RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-02-2017, 09:21 PM   #1

new owner with questions on 2012 rockwood 1940 ltd

HI,

We are brand new to any RV'ing and this fall bought a 2012 rockwood 1940 ltd. It is in pretty good shape and we have cleaned and done a few things, but this years rains here in California mean we haven't even gotten it ready for some camping.

Our first mistake was thinking that turning off the circuit breaker would keep the battery from discharging. We charged it a couple times this spring and opened her up and did a few things, but now I think the battery has died.

We will get a new battery and lesson learned. My real concern is that it seems this model does not have a manual crank for open/close? Can someone verify this? Secondly, it seems that with a dead battery it won't open/close even when plugged in to power? I would have thought that with the pop up plugged in that the winch would still work even if the battery was low or dead, but if not that is very concerning to us. If we are camping and the battery dies how do we get it closed to leave?

I have searched around on the forum here, but can't really find anything. If anyone here can shed some wisdom on this to a very new and very confused owner it would be very much appreciated.

Stephen and Shonne
Foresthill, CA
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #2

On the lift mechanism box there should be a little black circle or plastic cap. This should pop off and inside will be the mechanism to crank manually. Your jack crank should double as the lifting crank too. My access is on the opposite side of the electric lift controls.
Neinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #3

thanks Neinta... I have that part open and that works!!! We were told that it did not have a manual crank by the seller, so glad you are right and he was wrong.

Update as far as my issues. Seems that battery is OK but seems the entire lift mechanism simply needed cleaning and lube. Opens and closes fine now. What had me confused was that it seems the extra friction caused the fuse to pop, but it didn't pop completely. I got a little power to the winch but not full power, which made me think it was the battery. Never seen that with one of those fuses, a partial pop....???

Thanks so much for the help and I am sure I will become a nuisance with all my dumb questions here... LOL !!!

Stephen and Shonne
Foresthill, CA
sands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, rockwood