RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 45
New Beginner Question...

I know I am going to feel like an idiot, but..... I just bought my first pop up camper Tuesday and brought it home. I purchased a 2018 Forest River Flagstaff 228BHSE. Where are the overhead light switch to turn off the overhead lights? If I drop the sink they go off but if I am inside and the sink is up they remain on? I can't find any light switch to turn the inside lights off?
morrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 12,211
Check on the individual light fixtures.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Camping_Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
I don't have an answer, but just wanted to say Congrats from another newbie. Jealous that you were able to bring it home so quickly! My dealer had to schedule delivery 3 weeks out, saying there were over 200 folks ahead of me.

Can't wait to see what kind of idiot questions I come up with when I get my baby!
__________________
Colleen

2017 Rockwood Freedom 1910ESP
2004 Kia Sorento
Camping_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 25,074
Can you post a pic of the light fixture? There are many types of lights. There may be a switch on the side of the fixture, or between the lens if applicable. Could even be a tap type light where you push in on the lens to turn on/off.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 45
Y'all seriously saved me!!! There is a little round plastic button in the middle of the light fixtures. I would have never found that on my own.... nor the mound of paperwork given!!!!
morrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping_Maniac View Post
I don't have an answer, but just wanted to say Congrats from another newbie. Jealous that you were able to bring it home so quickly! My dealer had to schedule delivery 3 weeks out, saying there were over 200 folks ahead of me.



Can't wait to see what kind of idiot questions I come up with when I get my baby!


I bought my camper on sale at the lot, so that was the only reason I got it so soon. They only had 3 popup to choose from.
morrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 13,356
Glad you found it but shame, shame, shame on your dealer for not showing you probably the most basic, R/V 101 thing on your new 2018 camper.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=21
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 45
Also is there a written checklist on how to put a popup camper up and take down. We literally got a 5 minute tutorial. I am just looking for some guidance.
morrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 25,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrama View Post
. We literally got a 5 minute tutorial. I am just looking for some guidance.
It's a shame there's not a web forum or something of helpful fellow RV'ers who are willing to share their collective knowledge with others..... hey, wait a sec...

Joking aside, you've come to the right place to get your answers. Welcome aboard.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Briorick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrama View Post
Also is there a written checklist on how to put a popup camper up and take down. We literally got a 5 minute tutorial. I am just looking for some guidance.
"YOUTUBE" is a great starting place to look. Literally thousands of tutorials to view.

Here is a link for starters. Your popup may be different, but the setup is pretty much standard.
__________________
Rick & Brian
1 Happy Camper Pup ( Mya )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
2011 Ford Super Duty 250 XLT FX4 6.2L

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 25,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrama View Post
I bought my camper on sale at the lot, so that was the only reason I got it so soon. They only had 3 popup to choose from.
Amanda, I glanced at your profile which says Shreveport, AL. Is that accurate, or is it Shreveport, LA. If LA, did you get your Flagstaff at Bayou Outdoors by chance?
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Amanda, I glanced at your profile which says Shreveport, AL. Is that accurate, or is it Shreveport, LA. If LA, did you get your Flagstaff at Bayou Outdoors by chance?


Louisiana and yes Bayou Outdoors. They went over everything I thought but I am so new to this I guess I didn't know what questions to ask or stuff like that. My husband and I put the popup together, for the first time yeasterday at the house but we didn't work together so I think that was where the frustration came in and with all the excitement of our new toy I guess I forgot some questions I didn't even think about.
morrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:22 PM   #13
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 25,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrama View Post
Louisiana and yes Bayou Outdoors. They went over everything I thought but I am so new to this I guess I didn't know what questions to ask or stuff like that. My husband and I put the popup together, for the first time yeasterday at the house but we didn't work together so I think that was where the frustration came in and with all the excitement of our new toy I guess I forgot some questions I didn't even think about.
I purchased my Flagstaff at Bayou Outdoors also. I really liked them. I'm positive they will help if you have questions that require a hands on thing, that you can't get solved here on the forums.

Just ask away here on anything you don't understand or need assistance on.

If you have forum related questions or concerns, always feel free to contact me or any other member of your site team. You are double good there cause I'm only 90 miles east of you down I-20 and dcheatwood is south of you in Natchitoches.

I'm going to Private Message you some reading material that may help in your RV edumucation.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:31 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I purchased my Flagstaff at Bayou Outdoors also. I really liked them. I'm positive they will help if you have questions that require a hands on thing, that you can't get solved here on the forums.

Just ask away here on anything you don't understand or need assistance on.

If you have forum related questions or concerns, always feel free to contact me or any other member of your site team. You are double good there cause I'm only 90 miles east of you down I-20 and dcheatwood is south of you in Natchitoches.

I'm going to Private Message you some reading material that may help in your RV edumucation.


Oh thank you so much!!!!
morrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #15
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 25,074
I'll just post it all here, Amanda. Bayou Outdoors probably gave you a starter kit (they did me), so you should have some basic stuff.

I would advise driving over to harbor freight at 341 Bert Kouns and pick you up some solid rubber chocks. These things are way better than the plastic things. You want to chock those tires so the camper doesn't roll before you unhook from truck, EVERY time. If you watch the sales paper there, you can often get these for $5-6.

https://www.harborfreight.com/solid-...ock-96479.html

-----------------------------------------------------

The below is a copy and paste, and I usually recommend it to those just starting out. Some of it, you may already know, or may not be applicable to your particular RV. You will be able to filter out what pertains to your situation or not. I would suggest you read the electric threads and energy management first.

You can just peruse at your leisure:

Basic electric:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Electric

Your very important converter:

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Suburban water heater (if applicable to your RV):

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post327988

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1527599

Water Heater bypass/crossover valves:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

And the newest addition to help understand what constitutes a true full cylinder in refilling vs exchanging propane cylinders

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-133760.html


Hope this helps.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
ben31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Middle GA
Posts: 1,283
Welcome and congratulations! FYI, this forum is really good. There is also another forum just for popups. PopUpPortal You will find a LOT of PopUp specific information, there. Not trying to get rid of you, just giving you more information. Back when I had a PuP, that site helped me on MANY occasions!

When you're settled down and learn the basics, you might want to consider getting PopUp Gizmos PopupGizmos. They are reflective covers for your bed ends. It helps keep the ends cooler in the summer and warmer when it is cold out. They do make a BIG difference!
__________________
Ben and Doreen
Home Away From Home - 2017 PT Crusader 315RST
TV - 2008 F250 Lariat SuperCrew 4X4 6.4 Diesel
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
GalsofEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Catonsville Maryland
Posts: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrama View Post
Louisiana and yes Bayou Outdoors. They went over everything I thought but I am so new to this I guess I didn't know what questions to ask or stuff like that. My husband and I put the popup together, for the first time yeasterday at the house but we didn't work together so I think that was where the frustration came in and with all the excitement of our new toy I guess I forgot some questions I didn't even think about.
OMG that was so me 6 years ago when we purchased our hw277 popup. The dealer had a kid come out and show us the popup and how it worked. But it was a point show, pointed to the furnace and said " that is the furnace", pointed to the roof and said "that is the air conditioner", pointed to some packages and said "that is the shower curtains", etc. etc. etc.
We also did not know what we did not know - so we had no questions. our first outing was very interesting trying to figure everything out. But we did it and had a great time with it. We are now on our second camper, a hybrid. Had many more questions this time LOL.
__________________
HTT: "EscapeII" 2016 Shamrock 23WS (current)
PUP: "Escape" 2010 Rockwood HW 277 (gone)
TV: "Bruce" 2011 Dodge Durango V8 Hemi Crew
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:10 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
BuzzWolfAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrama View Post
Y'all seriously saved me!!! There is a little round plastic button in the middle of the light fixtures. I would have never found that on my own.... nor the mound of paperwork given!!!!
Always a learning curve. Took me 4 trip on my last trailer to get the TV to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrama View Post
I know I am going to feel like an idiot, but..... I just bought my first pop up camper Tuesday and brought it home. I purchased a 2018 Forest River Flagstaff 228BHSE. Where are the overhead light switch to turn off the overhead lights? If I drop the sink they go off but if I am inside and the sink is up they remain on? I can't find any light switch to turn the inside lights off?
__________________
Buzz & Jo Wolf
5er: 2018 Cedar Creek 29ik
TV: 2014 F350 Diesel

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 45
The switch from the water heater is on I just realized from the dealership. Should I turn the switch off and drain all the water that they put in our fresh water tank?
morrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
BuzzWolfAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas
Posts: 512
I would. I try not to carry water, since campgrounds I go to have water. Turning off the swing will prevent burning up your heating element.
__________________
Buzz & Jo Wolf
5er: 2018 Cedar Creek 29ik
TV: 2014 F350 Diesel

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 PM.