Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 07:38 AM   #1

Need help-Lift Guide Wire Length

Hi, I just purchased a 2018 Rockwood 2280BHESP. I looked at couple of videos on opening the pop-up and they would refer to look at a cable on one of the lift supports to know when to stop. My unit does not have this wire. Could someone please tell me how long it should be? Also if you have some pictures of were it goes it would be great. I wold like to make one and install it. This is a picture of the cable that I am asking about that I saw on YouTube. Thank You

rap62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:13 AM   #2

My Coleman PUP had the same wire - but a manual winch. I think I busted the wire once cranking it up too hard. In any case, I would find the length for the wire by lifting the roof to the point where the door just fits correctly when you install it. That would probably be more accurate for your camper than anybody else's measurement.

I do hope others will chime in with their measurements to give a starting point.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:28 PM   #3

They are color coded. My 2516g uses the red one. I had to replace it once. Call rockwood and they’ll tell you what color cable to buy. 2 screws to replace it.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rap62 View Post
Hi, I just purchased a 2018 Rockwood 2280BHESP. I looked at couple of videos on opening the pop-up and they would refer to look at a cable on one of the lift supports to know when to stop. My unit does not have this wire. Could someone please tell me how long it should be? Also if you have some pictures of were it goes it would be great. I wold like to make one and install it. This is a picture of the cable that I am asking about that I saw on YouTube. Thank You

I have the 2020 and it has a green guidewire in the driver side front corner. When we did our walk through they had to adjust the length to get it taunt. First time we camped the electric winch stopped before it got tight. I called the dealer and was told not to worry about it(???). I think the advice about using your door as the guide is about as reliable as the guidewire in my limited experience.
Bralbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
My Coleman PUP had the same wire - but a manual winch. I think I busted the wire once cranking it up too hard. In any case, I would find the length for the wire by lifting the roof to the point where the door just fits correctly when you install it. That would probably be more accurate for your camper than anybody else's measurement.

I do hope others will chime in with their measurements to give a starting point.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Use this method to determine the length. When installed correctly it will be visually snug, not tight. If too much tension it will pull the screws out.

Locate it where you can see it while cranking/lifting the roof.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
Use this method to determine the length. When installed correctly it will be visually snug, not tight. If too much tension it will pull the screws out.

Locate it where you can see it while cranking/lifting the roof.
Yes locate it where you can see it getting tighter as you crank it up. Mine is on the rt side front corner. But either front corner should do. I did pull mine out one time, but just used a little bigger screw back into the same hole.

Tags
lift