Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #1

New 228d

In our owners manual it states we must seal all the seams with wax???? Has anyone else done this and if so how and why? Seems like a bad idea or bad design?

thanks
motcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #2

We looked into this as well. It took awhile to research on line and in the manual. I thought the wax was a bad and messy idea too.

We used a spray bottle of water and soaked all the seams in a controlled manner ( instead of blasting it with a garden hose ). This will swell the stitching and seal the seams.

Let it dry completely before closing up the camper.

We have camped in poring rain more than once and so far no leaks. I also have a tube of seam sealer ( bought at the RV parts store ) incase something leaks and needs an emergency re-seal.

Happy camping
ittle dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #3

On my last P/U I used a silicone sealer and applied it with a small brush to the seams. Let dry completly and never had any leaks. Water to swell up the stiching is another good idea.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #4

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
On my last P/U I used a silicone sealer and applied it with a small brush to the seams. Let dry completly and never had any leaks. Water to swell up the stiching is another good idea.
This is common with all tent material because the sewing seams leak. There is tent seam sealer out there which is basically bees-wax that gets rubbed on. Without doing this you willl have very wet seams.
Berick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
228d