Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2018, 01:16 PM   #1

new 2019 highwalls

Has anyone seen the new 2019 highwall models? It appears the travel door is hinged down with the steps incorporated into the door. It looks like a disaster waiting to happen... . The decals are gone and replaced with a solid black bar with a green stripe in it. Pretty ugly. So glad I pulled the trigger on the 2018 model. On the plus side, they upgraded the the wifi ranger to a sky4 version with dual antenna's and an option for cellular.
Any thoughts?
dtptrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #2

Learned a lot buying an A-frame (pop-ups are done the same by Forest River) from Robert's RV in Denver:

Forest River makes minimal changes in the early model year. Our 2019 (delivered June 2018) A-frame is an early 2019 Flagstaff. The VIN is a 2019 VIN, but the colors and paint scheme are the same as 2018. The interior colors and external paint scheme change in about August - September deliveries had the 2019 interior colors and external paint scheme. Rockwood and Flagstaff make identical PUPs and A-frames except for interior colors and exterior paint. The Coachmen (also Forest River) PUPs and A-frames have a more limited selection of models (very few if any high wall models), and have a different front storage trunk arrangement.

We thought the 2019 interior colors and paint for both Rockwood and Flagstaff were a lot worse than 2018, and so took a beat-up (lots of factory nicks and defects on the interior paneling) early 2019 Flagstaff that Roberts had on their lot. Roberts did a great job of fixing all the defects before we took delivery (they are hard to see now), and reduced the standard discount price by $600 for us taking a less-than-perfect unit.

Each model year (not the early summer run), Forest River makes some changes and attempts to fix known problem areas. In the A-frame, the electric lift system on the high walls was a known frequent failure item. In 2018, a stronger lift motor was substituted, and a quick disconnect was added to the lift motor wiring. Also, the external sink drain was changed to a standard garden hose fitting instead of the 1.5" drain used previously. I don't know if this had always been true, but the high wall A-frames now come standard with 14" instead of 13" wheels/tires. Still Castle Rock tires, but appreciate the improved ground clearance and extra reserve capacity on the tires.

I haven't looked at the Sky Ranger - mine sits in the box at home. We don't use Wi-Fi when camping as a general rule.

Due to volume of A-frames and PUPs Roberts sells (and rents), Roberts is able to get Flagstaff to substitute a quality manual tongue jack instead of the troublesome electric tongue jack at the factory.

just our experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #3

I seen this as well. Not sure which is better but I can see some negatives to this new step door.

BTW, it's on all the premier models not just the High Walls. I bought mine right before the change over, probably by weeks.

First it occupies the space in front of the door now that I use to store my cord and grill.

Second, looks like a water trap that will spill into the camper when closing the door after a good rain.

Third, now you have legs on the door that must be adjusted correctly to the ground to keep the door from twisting. Just another thing that now has to be set up.

The one and only positive is that you now don't have to remove the travel door and hang it under the bunk.
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote