Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #1

New Beginner Question...

I know I am going to feel like an idiot, but..... I just bought my first pop up camper Tuesday and brought it home. I purchased a 2018 Forest River Flagstaff 228BHSE. Where are the overhead light switch to turn off the overhead lights? If I drop the sink they go off but if I am inside and the sink is up they remain on? I can't find any light switch to turn the inside lights off?
morrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Check on the individual light fixtures.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #3

I don't have an answer, but just wanted to say Congrats from another newbie. Jealous that you were able to bring it home so quickly! My dealer had to schedule delivery 3 weeks out, saying there were over 200 folks ahead of me.

Can't wait to see what kind of idiot questions I come up with when I get my baby!

2017 Rockwood Freedom 1910ESP
2004 Kia Sorento
Camping_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
Site Team

Can you post a pic of the light fixture? There are many types of lights. There may be a switch on the side of the fixture, or between the lens if applicable. Could even be a tap type light where you push in on the lens to turn on/off.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #5

Y'all seriously saved me!!! There is a little round plastic button in the middle of the light fixtures. I would have never found that on my own.... nor the mound of paperwork given!!!!
Old 08-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping_Maniac View Post
I don't have an answer, but just wanted to say Congrats from another newbie. Jealous that you were able to bring it home so quickly! My dealer had to schedule delivery 3 weeks out, saying there were over 200 folks ahead of me.

Can't wait to see what kind of idiot questions I come up with when I get my baby!

I bought my camper on sale at the lot, so that was the only reason I got it so soon. They only had 3 popup to choose from.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Glad you found it but shame, shame, shame on your dealer for not showing you probably the most basic, R/V 101 thing on your new 2018 camper.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:40 PM   #8

Also is there a written checklist on how to put a popup camper up and take down. We literally got a 5 minute tutorial. I am just looking for some guidance.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrama View Post
. We literally got a 5 minute tutorial. I am just looking for some guidance.
It's a shame there's not a web forum or something of helpful fellow RV'ers who are willing to share their collective knowledge with others..... hey, wait a sec...

Joking aside, you've come to the right place to get your answers. Welcome aboard.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Also is there a written checklist on how to put a popup camper up and take down. We literally got a 5 minute tutorial. I am just looking for some guidance.
"YOUTUBE" is a great starting place to look. Literally thousands of tutorials to view.

Here is a link for starters. Your popup may be different, but the setup is pretty much standard.
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
I bought my camper on sale at the lot, so that was the only reason I got it so soon. They only had 3 popup to choose from.
Amanda, I glanced at your profile which says Shreveport, AL. Is that accurate, or is it Shreveport, LA. If LA, did you get your Flagstaff at Bayou Outdoors by chance?

Old 08-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Amanda, I glanced at your profile which says Shreveport, AL. Is that accurate, or is it Shreveport, LA. If LA, did you get your Flagstaff at Bayou Outdoors by chance?

Louisiana and yes Bayou Outdoors. They went over everything I thought but I am so new to this I guess I didn't know what questions to ask or stuff like that. My husband and I put the popup together, for the first time yeasterday at the house but we didn't work together so I think that was where the frustration came in and with all the excitement of our new toy I guess I forgot some questions I didn't even think about.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:22 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Louisiana and yes Bayou Outdoors. They went over everything I thought but I am so new to this I guess I didn't know what questions to ask or stuff like that. My husband and I put the popup together, for the first time yeasterday at the house but we didn't work together so I think that was where the frustration came in and with all the excitement of our new toy I guess I forgot some questions I didn't even think about.
I purchased my Flagstaff at Bayou Outdoors also. I really liked them. I'm positive they will help if you have questions that require a hands on thing, that you can't get solved here on the forums.

Just ask away here on anything you don't understand or need assistance on.

If you have forum related questions or concerns, always feel free to contact me or any other member of your site team. You are double good there cause I'm only 90 miles east of you down I-20 and dcheatwood is south of you in Natchitoches.

I'm going to Private Message you some reading material that may help in your RV edumucation.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I purchased my Flagstaff at Bayou Outdoors also. I really liked them. I'm positive they will help if you have questions that require a hands on thing, that you can't get solved here on the forums.

Just ask away here on anything you don't understand or need assistance on.

If you have forum related questions or concerns, always feel free to contact me or any other member of your site team. You are double good there cause I'm only 90 miles east of you down I-20 and dcheatwood is south of you in Natchitoches.

I'm going to Private Message you some reading material that may help in your RV edumucation.

Oh thank you so much!!!!
Old 08-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #15
Site Team

I'll just post it all here, Amanda. Bayou Outdoors probably gave you a starter kit (they did me), so you should have some basic stuff.

I would advise driving over to harbor freight at 341 Bert Kouns and pick you up some solid rubber chocks. These things are way better than the plastic things. You want to chock those tires so the camper doesn't roll before you unhook from truck, EVERY time. If you watch the sales paper there, you can often get these for $5-6.

https://www.harborfreight.com/solid-...ock-96479.html

-----------------------------------------------------

The below is a copy and paste, and I usually recommend it to those just starting out. Some of it, you may already know, or may not be applicable to your particular RV. You will be able to filter out what pertains to your situation or not. I would suggest you read the electric threads and energy management first.

You can just peruse at your leisure:

Basic electric:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Electric

Your very important converter:

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Suburban water heater (if applicable to your RV):

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post327988

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1527599

Water Heater bypass/crossover valves:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

And the newest addition to help understand what constitutes a true full cylinder in refilling vs exchanging propane cylinders

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-133760.html

Hope this helps.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #16

Welcome and congratulations! FYI, this forum is really good. There is also another forum just for popups. PopUpPortal You will find a LOT of PopUp specific information, there. Not trying to get rid of you, just giving you more information. Back when I had a PuP, that site helped me on MANY occasions!

When you're settled down and learn the basics, you might want to consider getting PopUp Gizmos PopupGizmos. They are reflective covers for your bed ends. It helps keep the ends cooler in the summer and warmer when it is cold out. They do make a BIG difference!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #17

Quote:
OMG that was so me 6 years ago when we purchased our hw277 popup. The dealer had a kid come out and show us the popup and how it worked. But it was a point show, pointed to the furnace and said " that is the furnace", pointed to the roof and said "that is the air conditioner", pointed to some packages and said "that is the shower curtains", etc. etc. etc.
We also did not know what we did not know - so we had no questions. our first outing was very interesting trying to figure everything out. But we did it and had a great time with it. We are now on our second camper, a hybrid. Had many more questions this time LOL.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Y'all seriously saved me!!! There is a little round plastic button in the middle of the light fixtures. I would have never found that on my own.... nor the mound of paperwork given!!!!
Always a learning curve. Took me 4 trip on my last trailer to get the TV to work.
Quote:
I know I am going to feel like an idiot, but..... I just bought my first pop up camper Tuesday and brought it home. I purchased a 2018 Forest River Flagstaff 228BHSE. Where are the overhead light switch to turn off the overhead lights? If I drop the sink they go off but if I am inside and the sink is up they remain on? I can't find any light switch to turn the inside lights off?

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #19

The switch from the water heater is on I just realized from the dealership. Should I turn the switch off and drain all the water that they put in our fresh water tank?
Old 08-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #20

I would. I try not to carry water, since campgrounds I go to have water. Turning off the swing will prevent burning up your heating element.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote