Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2016, 10:17 PM   #1

Need help fixing roof lift system of popup

I really messed up today. I have a HW27sc popup that I was setting up. I unlatched 3 of the 4 latches for the roof (forgot the last one) and started the winch. Of course I realized quickly what had happened, but too late. Now the front left of the roof where it was still latched is about 1-1.5 inches shorter when completely raised than the other 3 sides. Of course the door will not fit. I would go to a dealer for service, but am supposed to go on trip this weekend. Is this something I can fix with an adjustment? or have I broken a spring? Or do I have to go to a service center? I am pretty good at fixing things, but have no info on the lift system. Can anyone help? Thanks!
ts24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:19 PM   #2

Crank it all back down then back up again and see what happens.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:57 AM   #3

Roof help

Allready did that. I even wedged the low corner up and lowered the other 3 so they were even. Then raised all the way to no effect. I just realized that when the roof is completely lowered the low corner sits too low for the latch to engage. Maybe the winch pushed that post through a stop on that corner. Else why does it sit do low?
Old 10-13-2016, 07:16 AM   #4

Sounds like you bent the spring. Not hard to fix, a few hours at the most; however, the parts might take a few days. Just call Goshen to order. Might find them locally if you have a large dealer that does a lot of popup business.

They are sold as pairs for the front or rear.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:29 AM   #5

Are there any illustrations or instructions on the web to show how to check the springs and replace them?
Old 10-13-2016, 07:53 AM   #6

Check out popupportal.com
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:59 AM   #7
Site Team

Here's the website for Goshen Stamping which should have everything you need.

And Here's a thread with instructions that may help.

There are also instructions on there about how to adjust them.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:50 AM   #8

Ok, read entire thread and found PDF on replacing springs. Very good. Thanks!

My question now ... if the one corner is only 2 inches lower than the other 3 corners, do I really need to replace the whole spring? Is there some way to adjust 2 inches for one corner? I see how to adjust front versus back, but this is different. The cables are not broken and the roof still lifts.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:16 AM   #9
Site Team

I can't see any way to adjust just one spring.

I'm thinking that you bent something, and if you're lucky it's a bracket that can either be replaced or straightened.

I'd check everything over real well to see if it's just a bracket. Compare that corner to the other corners.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:47 PM   #10

You could have a bent conduit at that corner; but the spring will most likely bend before the conduit bends. Worth checking out.

The springs are spot welded together where they are installed in the main track (aka wiffletree) so there is no adjustment for them. They both need to move at the same time to keep the roof level as it rises.

As for replacement, there are some here that have pulled them out to replace a cable (I for one). To replace a cable you have to pull out the rear springs, to replace the front springs is just another 15 minutes or so.

It is not hard, it is very greasy (or should be if the tracks have been greased as required).

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:51 PM   #11

Thanks

Ok, here is what happened. I tried calling RV service departments, but, they said I would have to leave the camper and there goes our trip. I read all your suggestions and especially the thread with instructions. Then I called Goshen Stamping who makes the lift system. Claudia answered and I asked if there was someone there who could help me. She said "Well let's start with me." . So I explained the stupid thing I did and she proceeded to tell me exactly how to take out the spring and see if it was kinked or broken and what else to look for. So I crawled under the camper and immediately saw that the bracket (as was suggested here) was ripped off and the casing was only held in place by a cross bracket. I called Claudia back and she told me I either had to get someone to weld the bracket or buy the casing and spring system which comes as a unit. I don't know any welders so I ordered the parts. But they would take a week so again there goes our trip. Then I thought I would see if maybe I could find a welder. I called around but this is a very small job and the ones who would do it at all were busy and way across town. So I asked the guy in the office where I park my camper if he knew any welders. He said body shops usually have welders and there was a small one across the street. So I walked across the street and the manager said he was also a camper and thought they could weld it. I took pictures of the other bracket and they did a great job and didn't even want any money (I gave them some anyway). I put it all back together and it works perfect! I thanked the body shop manager, the guy in the office, Claudia at Goshen Stamping, and now you in the forum.

I learned several things in the process:

1) When you start to do something finish it. Don't unhook 3 latches and stop to do something else because you will forget the last latch and the 30 seconds you saved will cost you an entire day and almost a camping trip.

2) Ask people for help because there are a lot of people with knowledge who are very nice and will give their time to help you.

3) Never assume the nice lady who answers the phone is just a receptionist because she may just be the smartest most knowledgeable person in the company.

4) Try to fix something yourself because you just might do it and learn something in the process.

So thanks again for all the help and if you need to fix your Goshen lift system talk to Claudia.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:15 PM   #12
Site Team

Thanks for coming back and letting us know that you got it fixed and how you went about it.

I'm glad it was just a bracket and you didn't have to replace the spring, and that you found someone local to repair it for you.

Can you post a picture or two of the good and broken brackets?
Old 10-13-2016, 04:42 PM   #13

This is the good bracket, casing and spring with the broken casing removed that I took for the welder. I will take a picture of the fixed one tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1476394782.014694.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	122890
Old 10-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #14
Newly Retired

I had a pop up years ago and had some 2x2 sticks cut that held up a low corner, in a pinch. One person lifts by hand and another places the stick.
That trick might buy you some time so you can go camping this weekend.
Good luck
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #15

If you check the instructions from Goshen you can see that you can adjust the cables that push up the springs. It only takes a couple turns on the nut to adjust. You only stretched a spring when you cranked it up against the single spring. Easy fix. Read the directions again .
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:15 PM   #16

Glad you got it fixed. Bet you won't forget to check latches again.
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:56 AM   #17

Congrats on your persistence !!
Mark2cars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift, roo, roof