Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

Newbie Easy Lube Question- Flagstaff 206ST

Hi,

I've been reading lots of good info in the forums on maintenance. I just bought a new to me 2014 Flagstaff Mac 206ST and am looking to grease the easy lube bearings. I am confident I know what to do with the greasing process. My question is the following. My wheel has a decorative white covering that partially covers the EZ-Lube Grease cap. The end is open and I can see the rubber cap so I assume this is by design to facilitate greasing. My question is can I remove the rubber cap and grease the bearings with the white shroud in place or do I have to take the tire off and remove the white covering before proceeding.

Please see attached picture for clarity.

Thanks in advance
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2942.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	115722  
timbittes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
Sham183

I would say by the looks of it you should be able to access the grease zerk without removing the tire. I would shine a light in there and if you see the zerk give it a few shots of grease and you should be good. Make sure you get a good hi temp wheel bearing grease to.

Tim
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #3

Other suggestions have been to grease AFTER a trip when bearings are warm, not to blow seals. If bearings have been packed full, only a few shots should be enough.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #4

Hello Tim,
A couple of points....

1) It looks as if the decorative cap should have a rubber plug in so 'stuff' does not get in there.I would guess that the former owner could not get the outer rubber plug back on. Yes, the EZ lube has a rubber cover also, but that is on the hub cap.

2) When these units are 'new', the hubs are not fully greased in the cavities of the hubs, only the bearings are greased and this grease will be lost into the hub cavity. When 'greasing' the 'hubs' for the first time by you, each hub will take over a 1/4 tub of grease before any grease will come out around the seal edges to show that the bearings/hub cavity is full.

3) you should take the tire/wheel off when greasing the hubs to see and clean up any overflow. Also, when the tire is up off the ground it is a good time to check all the brakes and tension on the brakes. And to look at each tire for wear and balance issues.

4) Also, do not rely on just the EZ grease set up. This is only for a 'time to time' grease the bearings process. If you have not done this, it is really time to pull every wheel and pull every hub and visually look at every brake assembly and every bearing and spindle and put a new Seal and regrease (repack) every bearing and reset every brake tightness. If you do not know how to do all of this, it is very easy to learn and a very good way to 'get to know' your unit. If you need 'help' and/or 'advice', there are many on this forum that will help you.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #5

Thanks for all the advice. I confirmed by online pictures that other Flagstaff 206ST and Rockwood 1910 trailers have the same design with the white part open (so previous owner did not lose the cap). To be on the safe side I will remove the tire and cover before proceeding.

Tim
Old 07-29-2016, 03:16 PM   #6

I used the Ultra lube (same as the EZ lube but different axle mfgr) for three years with NO problems. Important to raise that side of the trailer an SPIN the tire while pumpin grease into the hub. Easier to spin with tire installed.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:06 PM   #7

f5moab. I used the term EZ Lube not realizing it was a brand name. My trailer has AL-KO UltraLube. I am going to try your approach first and take the wheel off only if necessary or if I think I need to clean anything up.

Tim
Old 07-29-2016, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbittes View Post
f5moab. I used the term EZ Lube not realizing it was a brand name. My trailer has AL-KO UltraLube. I am going to try your approach first and take the wheel off only if necessary or if I think I need to clean anything up.

Tim
on my 25KS, I also have the extended cap in the center of the rim like you do and the grease fitting is inside with the rubber seal over it, ..... so I didn't have to remove the tire to avoid a big mess, I stuffed that void area with paper towels around the center hub to keep the old grease from running out into that area and making a big mess, ...... then when finished greasing you can remove the paper towels, ..... should also jack the tire off the ground and turn it as you SLOWLY pump the grease gun, .......forcing the grease too fast can blow out the rear seal and then the grease will leak out the back(big mess) and not come forward thru the bearings to the front of the hub,......

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:56 PM   #9

When I do mine, I just use a rag to clean up the grease that comes out from the outer part of the hub. Messy, but easy to do.
And make sure to use a hand pump. If the rear seal blows out, it is more than a big mess, it is grease all over the brake shoes and inner drum.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 07-31-2016, 10:05 AM   #10

Just did this on our 5th wheel. The problem with the cap was that you can't reach in to wipe the excess grease off the hub. That excess grease will spin out as you travel making an awful mess. Another issue is getting the rubber cap back on the hub after greasing. Do yourself a favor and take the time to take the wheels off and then grease.
tahoe1840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:29 AM   #11

I am fixing to order these center caps from Etrailer. As mention before it looks to be almost impossible to get rubber cover back on the hub through the little hole. For $9.00 bucks it looks like it will save a lot of time.

http://www.etrailer.com/static/image...45BHS_7_50.jpg
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:07 PM   #12

Hate to hijack this but can bearing buddys but used on a TT
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:09 PM   #13

yes,

still better to hand pack.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:37 PM   #14

Don't think they will work with ez lube hubs. The hubs already have grease fittings.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:04 PM   #15

Don't believe you can have both. And if you search for bearing buddies you will find many do not like them; whereas, the EZ-lube and Ultra-lube, many (like me) have had great experiences with them.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBar View Post
Don't think they will work with ez lube hubs. The hubs already have grease fittings.
My wildwood doesn't have ez lube type axles, just the old style. Wanting a quick way to lube an extra time during the season without taking apart.
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe1840 View Post
Just did this on our 5th wheel. The problem with the cap was that you can't reach in to wipe the excess grease off the hub. That excess grease will spin out as you travel making an awful mess. Another issue is getting the rubber cap back on the hub after greasing. Do yourself a favor and take the time to take the wheels off and then grease.
Got it done this weekend. First attempt with white cover on was as described above. Although it can be done it is much easier with cover off. The rubber cap is almost impossible to get on with the white cap still on. Ended up doing both with wheel off.

Thanks for everyones advice. I got them greased and will do a proper repack when I have sufficient time in September.

Tim
Old 08-02-2016, 11:36 AM   #18

Did mine for first time this morning, took about an hour. I removed the wheels to get the white plastic cap off and to get to rubber hub cover, replacing them with center caps that go on the outside of wheel. Took one 14oz tube of bearing grease to get them both done. Dealer said they did it when I bought it last year, but now I have peace of mine knowing for sure it was done.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
yes,

still better to hand pack.

Totally agree. This ez-lube stuff is nonsense. It is inadequate and a total waste of lube. Can also cause seal and brake issues.

Without pulling the hub and inspecting, you don't know the condition of things.

A proper hand-pack will serve you well for A LOT of miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
Totally agree. This ez-lube stuff is nonsense. It is inadequate and a total waste of lube. Can also cause seal and brake issues.

Without pulling the hub and inspecting, you don't know the condition of things.

A proper hand-pack will serve you well for A LOT of miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And I will disagree as someone who has had great success with the Ultra-lube system on the AL-KO axle. And personally, don't know anyone who has had a problem; if done correctly.

But we all have different opinions on this system and is starting to be like Ford vs. Chevy vs. Ram, etc.

Tags
flagstaff, newbie