Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #1

Noob with 2003 Flagstaff MAC/LTD 205

Greetings, my name is Brandon, and two weeks ago I purchased a 2003 Flagstaff MAC/LTD 205.

The gentleman that I purchased it from only used it for dry camping (he used the stove; furnace and fridge, and DID NOT use the toilet; shower or sink), and I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

The entry side of the trailer (right side?) has a water inlet, and that fills the tank that is under the dinette seat.

On the "other" side of the trailer, there is another water inlet. That fills a tank that is under the unit. Problem is, about 5-10 seconds after I start filling this tank, it starts leaking onto the ground. I shut off the petcock drain valve, and that was not it.

I kept looking, and I found this cut hose. I wondered if it would "close" by turning it, but I spun it all the way around, and it never quit pouring out the water. In the picture below, you can see the cut hose.

I looked around a little more, and I see a connection, with two different kinds of hose being connected. Was this formerly a "T" connection? (If you look a little to the left, in the picture below, you can see the cut hose.)

Lastly, the Owners Manual is pretty brief when it talks about "Drainage". the only thing it really talks about is the sink, and how that will drain out the drain fitting on the outside. That should either be tied to a camp septic system, or into a bucket for proper disposal.

What about the black PVC pipe under the front, left-hand corner? What is that for? The shower? If just the shower?

It seems to receive water from TWO places under the floor. The shower and what(?) is this draining?

Other than that, I have yet to be able to light the Hot Water Tank. I can get the pilot light lit, but as I turn the valve into the "On" position, the flame goes out. I spent about 10-15 minutes with that before I lost interest.

Any insight that is offered will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you!

Brandon
Papa Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #2

Here it is, in all of its' glory, set up near Stanley, ID. I froze that night, as I did not know how to turn on the furnace. I figured that out once I drug it back home.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:40 PM   #3

Stanley, one of my favorite places. And it sure can get cold up there in the night.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #4

As a follow-up, I visited the local Forest River dealer (Happy Camper) yesterday at lunch. (The unit was originally sold by All American RV, but they have subsequently closed their doors.)

Happy Camper was happy to help, but most of my questions I asked were returned with some strange looks.

I told them I have a water inlet on the left side of the trailer, and showed them the picture of the tank underneath.

"That is your fresh water tank" they replied.

Then I told them that the cut hose just leaks that water onto the ground, and that I also have a water inlet on the right side of the unit, filling a tank located under the front seat of the dinette.

That REALLY puzzled them. Ultimately, they surmised that the tank under the unit is probably cracked, and a previous owner had the tank under the dinette installed, cut the hose from the cracked tank, and connected the new tank to the pick-up line to the water pump.

That scenario would REALLY surprise me, as the guy I bought it from said he never used any of the water systems (he had owned it the last 3 years); and that the owner prior to him only used the unit for a sleeping unit while working the summers at a camp.

For it being 12 years old, it looks NEW, inside and out. I don't see any damage when looking at the bottom.

No scrapes. No paint dings on the leaf springs. Nothing showing on the bottom of the tank.

I might just have to hook the unit up, drag it down to Happy Camper, pop it up, and then have them walk me through it.

Brandon
Old 08-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
peaceparson

Brandon: First, I have learned (sometimes the hard way) to NOT believe any stories told by sellers of vehicles, campers, or most anything else that has been used. Now to the question about the "cut hose". In the one picture that you shared, I saw a plastic tank, with a valved hose or tube. That valve is to drain the tank. If water does not stop draining when you turn the valve, the valve is bad, or else the tank leaks. The second tank is a mystery. I have a Flagstaff, same model, that does not have such a tank. Mine has a toilette cassette, but that has a pull-out waste tank and supply tank accessed through a door on the side of the trailer. A second fresh-water tank is probably an add-on either to increase capacity, or else to replace one that has cracked or been incurably infected. Our trailer has an access on the door side, but that is for a hose from the gas tank to supply an accessory grill.
I would definitely see the folks at Happy Camper and inquire about the two tanks, but I would be leery about using either of them unless they are completely disinfected.
peaceparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #6

I have a 2011 Flagstaff 205 and there is only one fresh water tank, which is identical to one in the photo above and the fill is on the side of the camper with the hot water heater. I would agree that the previous owner, or someone before him, added the new holding tank under the dinette. I use both sides of my dinette for storage and couldn't dream of losing half of it. But anyway, as for lighting the hot water heater, i have to hold the pilot button down for a long time before my pilot will light, but once it lights and i turn to on, there is not mistaking it is on. The flame sounds like a jet taking off.
gradytracydavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceparson View Post
Brandon: First, I have learned (sometimes the hard way) to NOT believe any stories told by sellers of vehicles, campers, or most anything else that has been used. Now to the question about the "cut hose". In the one picture that you shared, I saw a plastic tank, with a valved hose or tube. That valve is to drain the tank. If water does not stop draining when you turn the valve, the valve is bad, or else the tank leaks. The second tank is a mystery. I have a Flagstaff, same model, that does not have such a tank. Mine has a toilette cassette, but that has a pull-out waste tank and supply tank accessed through a door on the side of the trailer. A second fresh-water tank is probably an add-on either to increase capacity, or else to replace one that has cracked or been incurably infected. Our trailer has an access on the door side, but that is for a hose from the gas tank to supply an accessory grill.
I would definitely see the folks at Happy Camper and inquire about the two tanks, but I would be leery about using either of them unless they are completely disinfected.
peaceparson,
Thank you for the response! Getting down to the brass tacks, I simply want to find out if the "fresh water tank" (the one that seems to be "stock", with the fill located on the left side of the unit.

I see three things in play:
First off, it does have a petcock valve. I assumed that would be the "drain" for the tank. Do I have that right, or wrong?

When I closed the petcock, the water stopped coming from there, but that is when I noticed the cut hose.

You stated that was a "valve", and it SHOULD shut off the water. I also thought that might be the case, so I spun that thing the whole way around. It never slowed down the water coming from it.

BUT, when I was under there, that is when I noticed the coupler.
To me, it looks like the hose that is still on the tank is VERY SIMILAR to the hose that is on the left side of the coupler. I am guessing that (for WHAT EVER REASON) tank was abandoned, and the hose from the new tank (under the dinette) is joined on the right side of the coupler.

I dunno. The guy who sold it to me REALLY comes across as believable. I told him that I was still having issues, and he was MORE THAN WILLING to come back over (he has been back by the house twice already bringing stuff that was left behind the night of the sale), but he said that he never used the water systems, and I believe him.

I think that whatever "solution" I am dealing with here was before him.

My wife and I went up and visited the Selway River this past weekend, and had a great time. We were comfortable, and used the stove; furnace; and fridge.

We still have not been able to fire up the hot water heater. Before we left town, I got the pilot light lit, and I wedged a wrench in there to keep the pilot going while I was finishing up stuff to prepare to leave. That thing MUST have been burning for at least 30 minutes. (I had blow out all of the tubing with compressed air prior).

Whenever I turned the knob from "Pilot" over to the "On" position, it went out.

From here, I think my course of action is to try and cap (or plug) that extension that has the cut hose on it.

Does that tank hold water or not?

Once I know that, I will know if I want to try and get it back into the fresh water system. If it does not hold water, I can either decide on replacing it, or just going with the tank under the dinette.

Other than that, I will continue to try and light the HWT, and if I continue to struggle, I'll hook it up and drag it down to Happy Camper.

They should be able to figure it out in a jiffy!

Again, THANK YOU for your input!

Brandon
Old 08-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #8

Well, got at least PART of the puzzle solved.

I got underneath it last night, and plugged the cut hose outlet. Once that was sealed, I filled up the tank. Within about 1 or 2 minutes, a slow leak presented itself.

It appears that the tank is hitting the axle. I was already considering an "Spring Over Axle" conversion, and this finding will increase my desire to do that.

Once I get the axle off the tank, and get that sealed up, I guess I will have some decisions to make at that time.

Put this tank back into use, and pull the tank under the dinette for more storage?

Fuse this tank and the one under the dinette seat together to increase my fresh-water capacity? (My wife and I will not be drinking water out of these tanks.)

Maybe convert this tank into some kind of "grey" water storage?

I dunno. We'll see what direction this goes....
Old 08-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #9

Since it appears you like to camp in out of the way places, like I do, I highly recommend a spring over axle.

Mine gave me about 4.5 inches and allowed me to go up to 215x70 15 tires for another (approx.) inch of clearance.

And your original photo, is that one of those dispersed areas off Stanley Lake Road, just before the Stanley Lake Campground? Looks similar to a place I camped a few weeks ago.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 08-14-2015, 09:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Since it appears you like to camp in out of the way places, like I do, I highly recommend a spring over axle.

Mine gave me about 4.5 inches and allowed me to go up to 215x70 15 tires for another (approx.) inch of clearance.

And your original photo, is that one of those dispersed areas off Stanley Lake Road, just before the Stanley Lake Campground? Looks similar to a place I camped a few weeks ago.
Hey f5moab!
That picture is from the dispersed campsites right near Cape Horn. A buddy here at work suggested that I go there, and it was great.

As for the SOA (looks like I might have had that backwards in my earlier post), I just thought that would be a good idea as insurance. Last week, I was trying to get into a spot up on the Selway, and I about dug it in a couple of times. Now that I know that it is also causing issues with the stock water tank, seems like it is more of a "need" than a "want".

Thank you!

Brandon
Old 08-14-2015, 09:49 AM   #11

One more thing, going with a spring over, and adding larger tires, means you can dump those ST tires and go with an off-road tire. I run Yokohama Geolander ATs.

Tags
flagstaff