Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2016, 12:01 PM   #1

New to us 2012 Rockwood HW277 repairs

We just got our 2012 HW277 and though it is in very good shape, we have a couple of things I want to make better.

First, the outside rail has a stripped screwon the far right side. I don't see a support or aid that it was screed into. Should I just move the screw over, or am I mistaken about the support?

Second, the cushion backs on our dinette want to fall over all the time. I looked at adhesive velcro, but it says not to use on vinyl. What can we use to affix these?

Last, having trouble keeping the plastic door frame latches in place. It makes it feel like the frame is our of shape. Is there a solution?

Thanks for any suggestions,
John

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
chapboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapboogie View Post
We just got our 2012 HW277 and though it is in very good shape, we have a couple of things I want to make better.

First, the outside rail has a stripped screwon the far right side. I don't see a support or aid that it was screed into. Should I just move the screw over, or am I mistaken about the support?

Second, the cushion backs on our dinette want to fall over all the time. I looked at adhesive velcro, but it says not to use on vinyl. What can we use to affix these?

Last, having trouble keeping the plastic door frame latches in place. It makes it feel like the frame is our of shape. Is there a solution?

Thanks for any suggestions,
John

The door......are you using the stabilizer jacks to level the camper?
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:32 PM   #3

I didn't level the trailer with them. Used them to stabilize. Pad was flat.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:34 PM   #4

Btw, I meant to say the I couldn't see a stud that the rail was screwed into.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapboogie View Post
I didn't level the trailer with them. Used them to stabilize. Pad was flat.

Then that gets thrown out as a possibility. Okay, last dumb question, was the camper level? You may want to check the door opening with a framing square with the door out to see if the opening is square.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #6

I agree with Trevor43, the NUMBER ONE (caps on purpose) reason for those door latches to break is the trailer not being level front-to-back and side-to-side. I have a 2006 Rockwood Freedom that has had all of them replaced. The local dealer recommended using long bolts with nuts and washers instead of the rivets, that made a big difference. Just an FYI... If you have the vent/fan combo, keep a close eye on the seal around the vent as well as the roof edge of both rails that run the length of the trailer...they tend to dry out and leak.
MikePasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:28 PM   #7

I'll look at level again next time we set it up.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:39 PM   #8

I had a 2012 2280BH and had the door latch issues. They popped loose at the top of the door. It wasn't a level issue, it was the roof AC unit weight and the lean of the roof away from the door when level (may have also been the canvas being screwed down a little funny on one corner...put it in a little bind). I ended up using those corkscrew stakes and ran guy wires from the roof out a few feet to hold the roof over.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:45 PM   #9

That sounds like the issue. There had to be a better way to do that.

Tags
2012, repair, repairs, rockwood