RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #1

n00b question - What is this thing?

Earlier this week we bought a new Flagstaff 28TSCSE. Going through all of the manuals and stuff the dealer gave us, I found this little orange plastic stick. No idea what it is, or what it's for. It's only about 8-9" long, and each end is hex-shaped.

Any ideas? I'm pretty new to this trailer thing - been borrowing a popup for years, but this is the first one I've actually owned, so some things are still new to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5663.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	136362  
JBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #2

A free tool courtesy of Forest River.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #3

Looks like a nonmetallic adjustment tool for electronics to me
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the info folks. I guess I'll just hang on to it and throw it in the trailer somewhere. Seems like one of those things that I'll have no idea why I'm keeping around, but the day after I throw it out… that's when I'll need it.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBronco View Post
Thanks for the info folks. I guess I'll just hang on to it and throw it in the trailer somewhere. Seems like one of those things that I'll have no idea why I'm keeping around, but the day after I throw it outů that's when I'll need it.
I have no idea what it is for, but your right.
The day you throw it out, the next day you will find what it is for the hard way. LOL
If I could only get my wife to understand the above when it comes to all the stuff I have in my shop and we take with us in the trailer.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #6

It is the tool to set limit switches on your power winch.

2nd use is: It can be used to swirl your favorite adult beverage.
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBar View Post
It is the tool to set limit switches on your power winch.

2nd use is: It can be used to swirl your favorite adult beverage.
Good to know - I'll have to check that out. We setup the trailer the other day, and it didn't quite raise high enough, so I may get to use this tool sooner rather than later.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:49 AM   #8

That, my friend, is a MacBook Pro. It can be used for all sorts of things, from email to surfing the web. They call it the "cloud" now a days.

So remove that orange stick from on top of it and get to it!

yourguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #9

Observations about the limit switch that goes with that tool. I suspect your winch has the same limit switch as mine. This is boilerplate I use often:

The winch lift for the camper seems to be trouble-prone. There are two key weaknesses:
1) The relays that supply power to the motor do not seem to be outdoor relays, but they are exposed to lots of dirt and moisture. Replacement relays are readily available. I used silicone to seal the relay cases of my replacements. I don't know if that will improve their life or not, but the cases were not sealed, and both relays failed at the end of last season.
2. All use limit switches to stop the motor at max height and minimum height. (You can, of course, just pay attention, but the limit switch accommodates the inattentive.) Some limit switches are simple. But mine was a bizarrely complex mechanism that only a mad scientist could invent. I spent 22 years in commercial broadcast TV, and all satellite dishes, microwave dishes, and so on have limit switches, but NOTHING like this. My limit switch is depicted in part #2 in this diagram. https://www.tesstools.net/P92001_Pop...rts_s/2463.htm Mine is an orange cylinder, about the diameter of a banana and 6" long. It had an outer plastic gear that engaged with the main, steel lift gear. The plastic gear failed, AND the "key" and "keyway" that allowed the gear to engage the drive drum sheared off, too.
Since I do pay attention when I raise and lower the camper, and since the electric switches in the limit switch are "normally closed" (always on unless a small plunger is depressed), I disabled the limit switch. A straight piece of wire would be the same. I think it is a poor design, and, at $38 a pop to prevent stupidity, I'd no more replace it than shoot myself in the foot. In the harsh environment on the A-frame of a trailer, it's exposed to dust, dirt, pebbles, water and anything else that sprays up off your tow vehicle tires. I disassembled the device, made sure the numerous gears, shafts and so on were "neutralized" so they would not interfere with the winch operation, used a VOM meter to verify "continuity" through the switch - a continuous circuit - and put it back. I'll buy a new one for installation when I sell the camper one day.
3) The manual override works great so long as you have a good cordless drill (and perhaps a spare battery) to drive it. Hand cranking would take forever. It's easy, but way too slow. Lifting the camper roof with the hand crank might take an hour!! A cordless drill will raise or lower the roof about half as fast as the winch motor. All you need is one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-57363...er+jack+socket And you can use your drill and this socket to raise and retract the stabilizer jacks, too.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #10

Tool to set winch limits I heard.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #11
Life-Long Camper/Boater

I thought for sure it was a thing-a-ma-bober-on-the-end-of-a-stick
Paul and Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote