Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2021, 08:10 AM   #1

Newbie Here

Questions;

1) To level my pop up camper Rockwood 2716F, what size of pieces of wood I will need to get (going to Home Depot) and get them. Please let me know whick wood I should buy and cut size.

2) when I plug in the water hose to the city water hook up, turn the sprocket on, would the water stop filling when the city water tank is full, or it will come up through the sink? Will also the city water filled my water heater tank at the same time? I do understand the city water does not fill the shower or the cassette toilet.
Thank you in advance
Wengerda1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:26 AM   #2

1) Wood is fast and cheap to use. After a few years of wood I bought a second set of lynx levelers to put under the stab jacks (they are not levelers). Mostly because it fits in a compact footprint and is lighter than a bunch of wood. Having said that about a 12-16 inch 2x4 will usually suffice. EDIT: under tires about an inch thick for better control of level and in the 6-8 inch wide range depending on your tire footprint width.

Something you may not have considered is levelers for side to side. Jacks are not for "leveling" the camper. They are for stabilizing. When you roll in to a camping site you will likely be leaning left or right. The way you correct that is with some sort of leveling device on one side. I use lynx levelers under the low side tire to even out the side to side. Front to back is achieved via the tongue jack. Once you are level then you use the stab jacks to support the corners. People love and swear by the BAL leveler and I admit it looks easy to use. The problem for me is the unnaturally small area it is grabbing the tire with and expecting it to support that sides weight. I am afraid used for extended periods, particularly in temp extremes, it could lead to the tire becoming misshaped. Levelers under the tires allow them to support the way they are meant to.

2) Your second question is a bit more complicated. When you screw in "City water" hose to the camper I assume you mean the constant city supply connection. Meaning when you turn on the sink or shower if you have one you are drawing water from the hose. In that situation there is no tank unless you have a hot water heater. The water heater doesn't really fill unless you open up the hot tap to let water in and push all the air inside out of it. **Warning** do not turn on the water heater if it is empty or you can damage it!

If you are referring to the water reservoir fill then you just fill it until its full. Some people use in-line water hose digital meters to measure how much water went in or you can just fill till it starts backing up the fill tube.

Lynx Levelers:
https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-0001...2035781&sr=8-4

BAL Leveler:
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/LIGHT...RoCS4sQAvD_BwE

Water Meter:
https://www.amazon.com/Save-a-Drop-P...15394232&psc=1
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:32 AM   #3

1.) If I was to use wood, I would get a 2x8 at minimum. The length will be determined by the contact patch of your tire. You will want the tire to be fully on the face of the wood. You will then need progressive lengths of wood, in order to make a ramp when you need more than one board for leveling. They get heavy and take alot of room to carry. If your camper is single axle, a BAL leveler is a good choice. They are a little expensive, but they are fantastic for leveling your camper. Another option is leveling blocks. There are different manufacturers, but they are all pretty much plastic squares that interlock and stack together. They can make the "ramp" so you can get up on them. They pack away nicely also. You can also use them under your stabilizer feet. Some brands have chocks that lock into the blocks.

2.) When you hook up your hose to city water, and then hook that up to your camper, you are using the water pressure from the hose to get water out of your sink, shower, toilet. You do not fill your fresh water tank this way. You can fill your water heater with this method by having your water heater off, turn on your hot water faucet, and wait for water to come out. Then your water heater is full. You have to fill your fresh water tank manually through the fresh water inlet on the side of your camper. You will fill it until water starts to come back out the fill. Then you get water at your sink, shower, toilet from your water pump. If you have no shower, and have a cassette toilet, you should have a hand pump by your sink. If you have a water heater, you would fill the tank, and with your water heater off, turn on your hot water faucet until water comes out. Then your water heater is full. You can then fill your fresh water tank back up with the amount that went into your water heater (6 to 10 gallons).
smither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:36 AM   #4

Ahh.... level the tires with wood? I might have misunderstood. Yes you need to cover the space the tire contacts the road as smither just said.

going with an inch thick board gives you greater control over how close you get to being perfectly level.
flyerdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:43 AM   #5

the cheapest wood these days at Home Depot is the 5 1/2 inch wide "dog earred" fence posts... about 3/4 inch thick... cut them about 14 inches long... put a bevel on one edge of each board... add a couple of scrap pieces of 14 inch 2x6 for good measure... can usually find something in their scrap bin for cheap...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:34 PM   #6
Site Team

With prices of wood right now, a set of Lynx Levelers might be cheaper.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:00 PM   #7

Thank you for the info ��
Old 05-26-2021, 02:01 PM   #8

Thanks

Tags