Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2020, 03:31 AM   #1

Not getting lighter

I wrote 2 pages of explanation and ideas and deleted it all... im fat and floors are thin. Has anyone stiffened the floors by applying fiberglass resin overhead from underneath the floor? My camper is a flagstaff23se ( i think) its a pop up with small atv platform up front 2019 model i think but it is used. Bonus points if anyone has some factory type install / upgrades ideas for the fresh water tanks. Remote and quiet unimproved campgrounds are the only ones I will be at and my wife and 3 kids even giving themselves bucket baths run through the tank in lightning speed. I will be enforcing some water preservation tactics in addition.
Jram84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:15 AM   #2

In my unit, the trusses are every 4ft and are metal 1x2 for top and bottom with 1"2" round bar making up the cross sections. Poor design. I plan on using either 2x6 to span the 4ft in between, or have a welding shop weld in 2x2 angle.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:01 AM   #3

Is it possible to put plywood over the top and then apply new flooring?
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jram84 View Post
I wrote 2 pages of explanation and ideas and deleted it all... im fat and floors are thin. Has anyone stiffened the floors by applying fiberglass resin overhead from underneath the floor? My camper is a flagstaff23se ( i think) its a pop up with small atv platform up front 2019 model i think but it is used. Bonus points if anyone has some factory type install / upgrades ideas for the fresh water tanks. Remote and quiet unimproved campgrounds are the only ones I will be at and my wife and 3 kids even giving themselves bucket baths run through the tank in lightning speed. I will be enforcing some water preservation tactics in addition.
Assuming your OSB is not rotted or soft from wetness, applying fiberglass resin from below is not going to add any significant strength. You are not going to get any penetration into the OSB (Oriented Strand Board is used in lieu of marine plywood by most Forest River pop-ups and A-frames on top of the steel frame) or even plywood applying from below. Even if you did, resin by itself doesn't add much strength. That's why layer(s) of fiber glass cloth are embedded in the resin in real world fiberglass.

Unfortunately, I believe the OSB underlayment runs all the way across the frame in probably 3 pieces total. Which means all the cabinetry has to be removed to get at the top of the OSB.

I see only 2 practical solutions without ripping the camper apart:
  • cut and add additional layer(s) of OSB or marine plywood between the metal grid pieces.
  • add additional metal frame pieces to reduce spacing between frame supports.
For the shower issue, use what we used to use on our sailboats - 5 gal solar shower bags. Fill them from another source, and hang them up at the campsite. The water might even get warm if there is any sunlight on it. See if 2 can make do with a single bag for the shower. If not, make them fetch the shower water.

hope this helps
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote