Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #1

No battery power / Fuse keeps popping

Hello, I've got a issue I was hoping to get some advice on.

I have a 2007 Flagstaff 208 MAC that I purchased last year. When I pulled it out this year, I noticed the battery power didn't work on our second camping trip.

On the converter panel, the upper-most fuse (20) was blown and the accompanying red light was on (when plugged into shore power). When I replaced it, the power meter shows a Fault of "Low Voltage" and and when I plug the camper into shore power, the fuse blows out immediately.

My battery is dated from 2009, so it may need to be checked/replaced, however I'm wondering if it make sense the fuse would continue to blow as soon as I plug in from a dead battery? That doesn't seem to make as much sense to me, but who knows. I've checked the wiring and "reset" the power outlet that resides next to the converter.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
coloradorookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

First of all yes the battery needs to be checked and see if its good or not.
Second the converter need to be checked.
If it's a wfco in here you'll find the troubleshooting guide.
Forest River Forums - Downloads - Power and Electrical
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #3

Ok, gonna check/replace battery tomorrow then I'll report back - thanks.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradorookie View Post
Ok, gonna check/replace battery tomorrow then I'll report back - thanks.
I suspect you battery has a short within. Inside battery itself.
goody59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

DEAD does not mean no voltage or the inability to produce current.

A "dead" battery is any "12 volt" battery with less than 10.5 volts.

I would look at what is on the 20 amp fused circuit.
What is written next to it?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #6

Ok - went to have the battery test at Interstate Battery but they had closed. So, went ahead and purchased a new battery at Costco (figured I'll go out on me soon anyhow), hooked it up to the trailer.

It appears all's well now - I didn't open the pop-up yet to test all the accessories, but when I put the new fuse in the WFCO showed green and when I plugged in shore power the fuse didn't immediately blow.

So, seems a bad battery can cause this particular fuse to blow but I'll open up the camper tomorrow to make sure everything's okay before I store it until our Labor Day trip.

Speaking of batteries, will this battery run my pop-up for 3 days on its own? I've never tried it as my sole power, but I'm thinking it can do it. I can run the fridge on propane, and use the camper heater sparingly overnight as long as our two heated mattresses aren't too much of a drain.... what do you think? I really don't want to buy a generator for 3-4 day trips on 12V.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:06 AM   #7
Denver, CO

Need information on the batteries AND on what the mattress heaters draw, but unless you are really careful, probably not. Many posts on this but a typical single deep cycle is really only good for one day, if you expect it to last.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:15 AM   #8

Are the heated mattresses 12V? Mine are 110V only and will only work with shore power.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrstroke2012 View Post
Are the heated mattresses 12V? Mine are 110V only and will only work with shore power.
Ditto. I pondered the question of purchasing an invertor to power heated mattress. After many inputs and math calculations, decided not worth the expense for an invertor and the additional two batteries have to add to the pair I use.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #10

ok - so my battery I purchased was a Kirkland Marine/RV Deep Cycle battery, Group 27DC, 115 Amp hour, 750 Marine Cranking Amps, 600 Cold Cranking Amps.

Seems like a strong battery to me. The mattresses say 120V only so I guess I can't run the mattresses w/o a generator or shore power - but that's a little odd b/c I plug the mattresses into my outlets on the camper. But I suppose my battery doesn't actually run these outlets I guessing.

Our next trip is at 8500 ft. elev. with no shore power, so I'm wondering how long I can expect this battery to power occasional ceiling dome lights - probably use for a few hours each night AND my heater occasionally at night (since I can't use the heated mattresses)?

I'm thinking my built-in heater draws a lot of power. I can fire up the fridge on propane once we get settled or just use a cooler. Can I make it 3 nights with occasional heater use at night and interior lighting? If not, I guess it's essentially tent camping which ain't so bad I suppose! lol! Thanks!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
ok - so my battery I purchased was a Kirkland Marine/RV Deep Cycle battery, Group 27DC, 115 Amp hour, 750 Marine Cranking Amps, 600 Cold Cranking Amps.

Seems like a strong battery to me. The mattresses say 120V only so I guess I can't run the mattresses w/o a generator or shore power - but that's a little odd b/c I plug the mattresses into my outlets on the camper. But I suppose my battery doesn't actually run these outlets I guessing.

Our next trip is at 8500 ft. elev. with no shore power, so I'm wondering how long I can expect this battery to power occasional ceiling dome lights - probably use for a few hours each night AND my heater occasionally at night (since I can't use the heated mattresses)?

I'm thinking my built-in heater draws a lot of power. I can fire up the fridge on propane once we get settled or just use a cooler. Can I make it 3 nights with occasional heater use at night and interior lighting? If not, I guess it's essentially tent camping which ain't so bad I suppose! lol! Thanks!
first, you need to learn how the electrical systems work in your popup.
there are two separate sides, 12vDC and 110vAC.
your outlets ONLY work on shore power or with a generator. therefore plugging your heated mattresses into the outlets won't work if you only have your 12v battery power.
i suggest you Google, the 12 Volt Side of Life. this is a good place to learn how the systems work.
second, yes your FURNACE will use up more battery power than anything else in the trailer. it's a power hog.
your fridge will draw very little battery power to operate on propane.

as far as how long the battery will last, if you use the furnace all night, it quite possibly could be drained by the next morning.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #12

Quote:

I'm thinkin buy two more good blankets, one under the sheets and one above with your others. Do not run heater at night, use only am for a bit to take the chill off. Use safe candles instead of the power hog lamps, then you might make 3 days on the fully charged battery. In my popup years ago I went 3-4 days easily this way. (Main job for battery was to lift roof with hyd pump, sparingly.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #13

Thanks for the advice guys - our popup has a manual crank to open. I'm thinking we won't need heat at all. I've notice out here in Colorado it warms up nicely in the AM so stepping outside solves the morning chill. I guess the water pump will be used sparingly, plus the fridge even when on propane, but that's about it... looks like I won't need to haul a generator after all (which is what I'm trying to avoid really). Thanks.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #14

X2 on the heater. Those built in heaters have one heck of a power draw. We do Civil War reenacting in Fla, and camp in fields with no power almost always. The heater is the biggest battery drain by a long shot. Water pump would be the next one. Get a generator for the daytime hours, it will recharge the battery as well, or you COULD plug in the pigtail to your tow vehicle, and run it for a few hours to recharge! Good Luck, Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #15

You can get a catalytic heater that runs on small propane tanks to take off the chills, we used them in our pop up many times. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #16

I just put a new deep cycle battery in my Rockwood tent trailer and took it out last week. Ran the lights minimally but used the heater at night. It lasted about 3 days and then needed to be charged. In retrospect, I would have turned off the heater right before I climbed into my sleeping bag at night and it probably would have lasted the week.