Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2022, 09:18 PM   #1

New Member intro (Hi!)

Hello all! My wife and I just bought a used 2021 Flagstaff Mac 206LTD and we coudn’t be more excited!

We have a few questions though.

First we were told at the dealer not to use the USB ports to charge an iPhone 13 because it would damage the ports and the iPhone. Is this true? Seems weird to me but supposedly it has to do with the 2.4amps instead of 5amps for quick charging?

Nextly we have a Coleman Mach AC unit on the top of our camper. Is this the unit that came from the factory or is this something the previous owner installed? It seems like it has the option for heat as well as cooling, but we haven’t had it plugged into 30amp to know if it heats yet or not.

I’ve read online that the Solar on the side potentially requires ZAMP Solar panels, which have reversed polarity from standard ones. Are there any generic ones that people are using that work well with an adapter?

Anything else we should be aware of getting into all of this that someone wishes they were told when they bought theirs?

(I’m from the Elkhart area originally where these are all made so I am pretty familiar with a lot of these bits but this is the first pop up we have ever owned ourselves so I want to ask!)

Great to meet everyone thanks in advance!

Marc
PhotoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMac View Post
First we were told at the dealer not to use the USB ports to charge an iPhone 13 because it would damage the ports and the iPhone. Is this true? Seems weird to me but supposedly it has to do with the 2.4amps instead of 5amps for quick charging?
Not to put too fine a point on it, be the guy is talking out of his rear end. He is most likely just repeating what was told to him in the Cellular store where he bought his phone, and those guys are just trying to upsell overpriced chargers which at this point most people don't need.

It will probably just charge your phone very slowly. But it is unlikely to damage the phone, and certainly won't damage the camper.

But were I you, I would get one of these, and just charge your phone in your vehicle:

Car Charger, AINOPE Smallest 4.8A All Metal USB Car Charger Fast Charge Car Charger Adapter Flush Fit Compatible with iPhone 13/12/11 pro/XR/x/7/6s, iPad Air 2/Mini 3, Samsung Note 9/S10/S9/S8-Black

I keep about 4 of these with me at all times, charges up my phone in under an hour.

My camper doesn't have any 12V power outlets, and I wish it did. I may add a couple down the line. I've added 6 to my pickup.

"Winter in Phoenix falls on a Tuesday this year..."
Tombstone1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:40 AM   #3

Your Coleman probably came with the rig. Some of them have a heat strip on the unit which will take the chill off unless it's really cold out. It doesn't really heat the rig though. We have a small space heater that's tip proof and cool to the touch (One of us is a bit of a klutz and cool to the touch is necessary)

Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-26-2022, 01:18 AM   #4

Quote:
... I’ve read online that the Solar on the side potentially requires ZAMP Solar panels, which have reversed polarity from standard ones. Are there any generic ones that people are using that work well with an adapter? ...
Zamp really wants you to think that's true.

Use these with any solar suitcase.

SAE to SAE Polarity Reverse Quick Disconnect Cable Plug Adapter for Solar Panel Battery Power Charger - 3Pack:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09DRT8QXS

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:18 AM   #5

Welcome from Virginia !!!!!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:06 AM   #6

Welcome! I would say the AC was probably dealer installed and Coleman AC Mach is the standard I have seen FR pups.

I had one that was heat strip "ready". $80 later and I installed one. If the knob doesn't have a half blue/half red like an older vehicle temp knob color scheme and the on/off know doesn't have a setting for heat (I believe its the first position) then you don't have the heat strip. If you take the inside cover off you will see if its heat ready on the label on the back of the control box.

As has been said it is more complimentary to the propane heater and keeps it from coming on most as much but in LOW temps its not going to keep you hot but better than nothing.

Things you might wish you knew before:
There is A LOT of maintenance. If you don't have it, acquire the owners manual for details from FR on how to care for it from bearing lube to lifter system lube and adjustments through outer body and particularly roof care.

Don't assume everything works and is 100% ok until you have tried it yourself. "Camp Driveway" is good for a dry run so your not far if problems turn up.

If you have a slide-out (I haven't looked at your plan) make sure the tent for the slide-out is draped outside the camper before pushing the bunks in or you will rip things.

Back flush the water heater to remove sediment... I had a BAD clogging problem on my second used unit because of the sediment created by anode rod consumption. (If you don't know what any of that means about your heater then learn)

Make yourself familiar with all the systems from the WFCO 120V to 12V systems, water plumbing as well as propane distribution.

Inspect inside, outside AND underneath! Look for dangling wires etc... that need to be tied back.

The last thing I wish I had know was the large amount of work these can be if they were not well maintained by the prior owner.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:25 AM   #7

Welcome from Wisconsin. Congrats and enjoy your 2021 Flagstaff Mac 206LTD.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdp View Post
... Back flush the water heater to remove sediment... I had a BAD clogging problem on my second used unit because of the sediment created by anode rod consumption. (If you don't know what any of that means about your heater then learn) ...
Sediment is common in all water heaters with an anode. If you have one, do check the condition. To do so, you have to remove it. When you do, it's easy to flush the tank with a cheap wand made for the purpose. (There are alternative approaches.)
Quote:
... The last thing I wish I had know was the large amount of work these can be if they were not well maintained by the prior owner.
That also is not unique to pop-ups. All RVs require continuous maintenance. Don't let that prevent you from enjoying it.

Old 05-26-2022, 08:44 AM   #9

Welcome from SE PA.

No matter what type of RV, there's continuous maintenance required. Wash and wax, repacking the wheel bearings with grease (on Travel Trailers), lubricating all of the moving parts, cleaning the interior, managing moisture, re-sealing the roof, winterizing, de-winterizing, sanitizing the fresh water tanks.

Then there's adding new features and things that break.

Most of the tasks are fairly easy, and there's tons of youtube videos out there on how to DIY them. Some can be fairly time-consuming (like a wash & wax or repacking bearings).

Don't let it scare you though. It's totally manageable, and well worth it for the memories you get to make with your family.

K_M_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:55 AM   #10

Thanks for the replies and info everyone! We are very excited to be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone1881 View Post
Not to put too fine a point on it, be the guy is talking out of his rear end. He is most likely just repeating what was told to him in the Cellular store where he bought his phone, and those guys are just trying to upsell overpriced chargers which at this point most people don't need.

It will probably just charge your phone very slowly. But it is unlikely to damage the phone, and certainly won't damage the camper.
That's kind of what I was thinking considering everybody on this planet has old usb phone chargers and that would essentially mean they were all worthless. Thank you for confirming it for me! When camping we are in no rush to charge our phones, and we have some lithium ion batteries if we really *need* to charge the thing fast or on the go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Zamp really wants you to think that's true.

Use these with any solar suitcase.

SAE to SAE Polarity Reverse Quick Disconnect Cable Plug Adapter for Solar Panel Battery Power Charger - 3Pack:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09DRT8QXS
Thank you for the confirmation on this, the last thing I want to do was plug it in and cause myself issues. Our unit doesn't say ZAMP on the frame, but I have seen a lot of talk about ZAMP on the forum which is why I am curious. Ours says solarontheside.com which takes me to GoPower/Dometic. Will we still need an adapter? Thank you!

Quote:
Welcome! I would say the AC was probably dealer installed and Coleman AC Mach is the standard I have seen FR pups.

I had one that was heat strip "ready". $80 later and I installed one. If the knob doesn't have a half blue/half red like an older vehicle temp knob color scheme and the on/off know doesn't have a setting for heat (I believe its the first position) then you don't have the heat strip. If you take the inside cover off you will see if its heat ready on the label on the back of the control box.

As has been said it is more complimentary to the propane heater and keeps it from coming on most as much but in LOW temps its not going to keep you hot but better than nothing.

Things you might wish you knew before:
There is A LOT of maintenance. If you don't have it, acquire the owners manual for details from FR on how to care for it from bearing lube to lifter system lube and adjustments through outer body and particularly roof care.

Don't assume everything works and is 100% ok until you have tried it yourself. "Camp Driveway" is good for a dry run so your not far if problems turn up.

If you have a slide-out (I haven't looked at your plan) make sure the tent for the slide-out is draped outside the camper before pushing the bunks in or you will rip things.

Back flush the water heater to remove sediment... I had a BAD clogging problem on my second used unit because of the sediment created by anode rod consumption. (If you don't know what any of that means about your heater then learn)

Make yourself familiar with all the systems from the WFCO 120V to 12V systems, water plumbing as well as propane distribution.

Inspect inside, outside AND underneath! Look for dangling wires etc... that need to be tied back.

The last thing I wish I had know was the large amount of work these can be if they were not well maintained by the prior owner.
Good to know about the AC, I couldn't find what brand the AC was stock from Forest River but I was curious. it looks like a low profile unit which I like, and it does indeed have the blue/red knob. Great to know that it's the first position as well. I was totally wondering why there were TWO 'fan low' settings. I'm planning on pulling the interior cover off to check for the heat strip and also to clean any dust out of the filters when we we driveway camp this week. I've already climbed all over the thing looking for things that seem to be amuck, and I am very pleased with what I have or have not found around the rig.

Right now the only reason we haven't driveway camped in it already is because it's been raining since the day we brought it home and we aren't ready for the setting it up in the rain experience. (Why not avoid it if you can right?) We set it up in the driveway and had pizza in it the first afternoon/evening, and then collapsed it for practice knowing it was going to rain non stop after that. And it has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
All RVs require continuous maintenance. Don't let that prevent you from enjoying it.
INDEED! This is one of the reasons we went with a *slightly* used 2021 model, as well as a model that has no shower, no bathroom, no water heater, no built in stereo etc etc etc. It was so slightly used the previous owner didn't even take the sticker off of the fridge. We understand there will be maintenance (We've got two 30+ year old cars in the garage as well that ALWAYS need something) but we wanted to not have to do a TON of maintenance up front and learn more about it as we went.

Like I said we are very excited to be here and looking forward to sharing some photos from our first trip out next week! THANK YOU!
Old 05-26-2022, 05:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the replies and info everyone! We are very excited to be here.

That's kind of what I was thinking considering everybody on this planet has old usb phone chargers and that would essentially mean they were all worthless. Thank you for confirming it for me! When camping we are in no rush to charge our phones, and we have some lithium ion batteries if we really *need* to charge the thing fast or on the go.

Thank you for the confirmation on this, the last thing I want to do was plug it in and cause myself issues. Our unit doesn't say ZAMP on the frame, but I have seen a lot of talk about ZAMP on the forum which is why I am curious. Ours says solarontheside.com which takes me to GoPower/Dometic. Will we still need an adapter? Thank you!

Good to know about the AC, I couldn't find what brand the AC was stock from Forest River but I was curious. it looks like a low profile unit which I like, and it does indeed have the blue/red knob. Great to know that it's the first position as well. I was totally wondering why there were TWO 'fan low' settings. I'm planning on pulling the interior cover off to check for the heat strip and also to clean any dust out of the filters when we we driveway camp this week. I've already climbed all over the thing looking for things that seem to be amuck, and I am very pleased with what I have or have not found around the rig.

Right now the only reason we haven't driveway camped in it already is because it's been raining since the day we brought it home and we aren't ready for the setting it up in the rain experience. (Why not avoid it if you can right?) We set it up in the driveway and had pizza in it the first afternoon/evening, and then collapsed it for practice knowing it was going to rain non stop after that. And it has.

INDEED! This is one of the reasons we went with a *slightly* used 2021 model, as well as a model that has no shower, no bathroom, no water heater, no built in stereo etc etc etc. It was so slightly used the previous owner didn't even take the sticker off of the fridge. We understand there will be maintenance (We've got two 30+ year old cars in the garage as well that ALWAYS need something) but we wanted to not have to do a TON of maintenance up front and learn more about it as we went.

Like I said we are very excited to be here and looking forward to sharing some photos from our first trip out next week! THANK YOU!
If you have 2 fan settings then you may not have the heat strip. The knobs come with the heatstrip. Mine was only all blue and 2 fan positions. When I added the heat strip th new nob was red/blue and I no longer had 2 fan positions rather one was fan the other heat.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:16 PM   #12

Quote:
If you have 2 fan settings then you may not have the heat strip. The knobs come with the heatstrip. Mine was only all blue and 2 fan positions. When I added the heat strip th new nob was red/blue and I no longer had 2 fan positions rather one was fan the other heat.
Ours has the blue and red temperature sticker and the knob reads fan low, fan low, fan high, ac low and ac high. It would make sense that one would be for heat with a new knob, maybe the previous owner lost or broke the heat knob and that’s why we have the blue/red sticker but still the two fan settings? Will pill the cover off and see if I have a heat strip or not before I decide order one though.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2022, 09:33 PM   #13

Quote:
... Thank you for the confirmation on this, the last thing I want to do was plug it in and cause myself issues. Our unit doesn't say ZAMP on the frame, but I have seen a lot of talk about ZAMP on the forum which is why I am curious. Ours says solarontheside.com which takes me to GoPower/Dometic. Will we still need an adapter? Thank you!
Solar on the side is an SAE plug mounted on the outside wall of the trailer, with the attached wires running directly to the battery. It's nothing more. The Zamp issue is that Zamp intentionally reversed the polarity of their plugs from the standard convention to make you think their hardware is incompatible with any other brand.

What you MUST do, regardless of what brand you have, is to confirm the polarity of the connections.

Check the wires that go from the SAE plug mounted on your camper to see which color wire is attached to which pole (male or female) of the plug. Follow the wire to the battery to know which is connected to positive and negative.

BE SURE the polarity of the wires from your portable solar panels are wired accordingly. Don't depend on colors. Follow the wires to their origins be sure. Ideally, use a volt-meter. Use an adapter to match the panels to the wall plug, if needed.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Ours has the blue and red temperature sticker and the knob reads fan low, fan low, fan high, ac low and ac high. It would make sense that one would be for heat with a new knob, maybe the previous owner lost or broke the heat knob and that’s why we have the blue/red sticker but still the two fan settings? Will pill the cover off and see if I have a heat strip or not before I decide order one though.

Thanks!
I don't think you need to pull it apart to know. Just try it on both of the fan position.

It will smell from the element burning stuff off and the air coming out will be a bit warmer than ambient.