bunch this summer and have a few fall trips planned as well. We use sway control but no wdh to pull with our 2000 ford escape. Travels great through the hills here in pa. FYI. We have found state parks to be a great place to go both for price and activities. Good luck! If you have any model specific questions if be glad to help if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2010 Ford Escape
loumichelle735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
Yes thank you fred. Btw where did u get ur wdh I find it but in michigan they want 600 + for it.
I got it at the dealer I bought the A122 from. I deliberately selected a dealer based somewhat on price, but also on a package deal including prepping my Hyundai Entourage minivan. Having burned up a transmission in a Ford Windstar towing a U-Haul, and having had the sway issues above 60MPH with the Ford Explorer, I am/was paranoid, especially given the lack of towing information available from Hyundai.

I budgeted in a transmission cooler, installed, for $250. When the mechanic saw the existing transmission cooler, he said you just don't need it. The factory cooler was twice the size of what he was going to add.

The dealer said let's start without WDH and anti-sway, since the tongue weight was advertised at 213 lbs empty.

When the work was completed, I test drove the rig around the dealer lot. I was very unhappy with the "bounce" of both the Entourage and the camper. Dealer suggested the Equal-i-zer 600/6000. I agreed and the mechanic installed and set up the hitch. The LP tank frame had to be raised a couple of inches to make room for the brackets for the WDH bars. For whatever reason - possibly keeping me all day for the delivery - the dealer asked me to add $100 cash to the deal, instead of subtracting out the $250 for the transmission cooler. I thought that was a pretty good deal, getting the WDH installed for $350.

Drove home, hit 75 MPH where legal on the interstate - no sway, no bounce, minivan rode pretty close to normal. A very happy camper.

Fred W
2008 Hyundai Entourage
2014 Rockwood A122
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:31 PM   #24

Congrats and enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2015 Rockwood HW296
2014 Silverado 1500 LTZ
W4NT3D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper