RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #21

Thanks.
for the battery part, I do have an inverter inside teh trailer. I read the battery thread but it was not clear which one should I get in a way that will last for the whole weekend for example.
jaspion3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #22

Water connections. There is likely one to connect "city water" under pressure from a tap.
Another is a tank fill connection that you can either pour water into from a jug or a hose. There should be a check valve that stops the city water or pressurized potable water line from filling and over filling the fresh water tank. Your water pump pulls from the FW tank and can then pressurize the cold & hot water lines. So city water does not go though the water pump.
Note: NEVER turn on your hot water heater without water in it! The electrode will burn up and short out.
I suspect your third water line is a drain for the sink.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #23

Nothing to add here in terms of advice, but just wanted to say its fun to see someone seemingly new to the lifestyle excited and asking questions!
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspion3d View Post
Thanks.
for the battery part, I do have an inverter inside the trailer. I read the battery thread but it was not clear which one should I get in a way that will last for the whole weekend for example.
A fully charged standard battery, with some power use awareness, limitations and family training, should last the weekend boondocking, I.e., no hookups.
Plenty of battery threads here, too. Equally mind numbing There should be a trickle charge to the PUP's battery while hooked up to the running tow vehicle (TV). Not an efficient method to recharge a dead camper battery. Personally, If I had to do that, I'd use jumper cables from the running TV directly to the camper battery.
Since you have no battery to start with, I'd investigate getting two deep cycle 6VDC golf cart type batteries to run in series. I read Costco has great prices. You can run those batteries down much lower without damage. If I was into boondocking, that's the route I'd go, along with some solar.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #25

battery?

you will get a thousand different answers... depends on where you are camping...

yes you need a battery just to make things work...

when you plug into shore power the battery is being charged.

If you p lan on going away to boondock where electric is not available get the biggest (or 2-6 volt) battery you can find that will fit... more battery makes things last longer... some supplement with a gas inverter/generator or a solar array...

make sure you understand that a converter/charger is in the trailer that makes 12VDC from 120 VAC... an INVERTER makes 120 VAC from 12 VDC and is completely different animal...

The Bear Creek Canvas sticker I see is an online place to buy replacement canvas for popups... canvas questions can probably be answered by them.

driveway camp to see what your trailer can do before you actually leave...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #26

I gotta ask. Required by the weight police
What are you towing this with? What is your TV's tow rating & payload capacity?
What is your PUP's Gross Trailer Weight Rating (GTWR)?
Also note your PUP tire's load rating and you should know your PUP's gross axle weight rating (GAWR). Also good to know your TV's rear GAWR.
You don't want to overload your tire's or axles. It's easy to overload your TV and PUP. The PUP tongue weight is part of your GTWR. It's like magic, your GTWR can be listed higher than your trailer's axle rating by the tongue weight to be foisted off on the TV! Mine is with a 3500# axle with a GTWR of 3877#!
The trailer tongue weight counts against your TV's CCC and weighs on the TV rear axle, although with a weight distributing hitch, WDH, some weight may go to the front axle. Most PUPs don't need a WDH but it may be a good thing, depending on the size of the TV & the PUP.
Lastly, water weighs a lot. Only haul it if you need to.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
I gotta ask. Required by the weight police
What are you towing this with? What is your TV's tow rating & payload capacity?
What is your PUP's Gross Trailer Weight Rating (GTWR)?
Also note your PUP tire's load rating and you should know your PUP's gross axle weight rating (GAWR). Also good to know your TV's rear GAWR.
You don't want to overload your tire's or axles. It's easy to overload your TV and PUP. The PUP tongue weight is part of your GTWR. It's like magic, your GTWR can be listed higher than your trailer's axle rating by the tongue weight to be foisted off on the TV! Mine is with a 3500# axle with a GTWR of 3877#!
The trailer tongue weight counts against your TV's CCC and weighs on the TV rear axle, although with a weight distributing hitch, WDH, some weight may go to the front axle. Most PUPs don't need a WDH but it may be a good thing, depending on the size of the TV & the PUP.
Lastly, water weighs a lot. Only haul it if you need to.
So

I using a Grand Caravan with a class III and accordingly to uhaul I'm able to tow 3500lbl.

The trailer GTWR is 2700lbl and the tonge 300 tongue if I'm not wrong.

For this topic this is what I'm doing:

- Installing Brake system on the Van (Trailer already have it)
- Installing a transmission cooler https://www.amazon.ca/Hayden-Automot...gateway&sr=8-2
Old 04-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #28

about the battery , won't be better to have a External gas generator, those quiet ones? I found some in Canada (used) for about 400 dollars, offering 1200W running .

For the propane, I will probably stay with one, since I'm looking to camp almost every weekend if we enjoy it. Just need to find a place to "Refill" (I heard people saying they buy new every time, It is more expensive, isn't it?

I'm trying to find an order, from where to start and this is my list before the driveway camp test:

- Canvas full setup( The middle parts (door) is not fixed in the bottom )
- Tires and Bearings
- Water testings and cleaning.
- Electric testing
- Gas (I already tested, and the stove and fridge worked fine. However the Furnace didn't started and I don't know where should I look too )

About velcros for the door and canvas under the bed, the ones there are old, what types do you recommend?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #29
Site Team

Since nearly everything in a popup runs on 12v DC, get a battery. If you ALWAYS will have shore power, any cheap 12v marine battery will be fine. If you will be dry camping or boondocking, you'll need a dual battery setup, preferably two 6v golf cart batteries.

You said it has an INverter. Are you sure you don't mean a CONverter. All RVs have CONverters, few have INverters.
Popups don't have factory Inverters so if you do, a previous owner installed one.

Lastly, I noticed the Bear Creek Canvas sticker. So a previous owner installed new canvas from them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #30

About the inverter, I meant those new gas power inverter generators like GEnerac IQ2000.

For the Marine battery, the box I have it may have space for only one of the 12 volts Marine .

About the canvas, you are right ! He bought from them and started the installation, however based on the videos I watched installed wrong. It looks that he started the installation from top then bottom and all the videos on the vendor websites demonstrate installation bottom -> up, so I will redo it myself.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:09 PM   #31

On our trips and we have had 4 campers. Take a note pad and a pen and as you need something write it down. We still do after all the years we have been camping. Most of all take your time setting up And do not get frustrated. Practice in the yard setting up. We just purchased our first 5 th wheel so I am learning how to use it
locogk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #32

great. I will have one there
Old 04-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #33

1 bottle of propane should be fine for you

velcro box of 25 feet can be found in Walmart sewing sections...

probably need velcro attached to the bed side of the tent then the tent has velcro already attached to canvas?

usually canvas will have to be wet with a hose along the sewn seams to swell the threads to fill the needle holes... once wet the thread will swell, fill the hole and should not leak again... if it does rub a candle on the threads

there may be a canvas to-do-list with the camper or on their website...

gas powered inverter generators are quiet... cheaper open-frame style generators are loud... your camping neighbors will complain if you get the cheaper loud open-frame style...

they start around $450 ( 1600 watts continuous) if you shop around...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 04-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #34

If I get the gas powered inverter generators do I still need the 12v battery? Is 1000w enough to run inside the camper (Fridge, lights, laptop, anything else? )

thanks
Old 04-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #35

In your second photo, the left is for a pressurized drinking water hook-up with a white drinking water hose. Use a pressure regulator when using a pressurized camp water supply.
The right one looks like an exterior drain for your sink. Hook a short garden hose up to this and the other end goes into a bucket to catch your soapy water from the kitchen sink.
The fill that says "only clean water" is for your fresh water holding tank. This one should be sanitized with a mild bleach solution.
It looks like your popup does not have waste water tanks.
The broken drain hose could have been caused by freezing.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #36

yes battery powers everything in the camper like lights, fridge on propane, and water pump and radio ( not connected to any 120VAC power) AND emergency brakes should the trailer leave the tow vehicle wile towing... you don't want genny running constantly

I personally would opt for 1600-2000 watts for the price difference... engine will idle lower with a larger load and actually save you gas

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 04-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #37

Quote:
If I get the gas powered inverter generators do I still need the 12v battery? Is 1000w enough to run inside the camper (Fridge, lights, laptop, anything else? )

thanks
You still need the battery because you will want to operate the lights, water pump and heater without starting the generator.
I'd get a 2000w generator if you want to run a coffee maker, toaster, microwave and other higher wattage appliances.
Your fridge should run on propane, 12 volt (in some cases) and 120volt. You don't need a generator to run the fridge.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:12 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
I using a Grand Caravan with a class III and accordingly to uhaul I'm able to tow 3500lbl.
A quick google search shows it at 1,800. Although I'm not sure what year you have. A factory installed towing package might help those numbers but if you are installing a transmission cooler, you don't have that.

I pulled a bare bones 10 ft. popup with a minivan for a year or so. No front storage compartment, no AC, no furnace. It handled ok but not great. When we moved up to a 12ft. Rockwood with the front storage and an AC, similair to your picture, we got a 1500 Chevy Suburban. Much better.

I'm not saying yours can't pull it, but I'm guessing it'll be maxed out.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
In your second photo, the left is for a pressurized drinking water hook-up with a white drinking water hose. Use a pressure regulator when using a pressurized camp water supply.
The right one looks like an exterior drain for your sink. Hook a short garden hose up to this and the other end goes into a bucket to catch your soapy water from the kitchen sink.
The fill that says "only clean water" is for your fresh water holding tank. This one should be sanitized with a mild bleach solution.
It looks like your popup does not have waste water tanks.
The broken drain hose could have been caused by freezing.
On the image below I have marked the other in and outs .the Yellow one I don't know what it is:

Black = Furnace vent
Blue = Fresh Water tank
Red = 30amp power cable
Yellow = Have no idea, it looks to be very dirt (back with dust )

Click image for larger version

Name:	parts.PNG
Views:	60
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	201237
Old 04-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
On the image below I have marked the other in and outs .the Yellow one I don't know what it is:

Black = Furnace vent
Blue = Fresh Water tank
Red = 30amp power cable
Yellow = Have no idea, it looks to be very dirt (back with dust )

Attachment 201237
Do you have an A/C on the roof? Could be the cord to connect it.

This thread had a similar question:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...gs-181329.html
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tent trailer, trailer